We better enjoy Waiters this year | Syracusefan.com

We better enjoy Waiters this year

RichmondCuse

Walk On
Wow, surprising. I have no doubt Dion would leave he got a 1st round guarantee. I just didn't think he'd get one...

Maybe Harris, Devendorf and Rautins can have a little chat with Dion before he makes any decisions..

Maybe Harris, Devendorf and Rautins can have a little chat with Dion before he makes any decisions..
Rautins?

Harris and Devo had to leave, I don't think either of them thought they were gonna be 1st round picks.

I still think Dion could be top 8 next year if he came back.

Not because they were high picks - just to tell him to not necessarily believe the hype and that getting and keeping a job in the NBA is harder than it looks.

Not because they were high picks - just to tell him to not necessarily believe the hype and that getting and keeping a job in the NBA is harder than it looks.
Definitely. Flynn, Wes and Donte can help him with that too.

I thought he had a really complete game against Marquette that showed some scouts he could play PG. He has 7 assists (1 turnover) and many of them were very nice plays. In my opinion he is the best ball handler on the court, he has pretty good court awareness and its getting better. With those tools he could definitely play point guard at the next level. I think he is a better all around player than Austin Rivers. He could definitely be gone next year, but I really hope not because I think if we featured him like we will next year... he will be top 10.

I thought he had a really complete game against Marquette that showed some scouts he could play PG. He has 7 assists (1 turnover) and many of them were very nice plays. In my opinion he is the best ball handler on the court, he has pretty good court awareness and its getting better. With those tools he could definitely play point guard at the next level. I think he is a better all around player than Austin Rivers. He could definitely be gone next year, but I really hope not because I think if we featured him like we will next year... he will be top 10.
I've said thsi before and I'll say it again; Scoop will be huge in this. Obviously they're family, so if Scoop and JB both tell Dion he's better off staying for 1 more year, he most likely would; if not, he's gone. Most kids who leave early when they should'nt do so because they listen to their inner circle. If Scoop and Rick are indeed in Dion's inner circle, we might see him for 1 more year.

Definitely. Flynn, Wes and Donte can help him with that too.
Just to add a piece to that, tell Dion to go look at the Houston fans opinion of JF right now. They are lobbying to keep Jeremy Lin over JF. And at this point it's hard to argue.

44cuse

I don't understand this idea of him getting advice from other players to stay. Do you think Flynn, Wes, etc. regret taking the money when they did? One more year in college was going to make them one year older in the eyes of an NBA team and probably wouldn't have made a significant impact on their ability to hold an NBA job. If you're talking about the difference between 1 year of college or 4, then sure - you could come out of that much more prepared. But what is Waiters going to gain from Year 2 to Year 3? If you've got a guaranteed lottery pick staring you in the face, you take it - and i'm quite certain Flynn and Wes would advise him as such.

I think it's all just communist (espn) propaganda to weaken our team next year.

Just to add a piece to that, tell Dion to go look at the Houston fans opinion of JF right now. They are lobbying to keep Jeremy Lin over JF. And at this point it's hard to argue.

44cuse

Well the Houston fans may need to be told Jeremy Lin is on the Knicks right now. But your point is taken.

But how do we know that Jonny regrets his decision? It's no lock he would be any better of a player right now if he came back to school for another year.

I don't see any comparison to Andy, Eric, or Paul. No one on earth had those guys anywhere close to the lottery, there was no "hype" about them. I don't know Dion at all, but if there are multiple scouts/teams telling him he's a possible late lottery pick, he's probably going to go.

44cuse

Isnt Lin with the Knicks? Did I miss something?

I don't understand this idea of him getting advice from other players to stay. Do you think Flynn, Wes, etc. regret taking the money when they did? One more year in college was going to make them one year older in the eyes of an NBA team and probably wouldn't have made a significant impact on their ability to hold an NBA job. If you're talking about the difference between 1 year of college or 4, then sure - you could come out of that much more prepared. But what is Waiters going to gain from Year 2 to Year 3? If you've got a guaranteed lottery pick staring you in the face, you take it - and i'm quite certain Flynn and Wes would advise him as such.

Depends on what he wants.

Want a lot of money right now and a good life if you're smart with it? Great - declare for the draft.

Want a lot more money and a consistent, successful career that will set you and future generations of your family up for life? Then maybe you should stay another year or two, grow, develop, mature.

Can't really lose either way I suppose but one has a few advantages over the other.

For Waiters 1 more year could mean the difference btween being picked 20th or 6th; that's alot more money.

But I see what you're saying. It's hard for a 19 year old kid to turn down that money.

For Waiters 1 more year could mean the difference btween being picked 20th or 6th; that's alot more money.

But I see what you're saying. It's hard for a 19 year old kid to turn down that money.

I more meant, if he's going to be a lottery pick this year - I can't see any way he stays. I don't think these kids think the difference between being picked 10th or 5th is worth staying in school for one year and whatever risks that come along with that.

Folks barring a major injury to soemthing unforseen Waiters is gone after this year. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I think if the season ended now you're correct. But the last thing scouts remember is the last thing they see. I.E. the NCAA tournament. If he blows up and averages 18+ points and 4-5 assists he will go top 10. Assuming we go to atleast the EE8

From Chad Ford's latest NBA Draft blog:

We wrote about Syracuse guard Dion Waiters (Rank: 24) six weeks ago and he continues his torrid pace off the bench. Virtually every scout I've spoken with has him projected as a first-round pick -- and several have him ahead of Duke's Austin Rivers (Rank: 15) and in the late lottery.

Link for insiders:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog...rison-barnes-one-dimensional-just-team-player

I thought (according to the pundits) we don't have any stars.

Depends on what he wants.

Want a lot of money right now and a good life if you're smart with it? Great - declare for the draft.

Want a lot more money and a consistent, successful career that will set you and future generations of your family up for life? Then maybe you should stay another year or two, grow, develop, mature.

Can't really lose either way I suppose but one has a few advantages over the other.

This is miscasting his the choice(s) in front of him. I mean, I get what you're saying and I think anyone could make a pretty compelling case for DW to return. BUT, there are a ton of other factors at play here. A few are:

-- Eligibility -- does he actually want to attend enough classes and pass enough tests to remain eligible for another year? I'm not knocking his intelligence but rather pointing out that if you want to be an engineer, you wouldn't necessarily choose a liberal arts school that wants you to take english, history, philosophy, theology, etc. Dion's career is the NBA.

-- Does he want to risk staying healthy? There's a reason that someone coined the phrase "one in the hand is worth two in the bush" or whatever that saying is. DW getting a life-changing sum of money in June could be construed as the smart decision regardless of what he *could* do were he to return for a year.

-- Is there an advantage to being picked by a better team later in the first round? I don't know but a guy like Glen Davis has probably enjoyed his NBA career more than some of his peers picked much earlier.

-- Could DW improve more by playing in the NBA full-time vs. splitting time on a few different pursuits in college? Certainly a chance this could be true.

-- Could DW come back for a year, remain a bit inconsistent as a shooter and hurt (or at least not help) his draft status? I think this could be a possibility.

I don't know, but I just think there are a lot of factors at play.

We've been through this about Waiters when I posted if he is the most complete guard at the Cuse in the modern era. There is no question that scouts love what they see. I didn't think of this before but my new analogy is that he is Jonny Flynn in Paul Harris' body. That and add in a little more talent.

Harris was an NBA prospect in highschool. Devo and Rautins were never NBA prospects.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't Dion have a kid? If so, that could impact his decision.

One other thing: take a look at the comments Dion has been receiving on Twitter...every other one seems to be some variation on, "see you in the NBA next year."

I think Chad Ford is one of the best writers at ESPN and he has always had excellent sources, so I definitely believe him . . . but I am surprised. There is no doubt that Dion is a physical mismatch for most college guards, but once the NBA gets him in their combines and workout sessions and see that he is small for a 2 and has poor form on his jumper, he is going to have to show playmaker skills or his projected draft position could really slide.

I think Chad Ford is one of the best writers at ESPN and he has always had excellent sources, so I definitely believe him . . . but I am surprised. There is no doubt that Dion is a physical mismatch for most college guards, but once the NBA gets him in their combines and workout sessions and see that he is small for a 2 and has poor form on his jumper, he is going to have to show playmaker skills or his projected draft position could really slide.

I don't know it is not as though his size vis a vis the prototypical NBA 2 is something that can be hidden and his jump shot is out there on view for anyone who cares to watch a game. Do you really think that scouts aren't already factoring that in to their assessments of him?

In reality a scout's views now is given with no consequences attached so maybe the scouts Ford has talked to haven't done their homework yet.