Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts

I am bullish like you are about Red overall. We need to give him time to get his system in place and get some recruiting classes in. . But do you share my concern regarding some of the antics we have seen on this team that Red continues to let happen, specifically with Benny? Are you worried about the lack of poise on this team that seems to allow it to give up and get blown out when they are down?
Continues to let happen? WTH are you talking about? He’s suspended him twice now. Why don’t you wait and see if there’s any punishment for Bennie’s latest antics before you judge the coach. What would you do?

Average loss this season is by 20.5 points!

Only outlier is BC by 5 other than that our best loss is 16.
Can you imagine talking about “our best loss”.
I have been following SU basketball since the 60’s. I have never seen such bad losses. I can’t watch such poor basketball

It’s crAzy to say but I wonder- how many 10+ win losses did we have per year even just the last 5 seasons of JB’s tenure?

Taylor was an issue again. Outside that 5 minute stretch where he got 10 points, he clunked a lot of shots, was abused on defense. Glad to see him hit a few shots but he had more negatives than positives.
He clunked 3 wide open 3s in a row then added a forced fadeaway and bad drive after we had closed the gap killed our first half. He also go abused on d. Nobody was food tonight but need to figure out a plan for next year

He recruited these guys. How has this team improved at all this year??
They have been conditioned playing zone defense, transitioning over to man to man defense, and our recruiting has obviously been less than stellar for multiple reasons. He needs to treat this job, which is a rebuild to a degree like he is an outsider which he is not. However, he needs to do that, and he will do it with tact.

Sometimes you just have to laugh to prevent yourself from crying.
IMG_2370.jpeg

Last edited:
He clunked 3 wide open 3s in a row then added a forced fadeaway and bad drive after we had closed the gap killed our first half. He also go abused on d. Nobody was food tonight but need to figure out a plan for next year
I was just excited he was shooting the ball. Even though he missed, it's about time he stood up and shot some balls.

Red's post game presser can be summed up concisely: "Unacceptable." He was obviously embarrassed, infuriated and disgusted and he did not leave any doubt about the team's lack of effort and resilience. I think he struck a perfect balance between a tipping of the cap and an overturning of the podium.

Just hoping we get to a point where we're not logging blowout losses and talking about "next year" in the beginning of February.

This year was always gonna be a write-off for Red and it's clear this rebuild is substantial.

We need a roster overhaul. We have (what looks like) a couple dynamic freshmen coming in, but freshmen are freshmen and need time. Hopefully he can get better portal window in this year and bring in some experience that can hit the ground running.

Might be a bit early to proclaim that, though there were a few hints of dissension tonight. I’ve tried to be positive regarding Red but a few doubts are starting to creep into my head.
I think seeing Copeland bitching at Red did it for me. Not good imo

Continues to let happen? WTH are you talking about? He’s suspended him twice now. Why don’t you wait and see if there’s any punishment for Bennie’s latest antics before you judge the coach. What would you do?
The kid has had multiple fits since the second suspension. He did some of the same garbage just the other night at Boston College. Did you see him brush by red on his way back to the bench? Have you been watching the games all year since the second suspension? Doesn’t seem like it judging from your post.

I have never, until last night, turn off a game. I could not stand to watch the continuing horrific play. I sure hope Coach Autry can turn this team around.

Williams has some major issues. He acts like he’s in another world. I think he has 3-4 technicals this year. It’s ridiculous his lack of discipline. He acts like a punk. He’s a 6’9” spoiled brat that thinks he knows everything. He’s a cancer on this team and needs to be sent packing. If he went to the locker room without shaking hands that’s reason enough to remove him from the program. At some point, enough is enough. Play guys that want to play the right way. If you’re going to get killed, at least have players on the court trying to play the right way. We will learn a lot against Louisville. They will either come out guns a blazing or quit on the season. I feel bad for Red. He wants it more than the players.

hoopsupstate noted: I feel bad for Red. He wants it more than the players.

Those of us old enough to have watched Red play at Syracuse, then go pro and play overseas, mostly in Europe, come back and put in time as an assistant know he loves the game and desperately wants to succeed as a head coach. Imagine pouring a lifetime of blood, sweat, and tears into a sport you are passionate about and you wind up with a squad that has no chemistry, is soft on the court, and appear to be whiners and cry-babies, at least more than one, on the bench and in the locker room. Yes, some of this is on Red because he is in charge and makes the ultimate call on who's on the squad, or not, but first year coaches inherit an existing program and need time to build it in their image.

Red will get a pass for this year, but given the nature of this years beat-down losses if there isn't discernible improvement next year, and especially the year after, it's gonna be lights out for AA. And the hard truth is building a program in this day and age is tougher than it has ever been . . . by a wide margin. Kids parachute in and out of programs the way most people change underwear. How do you "build" a team and a culture with that type of player churn?

This squad is beginning to show signs of imploding. Nine games to go. Red has to be worried about a China Syndrome style meltdown right here.

Very stormy seas right now.

The shoulder bump he gave to Red, spitting on the floor behind the bench and getting the T should warrant sprints forever this morning or a long vacation from the team. Actually the whole team should enjoy some early morning sprints for quitting yesterday.

Can you imagine talking about “our best loss”.
I have been following SU basketball since the 60’s. I have never seen such bad losses. I can’t watch such poor basketball
i threw in the towel at halftime and handed my wife the remote. NO MAS . went to the kitchen and listened to the ensuing massacre on the radio. won't rewatch it today.

The shoulder bump he gave to Red, spitting on the floor behind the bench and getting the T should warrant sprints forever this morning or a long vacation from the team. Actually the whole team should enjoy some early morning sprints for quitting yesterday.
I agree, I saw this too. ACC always does a good job of getting our players looking like clowns. It's our own faults.

And everyone (well a lot) thought it would be better without JB. We have been blown out more this year than any I can ever remember. We are not even remotely competitive. Embarrassing!!!
Replacing a Hall of Famer is always going to be a leap into the unknown.

Nothing has really changed all season. This is a deeply flawed team that has the narrowest of paths to win.

When things go south they have no answers. So we get mauled.

We’ll win a few more, lose a few more than that, and then the season will end.
I’d rather watch pickup games at the downtown Y than this team. They play with more heart and discipline there than this SU team.

After everything he’s done this season he should be sent packing. He acted like a 5 year old against FSU, throwing his headband to the ground. Don’t think he ever came back in either. He’s the type of person that makes everyone else’s attitude worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom