Wake game concerns me | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wake game concerns me

we are favored by 4 points not 14, win or lose it's a toss up game, even if we play pretty good could still lose for sure.

Two pretty even teams really. We are good and trending up but not that good. Coin flip for sure.

I can see us doing anything from winning by 30 to losing. Helter Skelter. I really love Big12 style football. Just draw it up in the dirt and go long. It's a different feel when you can score points, you're never out of it. I sure don't miss the days hoping we could hold a team to 16 to win. I prefer worrying about holding a team to 40.

Last edited:
I know Wake isn't a gimme, but what am I missing here?

Their two games before beating up on a really bad Louisville they got smoked by FSU and Clemson.

They had a good win against Rice, but everyone Rice has played has had good wins against them. Their defense is really bad and I'm not convinced that their offense is that good. We should win this game.

I know Wake isn't a gimme, but what am I missing here?

Their two games before beating up on a really bad Louisville they got smoked by FSU and Clemson.

They had a good win against Rice, but everyone Rice has played has had good wins against them. Their defense is really bad and I'm not convinced that their offense is that good. We should win this game.

Of course we should. We also should have won vs Pitt.

We are on the rise as a program, but until we prove we are no longer the type of program who will drop games against teams we should beat, we are still one of those programs.

Winning the next two will begin to ease those fears, but we need to see if first. Till then, cautious optimism is the best I (and I suspect most SU fans) can do.

Of course we should. We also should have won vs Pitt.

We are on the rise as a program, but until we prove we are no longer the type of program who will drop games against teams we should beat, we are still one of those teams.

Winning the next two will begin to ease those fears, but we need to see if first. Till then, cautious optimism is the best I (and I suspect most SU fans) can do.

Pitt is 3-3 against top 50 teams. They are significantly better than Wake. Wins against Georgia Tech, Duke and Syracuse make for an exponentially better resume than anything Wake has done.

What has Wake done this year to make them good? They crushed us last year, but this isn't last year. We're significantly better and they're significantly worse.

It is a must win to keep the momentum growing for this football program. Coming home with a loss and falling out of the Top 25 after one week will carry over to the Louisville game and could hurt the chances of increasing our 2019 season ticket base.

The key will be that this team needs to learn to play with a lead and to either hold onto that lead or continue to build on it ala Clemson and other really good teams. This past Saturday was a good first step as NC State got close but SU never fully relinquished that initial 24-7 lead. Now we need to take that next forward like we did against FSU and really put our foot on teams throats and put the game away. Wake has a good enough offense and is playing at home where that will be hard to do but if we can get up say 17-3, no reason we can't have a similar score that FSU had against. them.

Wake will try and run the ball down our throats which hopefully alleviates a bit of our DB injury weakness. It seems as though the secret to success is establishing an early lead and forcing teams to play at our pace. Get a few early stops, establish a 14 point lead and trade punches the rest of the way.

i don't know, I can see Dortch going off this game. Really hope the CBs can come back from injury. I also hope Cordy is starting to get his mojo back.

No crazy penalties, and end up + in the turnover category, and we win by 14.

Other than nuclear war, he is the only thing that scares me. I hear he has small hands and smells like cabbage.
He works with his father doing contracting work, and he plays hard nosed football, so I like him.

He works with his father doing contracting work, and he plays hard nosed football, so I like him.

I'm sure he is a good guy and smells nice :rolleyes: (and I hope he doesn't have small hands :cool:). I wasn't mocking your remark. It is an "Austin Powers" reference.

The Western Michigan game concerned people.

The Florida State game concerned people.

Really, I think it is at the point where it is uninteresting to repeatedly harp on the same point week after week that we can still lose any given game if we play poorly. Sure. But our capability of winning games against any prospective opponent has improved substantially under this head coach and his staff.

And I say this with due respect to the OP'er.

Our barometer most years is going to be how well we compete against our peer programs. If we accord ourselves well, then we're going to have good seasons. And if we struggle against them, then we're going to put ourselves behind the 8 ball. Need to be ready to play against the next peer program on the schedule, Wake Forest. Nobody said games are going to be "easy," but that works both ways.

Y'all worry too much. Clawson had to slow down the pace of the Louisville game because his Defense was getting tired. What are they going to do against our fast paced Offense?

Y'all worry too much. Clawson had to slow down the pace of the Louisville game because his Defense was getting tired. What are they going to do against our fast paced Offense?

Crampingnote_JessicaSheldon-1.jpg

OOOOOWWW!!! Cramps!!!!

/hops up and jogs off field, returns for next play.

I think we'll score plenty of points on these guys. The game is going to come down to defensive stops.

I'd like to see Cordy matched up in man with Dortch from the beginning. If that works, and we can shut him down in a way that frees up the linebackers to focus on the interior runs, it could be a very good night.

I worried and then I thought about the Joey G commit and was happy again. 6-2 and ranked will keep me happy, 8-2 we be very happy, 9-2 I'll be on cloud 9, 10-2 and an invite to the Fiesta Bowl there wouldn't be any words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom