Wake is ranked below us | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wake is ranked below us

The games at UNC and NC State had worse weather by far. Especially vs the 2nd half of our game.

I don't think the conditions were anti short passing. Both teams passed it fine. Part of our game is throwing it down the field. I don't think that was possible because of the wet ball in the first half. The 2nd half we should have at least tried. Especially trailing. It did have an impact but IMO not as great as an impact as your comment is coming across. IMO it wasn't so bad that we had to completely abandon the pass. Our game was a nice day compared to what ND was playing in.

So to go back to your original post, no I don't agree that the weather had an impact on our quick passes since none of our quick passes that we did throw were off the mark.

IMO the coaches overcompensated for the weather.

You are entitled to your opinion, but several posters who attended the game DID in fact talk about how lousy the weather was, and how it undoubtedly adversely affected offensive play. Wake Forest wasn't as impacted, because they are a run first team. We were impacted more, because we can't run the ball effectively.

To your other point, I agree that the coaches overcompensated, but I was watching on TV and not in the stands. The people that were paint a different picture than how you frame it up. I think you were visually deceived by the telecast; which made it look a lot clearer than it did whenever they did a close frame shot, and you could see how hard it was raining and how hard the wind seemed to be blowing.

And you are missing the point about throwing the ball quickly. We did not get the ball out as quickly as we normally do--wet ball, wet field, whatever. Our WRs were slipping and sloppy out of their breaks all game long. That forced Dungey to hang onto the ball longer than he otherwise has all season long, and that was all it took for protection to break down.

A team doesn't go from passing for 400 yards a game and being in the top 10 in a variety of offensive statistical categories to producing a fraction of that and running about half the offensive plays we normally do without weather conditions being a factor... unless, that is, you buy the color commentator's stance that it was the WF defense that was responsible for all of our issues. I don't buy that, and neither did some posters who attended the game in person Saturday.

Last edited:
not mutually exclusive. wind and rain are bad for us and the offensive line play is more dreadful than I thought. the pass protection stunk too

Babers said it was a lot of things. They were better on the inside defensively (their jimmies were better than our joes) and they were scheming well (it was a chess match) and the weather was giving the OL fits (we couldn't do some things we normally do).

Babers said it was a lot of things. They were better on the inside defensively (their jimmies were better than our joes) and they were scheming well (it was a chess match) and the weather was giving the OL fits (we couldn't do some things we normally do).
well, he's not going to say they were just fundamentally inept, which was what I saw.

well, he's not going to say they were just fundamentally inept, which was what I saw.

Ineptness has root causes, no? I don't think it's crazy to think a coach see's lack of experience, strength, weather, and scheme as reasons for sucking while a fan would just see sucking. In fact, I'd argue it's his job to fundamentally understand why they looked bad - diagnosis before cure.

Ineptness has root causes, no? I don't think it's crazy to think a coach see's lack of experience, strength, weather, and scheme as reasons for sucking while a fan would just see sucking. In fact, I'd argue it's his job to fundamentally understand why they looked bad - diagnosis before cure.
i'm just saying the weather doesn't explain it. the line looks worse to me and I never thought they were good.

i'm just saying the weather doesn't explain it. the line looks worse to me and I never thought they were good.

Overall? Or just for that game?

I hear you on them being not good (esp run blocking). I wonder if the D is playing man on all WR with a S over the top of Amba - limiting those short screen passes (which help the OL by getting the ball out quick), forcing deep passes to players other than Amba. Erv, Estime are not great with the deep ball. Ishmeal is lacking in speed. No run game hurts.

That would leave you with longer developing pass plays with a young OL and a QB who looks like Dungey looked (spooked). Throw in some wind and rain and it looks much worse.

I dunno.

Wake is ranked below us... by 3 spots. Seems like we are basically on-par with them, despite people here making it seem like Wake is Colgate. No, I am not talking up our opponents (we get that here a lot too).

Overall? Or just for that game?

I hear you on them being not good (esp run blocking). I wonder if the D is playing man on all WR with a S over the top of Amba - limiting those short screen passes (which help the OL by getting the ball out quick), forcing deep passes to players other than Amba. Erv, Estime are not great with the deep ball. Ishmeal is lacking in speed. No run game hurts.

That would leave you with longer developing pass plays with a young OL and a QB who looks like Dungey looked (spooked). Throw in some wind and rain and it looks much worse.

I dunno.
i think if your line looks that bad for one game, you're in big trouble for the next games

it wasn't long developing plays that were the problem, it was a total mess when the ball was snapped

i think if your line looks that bad for one game, you're in big trouble for the next games

it wasn't long developing plays that were the problem, it was a total mess when the ball was snapped

I disagree then. It's roughly the same line that allowed us to have the top WR and a very good QB and numbers we haven't seen around here since 2012. I'll take the 5 other games as more proof than one played in a monsoon.

The 2nd half of ND and Wake took Amba away, and the weather made all the short timing stuff not work as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom