Was Elijah's shot the longest SU shot ever? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Was Elijah's shot the longest SU shot ever?

Surprised the ball even made it to the hoop let alone go in. It was really far. He was headed side to side instead of towards the basket. And just looked unbalanced. Some amazing strength to even get the ball to the hoop in that circumstance
I was thinking that too. Unbelievable to get a two-handed shot off with that trajectory while moving laterally and still get the ball anywhere near the rim, let alone go in.

i could forgive say dave bing. not sure if he ever did but that would be my nightly game plan
I had to go look it up. SU's media guide isn't as good as orangehoops, but they've got Dennis Duval with 30 once (that's the school record for makes, too - 18) and Demetris Nichols with 27 against UConn in 2006.

I remember being at that game and realizing how badly Nichols was overmatched by Rudy Gay and how badly McNamara, as usual, was overmatched by every Connecticut guard. Checking orangehoops, Nichols made 9 of the 27 shots he took (and McNamara had one of those 5-16 nights). Not good, but better than 8-30.

Not sure about longest bud had to be the highest

did hak get a fg attempt when he heaved ball up against pitt? haks would have certainly hit roof at cameron. hell it almost hit roof at dome.

I had to go look it up. SU's media guide isn't as good as orangehoops, but they've got Dennis Duval with 30 once (that's the school record for makes, too - 18) and Demetris Nichols with 27 against UConn in 2006.

I remember being at that game and realizing how badly Nichols was overmatched by Rudy Gay and how badly McNamara, as usual, was overmatched by every Connecticut guard. Checking orangehoops, Nichols made 9 of the 27 shots he took (and McNamara had one of those 5-16 nights). Not good, but better than 8-30.

tyus says hello. he took 28 last night.

Good call on that one. I feel like Devo's shot was maybe 3-4 feet closer.

Devo's was definitely closer. Hughes was just past the 3 point line. Devo was on that Logo between the 3 point line and half court

Speaking of records, I wonder how many Syracuse players have attempted 30 field goals in a game like the Duke kid did. Too lazy to look it up.

I'm pretty sure an SU guy who went 8-30 in a loss would automatically become my least favorite player ever.
Tyus took 28 shots last night,I believe.

Good call on that one. I feel like Devo's shot was maybe 3-4 feet closer.

I seem to remember Tyler Ennis burying a long shot against Pitt.

And I also think we hit Pitt with a bomb in 2002-03. I seem to remember a game where we had a long buzzer beater, and Jeremy McNeill being quoted as saying, "BLANK looked good to me."

Anybody else remember those?

I seem to remember Tyler Ennis burying a long shot against Pitt.

And I also think we hit Pitt with a bomb in 2002-03. I seem to remember a game where we had a long buzzer beater, and Jeremy McNeill being quoted as saying, " looked good to me."

Anybody else remember those?

Pitt hit the shot in 2003, but it came after the buzzer. That was closer to half court though.

Ennis was well passed half court.

The distance Hughes hit that from was incredible.

Pitt hit the shot in 2003, but it came after the buzzer. That was closer to half court though.

Ennis was well passed half court.

The distance Hughes hit that from was incredible.

Thanks. I agree - that was a heck of a shot by Hughes. Globetrotter-esque.

Excellent memory Skinny Atlas! I remember listening to this game on the radio which without being able to see the game personally was the only way to enjoy SU hoops live. I wish I could remember the opponent but I do remember Joel Mareiness going crazy on the play by play as we all remember he was prone to do and as I recall he said that Dale Shackelford rebounded the shot and heaved a 95 foot long hook shot at the horn that we all believed had to be good based on the incredible excitement on the WSYR 570 AM broadcast.

Also to my recollection, I stayed up to watch the 11 o’clock sports report with good ole Joel Mareiness on the news in order to see if there would be a film clip of the shot even though the referees decided to not count the shot during the game. Sure enough, WSYR channel 3 news showed a replay of the shot and there was really no way of telling if the shot should have counted or not because it was too close to call and the technology did not exist back then to review such a play. Of course no referee appeared to be even looking for the possibility of a made shot to the other end of the court and so it was just easier to believe by the referees to my recollection that the determination was made to not count the shot.

However the call on the radio and the later replay of the shot on the local news was etched into my memory forever just like Joel’s heart attack like breath by breath replay of our our free throw shots back in the day...”shots up...dirty,dirty..aaghh, dirty..GOOD!” LOL! It was literally a 94-95 foot hook shot whirlwind heave in which he had just enough room offset from the basket to hurl the basketball nearly the full length of the court. I truly believe it should have counted because there was not ANY apparent evidence to the contrary and it would have been more easily archived and remembered by ensuing SU fans forever.

It was almost as good as listening to the live play by play on WSYR 570 of the exhilarating victory Jim Boeheim and the Orangemen achieved over coach Denny Crumb and the Darrell Griffith led Louisville Cardinals ‘Doctors of Dunk’ on the road at the bandbox like Freedom Hall in Louisville, KY during Jim’s first few games as the head coach!

My apologies for my slight digression, but WOW!, those are some very sweet memories indeed of our very lightly regarded, unranked, underdog and alleged road kill team taking out the vaunted and highly nationally regarded Doctors of Dunk near the epicenter of the alleged college basketball universe in bluegrass Kentucky! Of course, Dale Shackelford was in that game also and that triggered my old timers memory. Thank you all for bearing with me here and thank you Skinny Atlas for remembering Dale Shackelford’s shot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom