Virginia had 2 Goals off of Terrible Calls | Syracusefan.com

Virginia had 2 Goals off of Terrible Calls

DoctahLexus

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Just watched the replay in full and the referee beef is justified. Not necessarily their overall performance, but two devastating choices. Two clearly terrible calls by the referees led to two Cavalier goals on the following possessions when they should not have had the ball. Both calls were so bad that the announcers were calling them out. You hate to see it in a one goal game.

The first was after a won faceoff by Virginia in the 1st quarter. Their long pole picked up the ball and pushed the tempo looking for a fast break. Dearth made an amazing play by landing a diving check from behind and the ball flies out of bounds behind the goal. Our ball right? The officials based on absolutely nothing rule that he was shooting the ball. But on the replay he was about 20 yards out and clearly in a passing motion to a guy on his left as Dearth checked him. One ref stops the play to discuss it with the other and I thought we were in the clear. Then after some discussion they STILL give Virginia the ball. It was disgusting! Based on both common sense (who in the history of the game has shot from 20 yards out on the run when it's not at the buzzer?) and actually just watching the play and the trajectory of the ball and his wind up and everything the refs are supposed to see. On the next possession Aitken scored.

The next one was even more devastating because the terrible call likely led directly to a goal. It was in the fourth quarter and Virginia was already a man up. Bomberry was guarding a smaller attack and as the guy pivots around GLE bomberry gives him a light push in the back. The refs hold onto their flags *UNTIL* the guy takes 2 or 3 steps and does a completely illegal crease dive with Bomberry now nowhere near him. He is going directly towards the goal mouth since he is starting from GLE and goes strait across. The only reason he didn't take out Porters knees is because he didn't jump far enough. That clearly illegal dive is ignored while Bomberry's unbelievably late flag on a light push stays in the books. Virginia, now 2 men up, scores easily from a wide open outside shot.

I thought a lot of our many penalties were justified, and I thought we made some bad decisions down the stretch which I won't get into now, I even thought a couple calls went our way, but those calls were objectively terrible and cost us 2 goals in a one goal game.

I could cite several others. Refs were terrible and this crease dive is bs.

Here is question since Im not sure. Was call on Varello's OT fogo win correct? I may be wrong but thought he popped out ball within rules.

Just watched the replay in full and the referee beef is justified. Not necessarily their overall performance, but two devastating choices. Two clearly terrible calls by the referees led to two Cavalier goals on the following possessions when they should not have had the ball. Both calls were so bad that the announcers were calling them out. You hate to see it in a one goal game.

The first was after a won faceoff by Virginia in the 1st quarter. Their long pole picked up the ball and pushed the tempo looking for a fast break. Dearth made an amazing play by landing a diving check from behind and the ball flies out of bounds behind the goal. Our ball right? The officials based on absolutely nothing rule that he was shooting the ball. But on the replay he was about 20 yards out and clearly in a passing motion to a guy on his left as Dearth checked him. One ref stops the play to discuss it with the other and I thought we were in the clear. Then after some discussion they STILL give Virginia the ball. It was disgusting! Based on both common sense (who in the history of the game has shot from 20 yards out on the run when it's not at the buzzer?) and actually just watching the play and the trajectory of the ball and his wind up and everything the refs are supposed to see. On the next possession Aitken scored.

The next one was even more devastating because the terrible call likely led directly to a goal. It was in the fourth quarter and Virginia was already a man up. Bomberry was guarding a smaller attack and as the guy pivots around GLE bomberry gives him a light push in the back. The refs hold onto their flags *UNTIL* the guy takes 2 or 3 steps and does a completely illegal crease dive with Bomberry now nowhere near him. He is going directly towards the goal mouth since he is starting from GLE and goes strait across. The only reason he didn't take out Porters knees is because he didn't jump far enough. That clearly illegal dive is ignored while Bomberry's unbelievably late flag on a light push stays in the books. Virginia, now 2 men up, scores easily from a wide open outside shot.

I thought a lot of our many penalties were justified, and I thought we made some bad decisions down the stretch which I won't get into now, I even thought a couple calls went our way, but those calls were objectively terrible and cost us 2 goals in a one goal game.

Did you get a good look at the goal UVA had where the annoucers were questioning if it had fully crossed the goaline? The one reply seemed to show it might not have but if was tough to see and they never showed it again.

I could cite several others. Refs were terrible and this crease dive is bs.

Here is question since Im not sure. Was call on Varello's OT fogo win correct? I may be wrong but thought he popped out ball within rules.

That was another one yeah. At least with that one the refs had an argument. You certainly aren't allowed to get it stuck in your stick but I thought he maybe shook it out without enough time going by for the call to be made, but it was definitely close. Those other two there was really no argument.

Did you get a good look at the goal UVA had where the annoucers were questioning if it had fully crossed the goaline? The one reply seemed to show it might not have but if was tough to see and they never showed it again.

That's also very much up for debate. No angle actually showed it definitely going in but there is no telling what the refs saw. Not great to read into this too much but Porter wasn't arguing too enthusiastically, as if maybe he didn't know or it went in and he was trying to act like it didn't. The announcer also made a comment that the ref "saw all the Virginia players say it was in and then agreed with them." Who knows if that's actually what happened but I wouldn't put it past yesterday's crew.

This was the worst called game I ever seen, period. I really hate to think that refs are fixing games but it's hard not to reach that conclusion when you see the clear and repeated bias again and again and again. I was hoping someone would jump out on the field and deck ref #80 after the final whistle. He was behind a lot of these calls.

I do not believe the ball crossed the goal line on that play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom