USF thoughts | Syracusefan.com

USF thoughts

Fjoinkay

Starter
Last season SU played U of South Florida in SF. USF led at the half either 7-3 or 10-3. Late in the 3rd quarter or perhaps even early in the 4th the score was still close, 31-24 USF, but then USF scored two TDs later in the 4th to win 45-24. SU lost the turnover battle, SU with 3 to USF's 1. The SF air was hot and thick with humidity even though it was the second week of October, and I think it caught up with SU in the second half- lots of cramping etc. More importantly, this was Dungey's first game back after suffering the concussion against Central Michigan (btw today CMU beat Ok St, although it was a controversial W- more CMU controversy). In his return Dungey had 2 TOs against SFU- a lost fumble and one pick. Of course, he was a true freshman who had been on campus for about 10 weeks total, and during fall camp he was the #2 behind T-Hunt, and he was returning to the field after suffering a ridiculously violent shot to the head/concussion against CMU.

So, even though I think USF is a better team this season than they were last season, with SU's new offense, and with Dungey having more experience under his belt, and being in the Dome, I see SU putting up a few more points than 24 for sure. It should be a fun one. Go Cuse!!

Last edited:
Really worried and I'm the most irrationally optimistic person on this board.

Would be a huge win and turn some heads seeing as our defense clearly struggles against dynamic/mobile, talented QB's.

Really need this to feel good heading into ND/Tech/FSU/Clemson/NC St/Pitt etc.

I personally think this is the biggest game of the season.

Would be a huge win and turn some heads seeing as our defense clearly struggles against dynamic/mobile, talented QB's.

I'm excited for this game. USF is a great matchup for the Cuse, and regardless of the outcome this game is a great litmus test at this point of the new era- much moreso than the Louisville matchup.

I'm excited for this game. USF is a great matchup for the Cuse, and regardless of the outcome this game is a great litmus test at this point of the new era- much moreso than the Louisville matchup.
Agree

Totally agree, huge game

The stat I saw that makes me concerned is going back to last year they have scored 40+ points in 6 consecutive games

44 vs Temple
65 vs Cincy
44 vs UCF
45 vs West Kentucky (Bowl Game)
56 vs Townson
48 vs Eastern Illinois

The stat I saw that makes me concerned is going back to last year they have scored 40+ points in 6 consecutive games

44 vs Temple
65 vs Cincy
44 vs UCF
45 vs West Kentucky (Bowl Game)
56 vs Townson
48 vs Eastern Illinois
Yeah, 11 punts and 2 turnovers will not be good enough again this week.

Lots of speed on this USF team, can not let them split the seams for passes or let them get behind the SU DB's...obvious I know but the play action is going to be quite the challenge because they have a top notch running game and mobile qb in Flowers. Flowers doesn't have Jacksons arm so that helps and maybe SU can mix up some packages and keep him confused. Not having Cordy is going to sting but let's hope somebody steps up and makes some plays. I believe that the Louisville game will help the SU D get ready for their O since the Cards may have one of the best O's in the country and the two offenses are somewhat similar.

I think the big thing missing from your game highlights is that USF looked bigger and much much faster than us on both sides of the ball. I remember during and after that game, there was a lot of shock on the board. It was so noticeable the athletic disparity despite the score, I think it was a pretty good sign our recruiting was nowhere near where we believed it to be.

I'm scared for this game. I think we can score points but after all the 3 and outs Friday, granted UL has a fantastic D, we aren't just going to outscore USF easily. IMO. This game could go any number of ways.

I think this is going to be the most telling game of the season potentially. USF is more like UL than they are like Ucon's but it's still a team we should be able to beat most of the time in the future. The better coaching job will win this game IMO.

Would help if we can run better than we did against Colgate or UL. This game is far from a gimme.

I am afraid our defense is going to be really embarrassed again. No Cordy is only going to make things worse.

I see a shootout where we give up less than we did and score more than we did vs Louisville. Think 45-44.

I think every week will be unpredictable. The team will probably have really good and really awful games as everybody learns the new systems and our underclassmen get experience. If our offense shows up and it is a shootout with USF, I think the game is a toss-up. If not, we might lose by 3 touchdowns. Just the way it is going to be for awhile. We are probably going to need 35+ ppg with our D - which, BTW is doable.

Louisville played with one eye on FSU , hence the drops . USF is coming with an ax to grind as to why they aren't in a P5 conference and teams like Syracuse are . They will also have AAC refs .

Louisville played with one eye on FSU , hence the drops . USF is coming with an ax to grind as to why they aren't in a P5 conference and teams like Syracuse are . They will also have AAC refs .

Think the drops were more a function of Jackson not throwing a particularly catchable ball. No touch on short or intermediate throws, nose down. Very Vick-like in that regard.

Think the drops were more a function of Jackson not throwing a particularly catchable ball. No touch on short or intermediate throws, nose down. Very Vick-like in that regard.
That too . I think their staff said let's get on them fast and that kind of reasoning because that would be a real look ahead game . That ball Radcliffe dropped seemed like lack of focus .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom