Watching Penny Hardaway begs the question | Syracusefan.com

Watching Penny Hardaway begs the question

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
What basketball player’s career was most derailed by injury ( not drug use or criminal activities).
Penny has to be up there
Our own Billy Owens
Shaun Livingston comes to mind
Jay Williams and Bobby Hurley

Excuse my bias but Bob Lanier's pro career probably would have been very different if he didn't get a bad knee injury his last college game.

I have heard from some people that Bill Walton could’ve been one of the greatest all time if healthy. I have no idea if this is hyperbole and of course we have no way of knowing. But I’ve heard people rave about his game and the potential that was stolen

Certainly Derrick Coleman, too.

The heartbeat issue was obviously major for him, but he had a lot of other injuries that limited him. Still remained an effective player even when he was old, but those first 5 years or so he was a franchise player type of guy.

Last edited:
What basketball player’s career was most derailed by injury ( not drug use or criminal activities).
Penny has to be up there
Our own Billy Owens
Shaun Livingston comes to mind
Jay Williams and Bobby Hurley
Speaking of Livingston - Randy Livingston deserves a mention too. The guy still kicked around in the NBA for years even with shot knees, but he was right there with guys like Kidd, going into college.

I have heard from some people that Bill Walton could’ve been one of the greatest all time if healthy. I have no idea if this is hyperbole and of course we have no way of knowing. But I’ve heard people rave about his game and the potential that was stolen
He was so, so good. Also, a very cerebral player. If you can, find his game against Memphis State. By memory he went 21/22 from the field, and they had a very big front line. The 52: Bill Walton scorches Memphis State in record-setting title game

Last edited:
Just read the book, Wish it Lasted Forever, and it talks about what could have been with Walton.

Certainly Derrick Coleman, too.

The heartbeat issue was obviously major for him, but he had a lot of other injuries that limited him. Still remained an effective player even when he was old, but those first 5 years or so he was a franchise player type of guy.
In 1994, NYT, Charles Barkley was quoted as saying he thought “Coleman could have been the best player on the planet”