Unexpected great football story... | Syracusefan.com

Unexpected great football story...

FAL

No comment.
I recently moved to PA after spending the last 32 years in CNY (and was indoctrinated into SU fandom). So anyway, I needed among other things, to find a new audiologist. I passed by one place several times a week and so decided to check them out. I liked what I saw and read on their website, so I called and made an appointment. First visit today, so of course I had to fill out the expected paperwork. As I turned away from the receptionist after handing her the clipboard, a gentleman standing in the hallway leading to the exam rooms said to me: “So Syracuse, huh? (I was wearing one of my favorite caps). Well, I gotta Syracuse story for you.” Turns out he played linebacker at West Virginia (he came from a family of great FB players from the area, including a brother who played 8 seasons in the NFL). Back to the story: “So when I was a sophomore, I made the travel team, even though I never expected to actually get to play in a game. We played Syracuse in their old stadium...you know, Archbold.” I nodded my understanding. “Anyway, I’m there standing on the sidelines when suddenly the coach yells out ‘Sieminski! Get in there!‘“. I was shocked, and as I trotted out on to the field, their quarterback looked at me and laughed laughed and said...he actually said...’32 Ice’”. I must have looked at him strangely because he then said “‘32 Ice...he was telling me what play he was going to call! I knew what 32 Ice was: the guard and tackle in front of me would cross-block and the halfback would be following the lead blocker, the fullback.‘” I wasn’t sure how this story was going to end, but he he didn’t leave me hanging: “After they ran the play, I needed 11 stitches in my forehead. Larry Csonka blocking, Floyd Little carrying the ball. My introduction to Syracuse.”

I got called back before I could hear more. Maybe next time...

Well he was in to visit the audiologist so the guy could have very well said 39 ;)

Whaddid you say? Speak up, sonny!:rolleyes:

No, I heard 32 because I asked him to repeat the name of the play. But then again he got rolled by Csonka and Little, So you would have to give him the benefit of the doubt if his memory wasn’t as clear as it one would hope.

Whaddid you say? Speak up, sonny!:rolleyes:

No, I heard 32 because I asked him to repeat the name of the play. But then again he got rolled by Csonka and Little, So you would have to give him the benefit of the doubt if his memory wasn’t as clear as it one would hope.

Lol, I kid. I'm actually an audiologist. I've heard all the jokes. I'd put more stock into Csonka "rearranging" a few memories.

Where in PA did you move?

Hopefully you can still make a few games

Wilkes-Barre area...only a 2 1/2 hour drive to the Dome. Still have my season tics but using them this year: ????:(
Dallas.

Who knew there was a Dallas PA?

Reactions: FAL
Wilkes-Barre area...only a 2 1/2 hour drive to the Dome. Still have my season tics but using them this year: ????:(
My wife's family is from Nanticoke...the town was about 95% Eastern European. I think it is changing a bit now. Her Uncle was the best sausage maker in the area...still haven't found a smoked sausage as good as what he made.

So, is the Route 81 fifty year roadwork project around Wilkes-Barre - Scranton still ongoing?

My wife's family is from Nanticoke...the town was about 95% Eastern European. I think it is changing a bit now. Her Uncle was the best sausage maker in the area...still haven't found a smoked sausage as good as what he made.

‘There is supposedly at least 2 good places to buy some still in existence in the ‘coke...haven’t yet sought them out. Many similar places in surrounding towns, though. Best one we’ve found so far is a place
right off of exit 165 of I-81 in Wilkes-Barre for you north-south travelers.

‘There is supposedly at least 2 good places to buy some still in existence in the ‘coke...haven’t yet sought them out. Many similar places in surrounding towns, though. Best one we’ve found so far is a place
right off of exit 165 of I-81 in Wilkes-Barre for you north-south travelers.
Send me the name via PM thanks

So, is the Route 81 fifty year roadwork project around Wilkes-Barre - Scranton still ongoing?

Surprisingly, except for a small stretch south of W-B, things seem surprisingly clear. I still can’t get over the volume of traffic between W-B and Scranton, though.

The orthodontist that my kids go to in Greensburg, PA is Phil Dahar... he was a defensive lineman and captain of the Pittsburgh Panthers football team in 1965. I've never asked him any Syracuse stories though... :)

I read a story on Pitt / Syracuse game from 1965 and it stated the following "A trip to Archbold Stadium turned into a nightmare. Floyd Little ran for four TD's, including a 95-yard scamper as the Orangemen coasted to a 51-13 victory. Larry Csonka and a guy named Tom Coughlin were also stalwarts in the Orangemen's backfield."

Sounds like your story is from this same time period!

Reactions: FAL
Who knew that the state of Wyoming was named after Wyoming Valley, where Wilkes-Barre is located?
The Iroquois and Connecticut were involved in this area in the early days.

Sounds like the Iroquois sold the land the Connecticut settlers even though they did not live there and were not the rightful owners. Eventually it was determined the land belonged to Pennsylvania.
The Connecticut settlers were sent back to where they came from.

It would not be the last time this happened.

The Iroquois and Connecticut were involved in this area in the early days.

Sounds like the Iroquois sold the land the Connecticut settlers even though they did not live there and were not the rightful owners. Eventually it was determined the land belonged to Pennsylvania.
The Connecticut settlers were sent back to where they came from.

It would not be the last time this happened.

Ah, yes...the infamous Pennamite-Yankee Wars...

Over the years my family and I made frequent trips up I-81 to visit my family outside Rochester, and would often be headed back south mid-day on Sunday. Much to my wife's dismay, I would tune-in the polka show on a Scranton radio station ("Polka-motion"?). My young daugher thought it was a blast, but my wife and son would suffer silently until we drove out of radio range.

Over the years my family and I made frequent trips up I-81 to visit my family outside Rochester, and would often be headed back south mid-day on Sunday. Much to my wife's dismay, I would tune-in the polka show on a Scranton radio station ("Polka-motion"?). My young daugher thought it was a blast, but my wife and son would suffer silently until we drove out of radio range.

Here ya go...more ammunition to drive your family nuts with: