vs. Ranked Teams | Syracusefan.com

vs. Ranked Teams

SWC75

Bored Historian
One thing I always wonder about is: Who won the weekend? Which college football team gave the best performance? I decided to look at the question with this system: (1) List the AP top 25 teams going into the weekend; (2) Give each of them points in reverse order of their ranking: 25 for #1, 24 for #2, etc.; (3) Give their opponent that number of points; (4) add the number of points the opponent beat them by or (5) subtract the number of points the opponent lost by. The net result is the number of points the opponents gets for their performance that week. I will keep track only of positive points as I’m trying to measure positive accomplishments, not discredit teams for negative ones.

In the first week, Clemson played the #5 team , Georgia. They get 21 points for that. The beat them by 3 to push it to 24 points. Georgia played Clemson, the #8 team. They got 18 points for that. They lost by 3 and thus wound up with 15 points. A good performance doesn’t necessarily mean you won. While we were sleeping Washington took on #19 Boise State, which gives then 7 points to start with. They won by the shocking score of 38-6 and wound up with 39 points, giving them the most impressive performance of the weekend. Lowly Buffalo came back from a 0-23 first quarter deficit against #2 Ohio State to get within 20-30 and then had a fumble recovery in front of the Ohio State goal line negated by a dubious penalty. They wound up losing by 20 but got 4 points out of it.

There are two obvious problems here: you only get points if you played a ranked opponent: Buffalo could get points this weekend for playing Ohio State but Alabama could get none for playing an unranked Virginia Tech team. But I’m trying to measure exactly that: how did teams do against ranked opponents. Alabama will play more ranked opponents than Buffalo this year and they will wind up with a lot more points. The other problem is that the ranking of a team will change over the course of a season. Southern California started out ranked #1 last year and were still #2 when we played them fairly close. They tumbled to 7-6 and were unranked by the end of the season. But teams can change through injuries, poor response to frustrating losses, chemistry problems, they don’t like the coach, etc. They may have been a more formidable team when they were ranked.

But I’m not going to offer this as an alternative ranking of teams, just as a statistic to look at when deciding where to rank teams. Here are the teams that earned positive points this week for their performance under this system:

Washington beat #19 Boise State by 32 = 39 points
Clemson beat #5 Georgia by 3 = 24 points
Louisiana State beat #20 TCU by 10 = 16 points
Georgia lost to #8 Clemson by 3 = 15 points
Wyoming lost to #18 Nebraska by 3 = 5 points
Buffalo lost to #2 Ohio State by 20 points = 4 points
Eastern Washington beat #25 Oregon State by 3 = 4 points
Texas Christian lost to #12 Louisiana State by 10 = 4 points
North Carolina lost to #6 South Carolina by 17 = 3 points

CUMULATIVE TOTAL FOR SEASON

Washington 39 points
Clemson 24 points
Louisiana State 16 points
Georgia 15 points
Wyoming 5 points
Buffalo 4 points
Eastern Washington 4 points
Texas Christian 4 points

North Carolina 3 points

Watch being too nice to Buffalo. More 20 point losses to ranked teams and they'll really start to threaten us as New York's college team.

Watch being too nice to Buffalo. More 20 point losses to ranked teams and they'll really start to threaten us as New York's college team.
buffalo competed well in that game, and got screwed by an indirect hands to the face penalty on a play where they caused and recovered a fumble at the osu 2 yard line. could have been 30-27 and momentum for buffalo.

You just sound unintelligent, you probably didn't even watch the game.

Buffalo won more than they lost. They kept it competitive, proved that Miller is not invincible in and around the pocket...

Also Khalil Mack, as said by Urban Meyer, displayed a talent on the defensive end that showed that he is the 2nd best linebacker in the country.

Several tackles, 2.5 sacks on Braxton Miller, and a td returned pick six... nothing to sneeze at.

They've found a, so far, solid QB in Joe Licata that can compete at the high D1 level with star Wideout Alex Neutz and Wooden candidate Brandon Oliver.

I'm a Syracuse fan first, but after watching both games, UB's in better shape. I'm not in anyway sayng UB would beat Syracuse, I don't think they would. But for there schedule and circumstances... I'm more worried as a cuse fan than UB.

Let's just watch the totals as they develop during the season. Again, I'm not going to use this as a ranking of teams, just a stat to consider when we rank them.

You just sound unintelligent, you probably didn't even watch the game.

Buffalo won more than they lost. They kept it competitive, proved that Miller is not invincible in and around the pocket...

Also Khalil Mack, as said by Urban Meyer, displayed a talent on the defensive end that showed that he is the 2nd best linebacker in the country.

Several tackles, 2.5 sacks on Braxton Miller, and a td returned pick six... nothing to sneeze at.

They've found a, so far, solid QB in Joe Licata that can compete at the high D1 level with star Wideout Alex Neutz and Wooden candidate Brandon Oliver.

I'm a Syracuse fan first, but after watching both games, UB's in better shape. I'm not in anyway sayng UB would beat Syracuse, I don't think they would. But for there schedule and circumstances... I'm more worried as a cuse fan than UB.

Or, I was making a joke.

Or, I was making a joke.

Well judging by recent happenings by apparently other members, i thought it was an indirect jab at me. Sorry.

Well judging by recent happenings by apparently other members, i thought it was an indirect jab at me. Sorry.

Nah, just think the whole campaign is sort of funny. Good for UB hanging in there though, one of the few games I didn't get a chance to see any of...I watched way too much football this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom