Ville/UVA | Syracusefan.com

Ville/UVA

Chicago44s

2nd String
Just turned on the game. UVA up 22 and Ville only has 21 points with 11:00 mins left in the game.

Just said in another thread, that is a winnable game for us.

At Louisville, putting on a clinic. They are so disciplined and well-coached. Virginia doesn't shoot themselves in the foot. So fundamentally sound.

Pitino looks a little odd in that white suit.

At Louisville, putting on a clinic. They are so disciplined and well-coached. Virginia doesn't shoot themselves in the foot. So fundamentally sound.
When I expressed ( perhaps too enthusiastic) admiration for Bennett last weekend, I was labeled a trolling Va. fan . But I really believe that guy is the best coach in the best league in the country. If he had SU's talent, and they bought into his system, he would win a natty.

And for good reason. You cannot be serious. A natty? Lol
Meaning I think Orange has more talent than Va., way more athleticism. Roberson would kill it in their system, he's like Akil Mitchell and he's only a soph. They don't have a guy like Mali Rich. The one thing they have that we don't is a quarterback like Parrantes

Meaning I think Orange has more talent than Va., way more athleticism. Roberson would kill it in their system, he's like Akil Mitchell and he's only a soph. They don't have a guy like Mali Rich. The one thing they have that we don't is a quarterback like Parrantes

Huh? Brogdon and Gill would start for us easily, as would Perrantes. He's a good coach but they have talent.

Tom Crean is undoubtedly impressed by UVa's post-season success.

Also, I think that I've seen 2-3 random Akil Mitchell references on the board in the past week. Strange...

huh?

And for good reason. You cannot be serious. A natty? Lol

natural-light-fatty-natty-bottle.png

When I expressed ( perhaps too enthusiastic) admiration for Bennett last weekend, I was labeled a trolling Va. fan . But I really believe that guy is the best coach in the best league in the country. If he had SU's talent, and they bought into his system, he would win a natty.
as another virginia fan posing to be a Syracuse fan I concur.
If Syracuse had Christmas returning this year I think they would have a shot at making the tournament as well we just seem to be lacking talent :p.

Virginia's wide success is from getting alot out of their younger players, and having good flow at all positions in recent years. All of that is just a lucky roll of the dice, especially when it happens multiple seasons. Its fun well it last to the nba starts farming you more closely.

We get success from guys returning for a extra year once in awhile like the MCW's, Dion's, Richardson's, and Grant's. Similar to how Dunn returned to Providence this year, and Valentine to MSU or Anderson to VA last year.

Last edited:

Woah. Do not under rate the importance of a pg.

Good to see you've toned down your enthusiasm for him.

Huh? Brogdon and Gill would start for us easily, as would Perrantes. He's a good coach but they have talent.

Exactly. This is the best 4-year run UVA has had since the Ralph Sampson era...and it's because of the core talent that they have had. But as it starts graduating out, can Bennett keep enough coming in? Does he jump somewhere else? It's still the core guys from the last three years doing all the work. We'll see.

Lville is very overrated, outside of beating Pitt, who have they beaten?
That Pitt game was just ugly basketball too. Ville just doesn't look as talented as they have been the past few years. Hard to imagine where they'd be without Damion Lee

Interesting thread. Two years ago, posters on this board said the UVa would not recover from the loss of Joe Harris (and, to a lesser extent, Akil Mitchell). Last year a number of posters here said that Virginia could not sustain its success without Justin Anderson (and, to a lesser extent, Darion Atkins). I realize that these weren't universal sentiments among Syracuse fans, but their proponents seemed quite vocal about the matter. For those not paying attention, you might notice that Virginia has eleven eligible scholarship players this year and that Bennett routinely plays ten of them, although not the same ten every game. He is developing players. Also, while UVa has its best recruiting class in a long while enrolling this summer, I suspect that none of them will start next fall. I expect that next year's juniors (two true, three redshirts), along with London Perrantes, to provide the core of the team. Are any of them as good as Brogdon or Gill? Individually, I doubt it. On the other hand, I imagine that collectively they will be fine, especially if they remain on the same developmental curve they've demonstrated to this point in their careers. And there are some intriguing unknowns about the current roster. Jack Salt, a RS frosh has been starting, but rarely playing beyond the first media time-out. While he might not be ready yet, IMO he is as good as Akil Mitchell at the same point in his career. I believe the minutes Salt plays now will pay dividends later. Probably not next year, but eventually. The interesting questions for next year revolve around which of the frosh will pick up Bennett's defense (because they won't see the floor until they do), and how quickly will Austin Nichols integrate himself with the returnees.

Right now, I have no idea how well next year's edition of the 'Hoos will perform, but I am reasonably optimistic. I also find it interesting that posters here are moderating their expectations, however so slight those changes might be. Two years ago, several suggested that UVa would return to the lower echelon of the league. Last year, it was predicted that Virginia would merely be 'middle of the pack' mediocre. Now, it seems, those same are saying that UVa will not be as good, and that Bennett has been 'lucky'. If Virginia remains a contender in the conference race next year, I am not sure that 'lucky' would be the appropriate adjective. Lastly, Bennett is now being criticized here, only by some, because he has yet to take a team to the Final Four. I think it worth mentioning that Boeheim did not take a Syracuse team to the Final Four, as a head coach, until his eleventh season, if I am not mistaken, and that he took over an exceedingly healthy Orange program from Danforth. Bennett had to rebuild a seriously broken UVa program, practically from the ground up. That he took a Washington State team to a Sweet 16 is almost as noteworthy as a Final Four appearance according to many pundits. Regardless, I don't believe comparisons between Boeheim and Bennett are appropriate just yet. I believe they can wait for several years.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Two years ago, posters on this board said the UVa would not recover from the loss of Joe Harris (and, to a lesser extent, Akil Mitchell). Last year a number of posters here said that Virginia could not sustain its success without Justin Anderson (and, to a lesser extent, Darion Atkins). I realize that these weren't universal sentiments among Syracuse fans, but their proponents seemed quite vocal about the matter. For those not paying attention, you might notice that Virginia has eleven eligible scholarship players this year and that Bennett routinely plays ten of them, although not the same ten every game. He is developing players. Also, while UVa has its best recruiting class in a long while enrolling this summer, I suspect that none of them will start next fall. I expect that next year's juniors (two true, three redshirts), along with London Perrantes, to provide the core of the team. Are any of them as good as Brogdon or Gill? Individually, I doubt it. On the other hand, I imagine that collectively they will be fine, especially if they remain on the same developmental curve they've demonstrated to this point in their careers. And there are some intriguing unknowns about the current roster. Jack Salt, a RS frosh has been starting, but rarely playing beyond the first media time-out. While he might not be ready yet, IMO he is as good as Akil Mitchell at the same point in his career. I believe the minutes Salt plays now will pay dividends later. Probably not next year, but eventually. The interesting questions for next year revolve around which of the frosh will pick up Bennett's defense (because they won't see the floor until they do), and how quickly will Austin Nichols integrate himself with the returnees.

Right now, I have no idea how well next year's edition of the 'Hoos will perform, but I am reasonably optimistic. I also find it interesting that posters here are moderating their expectations, however so slight those changes might be. Two years ago, several suggested that UVa would return to the lower echelon of the league. Last year, it was predicted that Virginia would merely be 'middle of the pack' mediocre. Now, it seems, those same are saying that UVa will not be as good, and that Bennett has been 'lucky'. If Virginia remains a contender in the conference race next year, I am not sure that 'lucky' would be the appropriate adjective. Lastly, Bennett is now being criticized here, only by some, because he has yet to take a team to the Final Four. I think it worth mentioning that Boeheim did not take a Syracuse team to the Final Four, as a head coach, until his eleventh season, if I am not mistaken, and that he took over an exceedingly healthy Orange program from Danforth. Bennett had to rebuild a seriously broken UVa program, practically from the ground up. That he took a Washington State team to a Sweet 16 is almost as noteworthy as a Final Four appearance according to many pundits. Regardless, I don't believe comparisons between Boeheim and Bennett are appropriate just yet. I believe they can wait for several years.
Thank you for your continued interest in Syracuse basketball.

The part about buying into the system (including making free throws) is a question mark.
I don't know about winning a title with SU's talent...but Virginia is THE most fundamentally sound team in the country.
That's because of Bennett is a fruit of his dad's coaching tree.
You can beat Virginia...but they're not going to beat themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom