USC Names Ed Orgeron Interim HC | Syracusefan.com

USC Names Ed Orgeron Interim HC

Best way to keep recruiting from totally falling apart with the the big wait until a new HC

Prediction - Herman Edwards or former Jags HC Jack Del Rio.

Could see Del Rio or Jeff Fischer as long shot.
Good call. I forgot he is a USC alum. Question is, has he ever coached in college? I don't think so. Is he up for the whole recruiting grind?

As an alum I would love to see Del Rio or Fisher. Need some fire on the sidelines. Kiffin has no pulse.

JDR and Fisher seem the safe choices, but this is a post-Hackett USC. I still think that they will be going Hollywood. Huge name and national media exposure with a "young" persona is where I think they go. This season seems to be a sunk cost. After it you gotta go big-time if you want to compete for a chip in the PAC-12. Strong, Fitzgerald, Peterson, etc have to be your top choices. In my opinion, you aren't challenging a juggernaut like Oregon in recruiting by bringing in a Del Rio or Fisher.

JDR and Fisher seem the safe choices, but this is a post-Hackett USC. I still think that they will be going Hollywood. Huge name and national media exposure with a "young" persona is where I think they go. This season seems to be a sunk cost. After it you gotta go big-time if you want to compete for a chip in the PAC-12. Strong, Fitzgerald, Peterson, etc have to be your top choices. In my opinion, you aren't challenging a juggernaut like Oregon in recruiting by bringing in a Del Rio or Fisher.

They always get better recruits than Oregon. Oregon brings in a couple of blue-chippers and others who fit that system well. Often undersized cats who can fly.

It became a real country club and lax vibe there with Kiffin. Those coaches you mention are all good choices. No doubt. I don't see why anybody wouldn't want to play for Del Rio or Fisher, however. Unless they are afraid of discipline. Those two are proven NFL winners and good talent evaluators. IMO, a fiery/enthusiastic presence is needed and not necessarily a marquee name. Again, I take this a bit more personally than most being an alum.

I wish there was some way to squeeze Eddie O back on this staff... Guy can flat out recruit.

They always get better recruits than Oregon. Oregon brings in a couple of blue-chippers and others who fit that system well. Often undersized cats who can fly.

It became a real country club and lax vibe there with Kiffin. Those coaches you mention are all good choices. No doubt. I don't see why anybody wouldn't want to play for Del Rio or Fisher, however. Unless they are afraid of discipline. Those two are proven NFL winners and good talent evaluators. IMO, a fiery/enthusiastic presence is needed and not necessarily a marquee name. Again, I take this a bit more personally than most being an alum.
Good NFL coaches are not necessarily good college coaches. Especially if they have been away from the college game for ~20 years.

Good NFL coaches are not necessarily good college coaches. Especially if they have been away from the college game for ~20 years.

Of course it's a gamble. Like any new coach hire.

Of course it's a gamble. Like any new coach hire.
Just saying that, to me, a proven college winner is preferable to a coach with only NFL pedigree.

I know--look at Pete Carroll.

And then, look at the mess he left behind.

Just saying that, to me, a proven college winner is preferable to a coach with only NFL pedigree.

I know--look at Pete Carroll.

And then, look at the mess he left behind.

That 'mess' was because of one player. One player. Wouldn't have been a big deal in the SEC or at Ohio State. I thought it was too severe a punishment, anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom