UNC Postgame Thoughts | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Postgame Thoughts

I don't think Doug Marrone wants the job, but IMO SU should pursue him. The only time since P was fired that it sort of felt like we were getting back to those days you could count on the team playing soundly was 2012 under Marrone. Also was the only period we had a functioning offensive line (Ok I'll give you 2018 on that). The facilities, league & TV schedule, recruiting infrastructure, and budget for assistant salaries have all been made over since the time Marrone was here. It will be really hard to find a top 5% coach, but that's what is needed to be successful at SU.

If a coach is winning at Kansas, surely he will have his sights set higher than Syracuse for the next stop, eg, the B1G or SEC.
Agreed - when Marrone arrived and I saw the product on the field I thought at least we can be competitive. Even with far less talent. He was not perfect by any means but he was a competitor and got the best out of what he had.

I just don’t see how Dino gets any more chances after this year, even with 7 wins and a bowl game. At least a new coach would come in with a couple winning seasons to use in recruiting under that scenario.

I don't think Doug Marrone wants the job, but IMO SU should pursue him. The only time since P was fired that it sort of felt like we were getting back to those days you could count on the team playing soundly was 2012 under Marrone. Also was the only period we had a functioning offensive line (Ok I'll give you 2018 on that). The facilities, league & TV schedule, recruiting infrastructure, and budget for assistant salaries have all been made over since the time Marrone was here. It will be really hard to find a top 5% coach, but that's what is needed to be successful at SU.

If a coach is winning at Kansas, surely he will have his sights set higher than Syracuse for the next stop, eg, the B1G or SEC.
Your answer is in your first sentence. He jetted in the middle of the night. There were comments he made inferring his displeasure with (shocker alert) lack of buts in the pews and poor facilities that bothered him. He is never coming back. Would be gteat, but no way

I don’t know how anybody can watch yesterday’s game and feel any satisfaction about the state of the program. It was the rare game when you can say that absolutely nothing good happened. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball, were clearly not properly prepared or coached and played with no urgency or efficiency. If yesterday didn’t make the administration rethink everything about this program, then nothing will. It was a complete disgrace.

I don’t know how anybody can watch yesterday’s game and feel any satisfaction about the state of the program. It was the rare game when you can say that absolutely nothing good happened. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball, were clearly not properly prepared or coached and played with no urgency or efficiency. If yesterday didn’t make the administration rethink everything about this program, then nothing will. It was a complete disgrace.
When you have those kinds of losses, I think you need to win at least 8-9 games for people to feel good.

Go 7-6 and get blown off the field 3 times or something, and that’s Scott Shafer’s “good” season. Not all that inspiring. A season like that is ok if it’s a subpar year for you, but if it’s your “good” year….

Marrone hated recruiting.

I can't imagine he'd be thrilled in the "free agent" era where every other school has way more NIL money to toss around.

Utah leased everyone of their players a pick-up truck.

What can we do? One SUV for the entire OL to share? It might come in handy on Turning Stone nights.

Marrone hated recruiting.

I can't imagine he'd be thrilled in the "free agent" era where every other school has way more NIL money to toss around.

Utah leased everyone of their players a pick-up truck.

What can we do? One SUV for the entire OL to share? It might come in handy on Turning Stone nights.
CuseRunner, can you help us out here? What do you have on that lot these days?

We’ve proven after eight years we can’t get an offensive line to protect the quarterback.
In 2021, where we ran a LOT of Schmidt plays, we had our best running attack. Tucker for 1500 was no accident. And then we went back to what didn't work.

In 2021, where we ran a LOT of Schmidt plays, we had our best running attack. Tucker for 1500 was no accident. And then we went back to what didn't work.

By kicking a lot of FG's? jk

Unfortunately there is zero chance Marrone would return. He hated recruiting / kissing teenagers asses and imo will never go back to that lifestyle.

By kicking a lot of FG's? jk
LOL. Good oline coach. Bergeron's pff grade increased by 20 points, the following year. Had we always had THAT level of oline coaching, AND the scheme to utilize it? I think our record would be far better.
I often feel we run "these" plays - because. Adapting to the players you have, and areas you can improve, seems a better option. I feel like we're often trying to fit square pegs, into round holes... That leaves the QB having to improvise, and make stuff up. Not good, Jim.

LOL. Good oline coach. Bergeron's pff grade increased by 20 points, the following year. Had we always had THAT level of oline coaching, AND the scheme to utilize it? I think our record would be far better.
I often feel we run "these" plays - because. Adapting to the players you have, and areas you can improve, seems a better option. I feel like we're often trying to fit square pegs, into round holes... That leaves the QB having to improvise, and make stuff up. Not good, Jim.

OL is the always the key and is there a good teacher out there that can get the most out of 2 to 3 stars?

And did Schmidt leave because of the different philosophy or more cash?

Unfortunately there is zero chance Marrone would return. He hated recruiting / kissing teenagers asses and imo will never go back to that lifestyle.
And who can blame him

I didn't like how Doug left, but had he stayed I think he would have built a very solid program. Just think, he followed the absolute disaster of Robinson and inherited a national bottom-feeder. He didn't have the resources that Dino has either.

In 4 years, he had two 8-win seasons and two bowls, winning both.

For those who say SU can't win...Doug proved it was not true.

And who can blame him

I didn't like how Doug left, but had he stayed I think he would have built a very solid program. Just think, he followed the absolute disaster of Robinson and inherited a national bottom-feeder. He didn't have the resources that Dino has either.

In 4 years, he had two 8-win seasons and two bowls, winning both.

For those who say SU can't win...Doug proved it was not true.

If Dino gets eight this season is he breathing Doug Marrone's rare air?

OL is the always the key and is there a good teacher out there that can get the most out of 2 to 3 stars?

And did Schmidt leave because of the different philosophy or more cash?
Dunno why he left. I presume job security.

In 2021, running a bunch of his plays, we were #17 in the country in total rushing. #125 in the pass game. Its almost like we should have continued with some of those plays. The only reason they were run, was because of zero confidence in Gilbert. Anae, the following year, and it was back to Dino ball(much better called). Better record, but some effective plays were forgotten.

#74 rushing
#67 passing

If Dino gets eight this season is he breathing Doug Marrone's rare air?
One thing about the 2012 8 win season - all the losses were competitive.

We didn’t have any 40-7 losses where it was 27-0 at halftime. Embarrassing and a complete waste of time for anyone who watched or worse…went to the game.

As a fan you don’t feel like you wasted your time when you lose 42-29 or 35-24.

Dunno why he left. I presume job security.

In 2021, running a bunch of his plays, we were #17 in the country in total rushing. #125 in the pass game. Its almost like we should have continued with some of those plays. The only reason they were run, was because of zero confidence in Gilbert. Anae, the following year, and it was back to Dino ball(much better called). Better record, but some effective plays were forgotten.

#74 rushing
#67 passing

So basically, can you have 5 guys that are solid in both pass and run? Or at least work together synergy wise? It seems so much like rocket science at times and so frustrating.

Regarding the calls, even that guy that transferred to Vandy ran for 100 vs ND. Yeah, that would have been nice if X amount of those plays stayed with the program.

IMO, we got beat by a better team! Yes, the officials made a really bad call on giving the NC punter a first down and ACC refs suck!

In every game this year, in most games this season, we weren’t prepared to play the
the team we faced and played differently in the 2nd half. Not a good trend!

Our passing and run game offenses were ineffective vs UNC. How much is poor schemes and how much is player effort, I cannot judge.

Next week, we play an arguably tougher opponent, at their place.

Things must change, for the better!

So basically, can you have 5 guys that are solid in both pass and run? Or at least work together synergy wise? It seems so much like rocket science at times and so frustrating.

Regarding the calls, even that guy that transferred to Vandy ran for 100 vs ND. Yeah, that would have been nice if X amount of those plays stayed with the program.
I think so. For Oline, I believe it starts with the run. Coaching pays the most dividends, here. Hopefully, the pass follows.

In Dinos first 4 years, there was no focus on blitz pick up. Tempo would take care of it. Until it didn't, in 2019, and Devito was turned into a human punching bag. A magician like Dungey could cover it up, by doing whatever he wanted. I

Very frustrating when the staff wouldn't run the same play again(especially schmidts). I guess that's 3D chess. Reminds me of the Ward firing game, where Addazio ran the same play, 27 times in a row, and destroyed us. I'm sick of that. Stick with what works, until it doesn't.

IMO, we got beat by a better team! Yes, the officials made a really bad call on giving the NC punter a first down and ACC refs suck!

In every game this year, in most games this season, we weren’t prepared to play the
the team we faced and played differently in the 2nd half. Not a good trend!

Our passing and run game offenses were ineffective vs UNC. How much is poor schemes and how much is player effort, I cannot judge.

Next week, we play an arguably tougher opponent, at their place.

Things must change, for the better!
As others have said- it's not THAT we lost, it's HOW we lost.
UNC should not decimate our team before halftime. I remember when Mack Brown was hired, and the turnaround was almost immediate.
We keep waiting for things to turn and stay turned with Dino...and it just ain't happening. Ffs, there's really no excuses why a Wake Forest has had a better program and has stayed more competitive then us, within the same time span. And the most frustrating thing- he wins enough or gives enough false hope, to deter a serious effort to remove him.
Meanwhile we keep waiting and watching the same mistakes, same blowouts, same ineptitude, hoping but deep down KNOWING we can't compete against teams w/ half a pulse. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
What infuriates me is the complete no-show. Lose on the road to UNC? Understandable. But to get absolutely destroyed is an indictment of our coaching staff.

I want to take the long view and remind myself that 8-4 is still a very reasonable expectation, but this is a pretty bitter pill to swallow…
That is my take. I expected UNC to win a fairly close game that would not be decided until the 4th quarter. What Narduzzi has done at Pitt is mold a program that exhibits fight and usually looks tough in its losses, anything but overwhelmed. Babers wins some games, but there are far too many bad losses, both to teams Cuse could have beaten and losses that were just slaughters.

The question for every program always is: at what point do you get tired of that pattern?

The fact that Babers seemed resigned to his fate in that game says it all for me. He has to go. Not to mention their seeming inability to make in game decisions, have a disciplined team or accurately assess talent is a solid second reason.
He basically acts like it is impossible to win against these teams. That has to be hard for his players to hear basically saying they suck so bad they can’t beat teams like NC.

2019 was devastating to this program. I was at the Maryland game. That game changed the trajectory of the program. Dino was never able to get the best out of Devito. There was too much talent on that team for how bad they played. Lost momentum in recruiting with that garbage season.

Please don’t blame a season four years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom