Way off topic ... Please help Haiti if you can... | Syracusefan.com

Way off topic ... Please help Haiti if you can...

cto

Administrator
The poorest nation in the western hemisphere, Haiti gets more than its fair share of disasters... be they earthquakes or hurricanes or scams purporting to be legit charities. And Haitians are among the nicest, sweetest, kindest people i know. If you can, please consider supporting an organization like Americares that is already supplying badly needed medical supplies and other necessary survival tools in the wake of the horrendous destruction caused by Hurricane Matthew.

From my experience in running a charitable foundation, Americares is the best relief agency in the world. They do an amazing job in leveraging donations and do great work in the field. Here is how to donate:

Americares: Emergency Response and Global Health

Last edited:
The poorest nation in the western hemisphere, Haiti gets more than its fair share of disasters... be they earthquakes or hurricanes or scams purporting to be legit charities. And Haitians are among the nicest, sweetest, kindest people i know. If you can, please consider supporting an organization like Americares that is already supplying badly needed medical supplies and other necessary survival tools in the wake of the horrendous destruction caused by Hurricane Matthew.

From my experience in running a charitable foundation, Americares is the best relief agency in the world. They do an amazing job in leveraging donations and do great work in the field. Here is how to donate:
Hurricane Matthew - Provide Medicines & Hope to People in Crisis

There is nothing off topic about a cause as important as this. That poor country absolutely can not catch a break.

Crazy story (which I feel ok posting because it bumps this thread). I once worked with a guy who was from Haiti. He was a NASA engineer at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Whenever anything didn't go exactly right (which happens often in spacecraft testing), he'd break out into this kind of (mostly kidding) rant centered around "Don't send me back to Haiti!!" It was always odd and funny.

Any way that's my Haiti story.

Thank you for steering me to a reliable organization. I have not trusted the Red Cross ever since their scandal (after Katrina?). I cannot imagine the agony of that nation. There is enough money in the world that we could provide sturdy, earthquake-proof, hurricane-proof domiciles for every single person in Haiti. And I suspect they would let us. It would be relatively politically/culturally uncomplicated.

Imagine . . . .

Thank you for steering me to a reliable organization. I have not trusted the Red Cross ever since their scandal (after Katrina?). I cannot imagine the agony of that nation. There is enough money in the world that we could provide sturdy, earthquake-proof, hurricane-proof domiciles for every single person in Haiti. And I suspect they would let us. It would be relatively politically/culturally uncomplicated.

Imagine . . . .
Americares is the best. More than 97 percent of money given to Americares is used for actual relief. As opposed to much lesser percentages for other alleged relief organizations which have huge "overhead" expenses.

Americares is the best. More than 97 percent of money given to Americares is used for actual relief. As opposed to much lesser percentages for other alleged relief organizations which have huge "overhead" expenses.
They look great - even a shade better than my favored relief organization, Food for the Poor.

Thank you for steering me to a reliable organization. I have not trusted the Red Cross ever since their scandal (after Katrina?). I cannot imagine the agony of that nation. There is enough money in the world that we could provide sturdy, earthquake-proof, hurricane-proof domiciles for every single person in Haiti.
Unfortunately the biggest problem they have is something that money really cannot buy. Their mountainous regions are heavily deforested which triggers deadly landslides during prolonged heavy rain events.

Unfortunately the biggest problem they have is something that money really cannot buy. Their mountainous regions are heavily deforested which triggers deadly landslides during prolonged heavy rain events.
It's a cluster. I do know that. But it still seems that if many people could have earthquake, hurricane-proof homes, at least in the towns, it would save lives. And right now there is this cholera epidemic . . . .

Well, we do what we can, but it's not enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom