Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion

Every time I see new stats from the game it gets even worse. I didn’t see this one before.

First game I’ve turned off at halftime and never even checked back on the game. Never done that in my life. One time at band camp at a Shafer game in the dome I wanted to leave around the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th. My wife wouldn’t let me, made me stay and be a baby.

I’m at an all time low with SU FB right now. And it’s sad as hell. No idea what the future holds. Not sure if it’s worth wasting the time and energy to watch. Don’t know if we can ever make Saturdays at least enjoyable again, more often than not.
I watched three plays. Bills the TV, planned on Syracuse on the laptop. Bills game was annoying enough.

When everyone here is on the same page, it must've been bad

He’s the opposite of JB and everyone complained when JB three players under the bus.
JB's behavior is why I think all the "Dino's a great representative of the university" stuff is hogwash.

No one cared that Boeheim was a surly bully while he was constantly ranked in the top 25 and going to Final 4s. In fact people defended it and said he was funny.

Winning represents the university best. Do that and people will twist themselves into knots to rationalize whatever your behavior is.

The thing that gets me is that I was really impressed with the additions this off season and also the coaching hires. Yet again, he seriously miss calculated the talent at o line. I don’t understand how we did not raid the portal for more guys on the front.

Well, let's be fair about "misjudging" the offensive line talent. We had a bunch of guys coming into the season with previous starts in Division 1 programs, something like nine of them. We had two quality JUCOs and 2 transfers, one who is gone for the season. Yes, players get dinged up. That's football. But when you have a group of linemen where NINE of them have starting experience, you simply cannot be this bad. That's on the coaching, not a supposed lack of talent.

He’s a lousy coach and he’s always been a lousy coach.

He came in with a gimmick O that didn’t really work — didn’t improve recruiting, didn’t win games.

He caught lightning in a bottle Dungey’s senior year and rode it to a big payday. I hope he sends Eric a nice fruit basket every Christmas.

Program has largely stunk ever since.

Just end it. There’s absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Try again. What’s the harm? Oh no, maybe we suck like we have for the past 20 years? Oh no, not that.

Has anyone enjoyed the last 5 years of SU football? I sure as hell haven’t. Move on, try again.

Well, that 2 month stretch at the beginning of last year was pretty sweet. The Dome hasn't felt like that in ages.

Probably you now too

Oh, yeah, I had rotator cuff problems. I can't even bowl anymore.

But when I was a player back in HS, I was a Doug Womack kind of QB who ran the option really well, was good with the ball fakes and trickery, but I couldn't throw the ball more than 20 yards downfield. That's what makes you the backup.

That's when I switched to cross country.

Syracuse will never be the first choice for players in the portal. We didn’t get a single impact player from the portal last year. If people think the portal is going to be our savior, they’re mistaken.
I respectfully disagree on this - with the right coach selling a successful program in the right way, the portal can be a great tool.

School saw a 10 win season with a newish coach and a highly regarded QB as the heir apparent and figured bowl seasons were a lock moving forward

Funny how things can turn.

Finally forced myself to watch the presser, while making sure to stay away from sharp objects.

Basic translation: "I have no idea why blah blah blah. We had opportunities for blah blah blah. They have a very good blah blah blah. We need to start blah blah blah. We were caught off blah blah blah." Etc etc.

Obviously, it wouldn't have made a difference, but there were multiple times in the first half last night when we were on offense and the play clock was running, but there was still music blaring. It was absolute BS.

Obviously, it wouldn't have made a difference, but there were multiple times in the first half last night when we were on offense and the play clock was running, but there was still music blaring. It was absolute BS.
Blatant holding on some early Tech runs, refs weren’t going to throw a flag. Doesn’t matter ,wouldn’t have changed squat.

Even last year against Clemsons NFL d-line, Garrett was slippery and elusive and could take off for first downs even with bad protection. I felt like I was watching Andrew Robinson play QB last night.

Yeah, but after that Clemson game last year it all went downhill (actually started in the 2nd half I think). They were headhunting him last year. Payback for knocking out their QBs the past few years I guess. That, or knowing his health is our only weapon.

Just a non-Babers comment for a second, but it is sad to see Shrader look so tentative and unsure, I mean right from the get go. Not sure what he's seeing downfield or in front of him, but so many times he took a couple steps back, then got these big eyes, and rushed to nowhere before getting sacked.

Seems like previous iterations of Shrader would sorta fake someone out, juke, and start running with purpose.

Maybe the lanes are all gone and all teams have adjusted to him, but there is a stark difference in his posture after a basic 3 - 5 step drop now as opposed to what it was against Purdue, etc.

On every play it seems all options are closed.

Just a non-Babers comment for a second, but it is sad to see Shrader look so tentative and unsure, I mean right from the get go. Not sure what he's seeing downfield or in front of him, but so many times he took a couple steps back, then got these big eyes, and rushed to nowhere before getting sacked.

Seems like previous iterations of Shrader would sorta fake someone out, juke, and start running with purpose.

Maybe the lanes are all gone and all teams have adjusted to him, but there is a stark difference in his posture after a basic 3 - 5 step drop now as opposed to what it was against Purdue, etc.

He just isn’t running like he did. One run early looked like the old Shrader would have went for 10-15 he got 5. No speed and no elusiveness.

He just isn’t running like he did. One run early looked like the old Shrader would have went for 10-15 he got 5. No speed and no elusiveness.
I mean they had a spy on him who didn't have to do much at all last night

i think he's playing hurt. it's illogical otherwise

What’s the Mullen love about? I see it a lot. Someone needs to educate me why he’s the answer.
Ive posted this before and It's been discussed quite a bit here. He's a Northeast guy who, at the very least, had a cup of coffee at Cuse. He's familiar with the program's history, particularly in the 90s, as he was referencing them on the broadcast last night. That's not really important, but at least he knows what Cuse can possibly be and he doesn't think it's a complete dumpster fire.

What's most important, in my opinion, is that he's a strong recruiter and an even better head coach and offensive mind. A lot of people like to reference Florida, I would rather look at how he did at Mississippi St., which is a more comparable program than Florida at least. MSU was considered one of those most difficult places to have success in the SEC and he killed it there. He had 1 losing season in 9 years and that was his first season. Took them to 8 straight bowls. MSU was dog poo for like 50 years with a couple nice seasons and he turned them into a perennial bowl team.

I don’t look at him as a golden god haha, I just think he would fit perfectly and he is still young. I don’t want some up and coming MAC or FCS coach.

That is insane that after 2018 we gave him 6 years under contract.
I think the original deal was 4 or 5 years, 2016-2019 or 2020, and they gave him an extension to 2024. Everybody on this board was demanding and clamoring for it, there were rumors USC was courting him. It was a good move at the time. But unless he pulls a miracle and can get to 7-8 regular season wins, his time here is over. I feel we don’t win another game this season. The program has completely cratered.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom