We Are Going To Lose More Prime Parking Spaces | Syracusefan.com

We Are Going To Lose More Prime Parking Spaces

BVille44

All Conference
A developer is proposing new student housing at the corner of East Adams Street and University Avenue. The building will be 17 stories tall making it one of the largest in the city of Syracuse. The proposal goes before the Syracuse planning board next month. The 1.1-acre property consists of three parcels and contains a 116-space parking lot and a one-story building that is leased to the Syracuse Eye Center, an eye doctor practice. Landmark Properties has a contract to purchase the property from 612 University Ave. LLC and 1013-1015 Adams St. Parking LLC. The building on the property would be demolished.

I like the idea of modern student housing, I just don't know if that is the right place for a 17 story building. I'd rather see it a bit further down the hill

I like the idea of modern student housing, I just don't know if that is the right place for a 17 story building. I'd rather see it a bit further down the hill
Agree. A building that size in that area is inappropriate.

I hope it is not approved.

Sounds like the parking lot that will be affected is the private one next to the eye clinic (which will be torn down). The Harrison (actually renamed to something else now) and Lehman lots should be ok.

upload_2016-5-26_14-29-12.png

Agree. A building that size in that area is inappropriate.

I hope it is not approved.

Not sure how a building that size in that area is inappropriate. It's not really a residential area. And the Hill is littered with buildings 8-12 stories tall. This wouldn't be that much bigger. I'm all for private developers investing in that area.

Not sure how a building that size in that area is inappropriate. It's not really a residential area. And the Hill is littered with buildings 8-12 stories tall. This wouldn't be that much bigger. I'm all for private developers investing in that area.
If it were a troubled area where development was needed to help turn around a neighborhood, I would agree with it.

That is not the case here. That land is really valuable and it directly borders the university and medical areas. I agree with KellySyracuse, if they insist on building a 17 story building, it should be down the hill more, where it doesn't dominate an area and ruin the view of downtown and Onondaga Valley for many.

If they are willing to drop it to half the proposed site, I would support it (provided the building isn't really ugly).

Can't we have a cohesive neighborhood where the buildings look they they were built with a long term plan?

Probably not. Don't worry, I have no power here. I am sure the city zoning people will rubber stamp it, though they might force some obscure features on the building to make it look East German.

If it were a troubled area where development was needed to help turn around a neighborhood, I would agree with it.

That is not the case here. That land is really valuable and it directly borders the university and medical areas. I agree with KellySyracuse, if they insist on building a 17 story building, it should be down the hill more, where it doesn't dominate an area and ruin the view of downtown and Onondaga Valley for many.

If they are willing to drop it to half the proposed site, I would support it (provided the building isn't really ugly).

Can't we have a cohesive neighborhood where the buildings look they they were built with a long term plan?

Probably not. Don't worry, I have no power here. I am sure the city zoning people will rubber stamp it, though they might force some obscure features on the building to make it look East German.

My guess is that it comes in at a smaller scale. But why would they force it further down the Hill when it's meant to be for student housing. Put it further down the hill or across 81, and it suddenly becomes a less attractive place for students to live, meaning it becomes a less desirable project for a developer to build.

As for a cohesive neighborhood - talk to the university on that one. Every building they build up there has zero correlation to the existing design or architecture of any of the existing buildings on campus.

Build a new dorm down the road and tear down an on campus dorm for a new school. They need more space right on campus

My guess is that it comes in at a smaller scale. But why would they force it further down the Hill when it's meant to be for student housing. Put it further down the hill or across 81, and it suddenly becomes a less attractive place for students to live, meaning it becomes a less desirable project for a developer to build.

As for a cohesive neighborhood - talk to the university on that one. Every building they build up there has zero correlation to the existing design or architecture of any of the existing buildings on campus.
I hear you on the location. One block from M Street is a lot more attractive than 4 or 5.

Agree the university has done a horrendous job managing development of the campus and surrounding area. The one constant is the clear lack of a plan or direction that goes back to the Hall of Languages and Crouse College (two of my favorite buildings btw).

I hear you on the location. One block from M Street is a lot more attractive than 4 or 5.

Agree the university has done a horrendous job managing development of the campus and surrounding area. The one constant is the clear lack of a plan or direction that goes back to the Hall of Languages and Crouse College (two of my favorite buildings btw).

This building design looks 100x better than that abomination of a residence hall/federal prison they had the nerve to put Ernie Davis' name on. And for as beautiful as the law school building is on the inside, the outside design of that building looks like something that belongs in a run down Eastern European city.

There's a need for more student housing and that may not be a bad location. But the last thing they need there is a 17 story albatross featuring more brutalist architecture.

well of course but isn't walking around campus part of the experience?
Somehow I think the students, most 18-25, will be able to climb up a little hill if the building has to be 17 stories high and it gets moved down the hill a little. Or maybe the developer could keep the current location, scale back the height and have his architect draw up something more aesthetically pleasing.

Somehow I think the students, most 18-25, will be able to climb up a little hill if the building has to be 17 stories high and it gets moved down the hill a little. Or maybe the developer could keep the current location, scale back the height and have his architect draw up something more aesthetically pleasing.

That building would be the best looking addition to the Hill in a long time.

shandeezy7 said:
This building design looks 100x better than that abomination of a residence hall/federal prison they had the nerve to put Ernie Davis' name on. And for as beautiful as the law school building is on the inside, the outside design of that building looks like something that belongs in a run down Eastern European city.

The students I know love Ernie Davis hall. During the lottery it's a race to get in there.

man, tomcat firing some darts. I like it.."make it look East German" lol

I am happy to hear it might not be an abomination. Will keep an open mind and hope for the best.

Not a fan of Ernie Davis Hall though I kind of appreciate its quirkiness. Really not a new fan of the Law School building.

But the worst of all is the Campus West building with the Starbucks in it that was built across from the Fine Lot on Raynor. I think it holds housing for grad students. It was bad enough that it cut off the view of the Carrier Dome from Route 81 as you drive by it. But it appears to have been designed to drive any happiness or optimism you might still have deep in your soul. It is a soul crusher building. Definitely designed by an expatriate of East Germany.

The architect should be imprisoned for life for crimes against humanity.

10_ampusWestStudentHousing_EntrySlot.jpg

I won't even comment on that thing they built where Midtown Plaza used to be...

The students I know love Ernie Davis hall. During the lottery it's a race to get in there.

Again, just because it's nice on the inside doesn't mean it's not an abomination on the outside.

I am happy to hear it might not be an abomination. Will keep an open mind and hope for the best.

Not a fan of Ernie Davis Hall though I kind of appreciate its quirkiness. Really not a new fan of the Law School building.

But the worst of all is the Campus West building with the Starbucks in it that was built across from the Fine Lot on Raynor. I think it holds housing for grad students. It was bad enough that it cut off the view of the Carrier Dome from Route 81 as you drive by it. But it appears to have been designed to drive any happiness or optimism you might still have deep in your soul. It is a soul crusher building. Definitely designed by an expatriate of East Germany.

The architect should be imprisoned for life for crimes against humanity.

10_ampusWestStudentHousing_EntrySlot.jpg

I won't even comment on that thing they built where Midtown Plaza used to be...

Yup that building is a joke too. Sick of this building trend using those aluminum panels or whatever the hell they are. Ugly as sin.

That building would be the best looking addition to the Hill in a long time.
Ok then. Eye of the beholder. I think it would fit in nicely if SU were located in Stallingrad.

Regarding parking spaces, the proposed building would have way more than the required minimum. About 400 spots in total, so a net gain of over 250 spaces.

It's an unfortunate choice the city has to make: this is a pretty decent urban design (better than anything SU or a private developer has built in the neighborhood for at least two decades), though the big above-ground garage isn't appropriate, and adding both density and commercial space is a good thing; on the other hand, a 200' building on that hilltop will ruin a lot of great views, both of the grand entrance up University and from surrounding drumlins toward downtown and the lake.

Down the hill would be a better place for a building of this scale, but that's not what's on the table now. Developers are lining up, though, to build this sort of project on Almond once I-81 is removed.

Developers are lining up, though, to build this sort of project on Almond once I-81 is removed.
Any chance Pioneer Homes will also be eliminated or relocated as part of the 81 redesign? That has to be some of the most underutilized real estate in the world, right? I could see the ed-meds paying above assessment to the state (seeing as they subsidize the housing) if that's what gets them to budge.