Very glad to see Mike G break out | Syracusefan.com

Very glad to see Mike G break out

Concur - G getting his shooting touch back would be huge for this team. He and Richardson were both hitting contested ones too in tough situations - now if we could just get Lydon to start playing with some attitude.

Concur - G getting his shooting touch back would be huge for this team. He and Richardson were both hitting contested ones too in tough situations - now if we could just get Lydon to start playing with some attitude.

Lydon passed on a couple open looks again tonight. He has to step it up for sure.

Lydon passed on a couple open looks again tonight. He has to step it up for sure.
Remember the one and done talk after Atlantis, as the small sample brigade debated NBA comps? 'Twas in another lifetime.

Sure his shooting is back up to speed, but im liking his aggressive drives the past couple games.

Nice to see him make outside shots with confidence, great to see him hit free throws in pressure and non-pressure situations, but I don't think the box score tells it all in this situation. Among other things, we needed a point guard last night. Virginia's worlds better defensively than Duke and Gbinije struggled to get his teammates involved. (Woeful finishing around the rim by our bigs certainly didn't help his cause.)

That said, we'd have gotten thrashed without his 24 points.

Nice to see him make outside shots with confidence, great to see him hit free throws in pressure and non-pressure situations, but I don't think the box score tells it all in this situation. Among other things, we needed a point guard last night. Virginia's worlds better defensively than Duke and Gbinije struggled to get his teammates involved. (Woeful finishing around the rim by our bigs certainly didn't help his cause.)

That said, we'd have gotten thrashed without his 24 points.

I thought Frank helped again last night when he was out there. Tough to figure out a way to leave Frank out there though in the second half. The obvious choice is to pull Cooney on a night when he's off, but he always has the potential to hit the next big one.

I thought Frank helped again last night when he was out there. Tough to figure out a way to leave Frank out there though in the second half. The obvious choice is to pull Cooney on a night when he's off, but he always has the potential to hit the next big one.
I would love to know our +/- when FH was out there. Seemed like we had regained some momentum defensively when he was out there on top. And here's the thing, Cooney was really struggling for much of the game. The substitution pattern has become a bit of a joke. Frank comes in just before the 12:00 timeout and then gets pulled around the 8:00 mark. So barring him playing like an all-american, he knows he's getting 4 minutes. What is the point of this? If you're trying to find some help from the bench, you can't just blindly go with a scripted cameo.

Last edited:
I would love to know our +/- when FH was out there. Seemed like we had regained some momentum defensively when he was out there on top. And here's the thing, Cooney was really struggling for much of the game. The substitution pattern has become a bit of a joke. Frank comes in just before the 12:00 timeout and then gets pulled around the 8:00 mark. So barring him playing like an all-american, he knows he's getting 4 minutes. What is the point of this? If you're trying to find some help from the bench, you can't just blindly go with a scripted cameo.

Go back and watch the Duke tape Monday when Howard was in. You'll get your answer why he doesn't play.

Go back and watch the Duke tape Monday when Howard was in. You'll get your answer why he doesn't play.
Believe me I was disappointed in how he responded... he was definitely overwhelmed by Duke's pressure, so I can see a rationale for that one game. But how does that excuse all the other appearances where he has more than held his own, which have often coincided with Cooney being rendered ineffective? Deep in the recesses of my brain I wonder if JB is purposely suppressing Frank's minutes to make it easier to hand over the PG reins to Battle next year. He doesn't want a PG controversy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom