Watching Penny Hardaway begs the question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Watching Penny Hardaway begs the question

In 1994, NYT, Charles Barkley was quoted as saying he thought “Coleman could have been the best player on the planet”

Wasn’t that Karl Malone that said that or did they both?

Hill and TMac are interesting ones that were mentioned earlier. They’re both hall of famers already. But both probably lost out on 4-5 seasons of elite production due to injuries, and could’ve been rated with the top tier players of all time - particularly TMac.

TMac is one of the most gifted b-ball players of all time IMO. There’s nothing that guy couldn’t do. Versatile, good-great at everything, 6’8, and extremely athletic.

I have heard from some people that Bill Walton could’ve been one of the greatest all time if healthy. I have no idea if this is hyperbole and of course we have no way of knowing. But I’ve heard people rave about his game and the potential that was stolen
Walton's greatness was no hyperbole. I saw him on TV a couple times in college but was fortunate enough to live in Portland his rookie year and able to watch his first 4 years up close. He had just started to find his NBA greatness when his foot injuries cost him 3 of the next 4 seasons (played 14 games the other season). His first 4 years he averaged about 18 and 14, 4+ assists and almost 3 blocks. The player I most compare Walton to is Tim Duncan. Walton was better in college. Walton may have been as good a pro as Duncan if he stayed healthy. It's a true credit to Bill that he came back after 4 years out and became a quality role player on some pretty good Celtic teams.

I have heard from some people that Bill Walton could’ve been one of the greatest all time if healthy. I have no idea if this is hyperbole and of course we have no way of knowing. But I’ve heard people rave about his game and the potential that was stolen
I was at the 21 for 22 game in St. Louis. Loved watching him. Would have been an all time great. A must listen, albeit crazy, announcer too.

In 1994, NYT, Charles Barkley was quoted as saying he thought “Coleman could have been the best player on the planet”
I thought I heard it was Karl Malone that said that. Maybe they both did, or maybe I'm mixing it.

Walton's greatness was no hyperbole. I saw him on TV a couple times in college but was fortunate enough to live in Portland his rookie year and able to watch his first 4 years up close. He had just started to find his NBA greatness when his foot injuries cost him 3 of the next 4 seasons (played 14 games the other season). His first 4 years he averaged about 18 and 14, 4+ assists and almost 3 blocks. The player I most compare Walton to is Tim Duncan. Walton was better in college. Walton may have been as good a pro as Duncan if he stayed healthy. It's a true credit to Bill that he came back after 4 years out and became a quality role player on some pretty good Celtic teams.
Walton and Duncan is a good comp I think - healthy I still think I take Walton and that is high praise because I think TD was awesome and is very under hyped.

Playing Memphis, I think for the national championship, he scored 52 pts and only missed 1 shot. Dunks were not allowed. I doubt that anyone has done that. I remember a game vs Miami? when Hak took over and only missed 1 shot, but not 52 pts in a natty.

Playing Memphis, I think for the national championship, he scored 52 pts and only missed 1 shot. Dunks were not allowed. I doubt that anyone has done that. I remember a game vs Miami? when Hak took over and only missed 1 shot, but not 52 pts in a natty.
Walton scored 44 points in that game.

52 if you count 4 shots that were not counted because they were ruled dunks. I should have noted that.
It was impressive. Memphis had no answers for him. They had some really good players, too. Larry Kenon was a dynamic forward who went on to play with Julius Erving on those great Nets teams of the mid-70s, and Larry Finch was a great scoring guard.