Virginia game thread | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia game thread

Great for Cooney. Even when his shots are not calling, he does not give up on the rest of his game. I wish we had more final fours, though.

Very cool for Cooney, after having no success around the basket for the whole conference season, he managed to hit a ton of driving shots this weekend. We couldn't have been in position to win without his lay-ups keeping us in shouting distance tonight. Very quietly, another nice game for him.

Very cool for Cooney, after having no success around the basket for the whole conference season, he managed to hit a ton of driving shots this weekend. We couldn't have been in position to win without his lay-ups keeping us in shouting distance tonight. Very quietly, another nice game for him.
Hat tip, you said it better than I did. Cooney is a leader and you showed why.

And HEART is why I love this kid. He's taken a lot of heat this season for being streaky. And I can certainly understand the frustration -- especially for fans judging him by only one metric (number of made 3's). Meanwhile, Trevor has worked his ass off. Tonight, Virginia wasn't going to let him or G see the rim from deep ... they're a super talented defensive team and Bennett kept bodies on TC/G 24/7. So what did TC do about it? Did he sulk? Did he hang out on the perimeter for an "open look"? (lol). Nope ... that sucker ran 25 miles to get open and drove the lane repeatedly. Finally, he started getting the ball up high on the glass and it started to drop for him -- a timely reward for a monster effort. It didn't hurt that Malachai took the game over for 5 minutes and got us back in it.

A couple other observations. 1) We were dominated on the glass the 1st half with 80% of the Virginia team hanging back for rebounds. This fit UVA's plodding, half-court style. They wanted to slow the game down and negate our athleticism. Once JB put the press in, suddenly we were doing what we do best (run) and the half-court game was a distant memory. We were the aggressors, either scoring or getting to the line. 2) Down the stretch (like the Gonzaga game), Tyler Lydon's contribution was invaluable. The kid is so long ... he just finds a way to affect the outcome of the game, securing key rebounds, blocking shots and providing complimentary scoring. G was not himself tonight ... but he did enough. Glad to see this "UNDERRATED" team standing on a ladder with scissors.

Last edited:
Bennett is unbelievably classy. He quotes the bible .. talks about the pain tonight the joy tomorrow. Why can't this guy run for office!?
Because he is honest - that doesn't set well in DC or with the radicals on either side - But you knew that already --

Last edited:
Man, I'm so friggin happy for the team and staff.

Happy for DC, that his hard work and perseverance paid off.

Happy for Kaleb, for being a good teammate and not pouting.

Happy for the seniors, for obvious reasons.

What a great day for SU.

LGO!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom