We better not take MTSU lightly | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We better not take MTSU lightly

I guess "upset" has to do with expectations" before the game.

Now that we have seen the two teams play we now know --- or should know --- that these teams were pretty evenly matched. "Luck" had little to do with what we all just witnessed.

Of course, some will look at it and consider it a "fluke".

If this were the SU team with Carmelo and Hak and GMac, I'd agree.

But this is the SU team with a far weaker cast that has been erratic all through the season and has significant flaws.

What I'm seeing so far is what you pointed out about consistency. We don't know which team will show up for both Blue and White on Sunday. Our 1 game winning streak isn't as impressive as theirs, what is it, 7 now? Of course MSU had one of 9, but I think that makes MT's win even more impressive. I still havent given this game serious looking into, but if Two3 is right, he'll be the first out of the gate with this strong of a stand. Now I'm hoping the conference tournaments dont matter thread turns out to be correct, but earlier I was ambivalent at best toward that statement.

We can relax though, Boeheim should take these guys for granted like Two3, even though in the presser it seemed a foregone conclusion to him that we'd be playing MSU. I'm not sure if that's bulletin board material though, or I hope not. They dont need any extra boost than they already have.

Syracuse will win on Sunday because unlike Michigan St. they'll play defense.

The ride probably comes to an end in the sweet 16 though. Either Gonzaga or Utah will dominate down low so it doesn't matter much who wins that match up. But if something crazy should happen and Syracuse is able to scrap out a win in the sweet 16, I'd bet on them winning in the elite 8 and reaching the final four.

I said earlier in this thread that Cinderella teams scare me (not meaning SU, obviously). Plenty of these low ranking teams have gone on impressive tournament runs taking down lineups of better teams. SU has been on the losing end of too many of those. I always think back to Vermont.

I think we win this, but I think it might be a tough one.

I said earlier in this thread that Cinderella teams scare me (not meaning SU, obviously). Plenty of these low ranking teams have gone on impressive tournament runs taking down lineups of better teams. SU has been on the losing end of too many of those. I always think back to Vermont.

I think we win this, but I think it might be a tough one.

15 seeds don't normally make too many runs after the initial lucky win. They're not good teams hence the 15 seed.

If beating this team is going to be a tough one then we have even more issues than we initially though. This game should be a gimmie.

I found this from the Middle Tennessee message board...
If we shoot like we did today, Syracuse will be forced to abandon their zone and go man-2-man. Shooting them out of that zone could make them uncomfortable in man coverage, which we've proven we can deal with as well with penetration and kick outs.

Look for more of a chess match on Sunday with both coaches trying to confuse the other with lots of different looks. I'm expecting them to press, zone, man-2-man, the kitchen sink basically.

Surprised Mich St. didn't do more of that, especially in the 2nd half. They basically played us man all game and got flat out beat.
Laughing-GIF_1.gif

Florida Gulf Coast is the only 15 seed to win in the Round of 32. The rest of them lost by double digits. Remember Norfolk State? They couldn't miss against Mizzou and then they lost by 30+ to Florida. Not saying we win by that many, only that it doesn't take much for a hot team to go cold.

The zone will take away their ability to penetrate. Potts is not going to get many looks from outside. They're not a big team by any means, so they won't be able to exploit our weakness down low. They basically have a day to prepare for something they've never seen before.

Sure, the tournament is crazy and nothing is guaranteed. Still, I think this is a favorable matchup and the best we could have hoped for.

MTSU is more of a 14-seed type team and has the versatility at all positions to give us issues - as we all saw they can really shoot it from deep. If Roberson plays like he did today we should control the boards. G should have much more of an easier time scoring Sunday than he did today.

It will be a rock fight, but I think all of us would rather take our chances with MTSU than we would with MSU.

77-63 SU.

MTSU is more of a 14-seed type team and has the versatility at all positions to give us issues - as we all saw they can really shoot it from deep. If Roberson plays like he did today we should control the boards. G should have much more of an easier time scoring Sunday than he did today.

It will be a rock fight, but I think all of us would rather take our chances with MTSU than we would with MSU.

77-63 SU.

77-63 SU.
I think they're more like a 10-12 seed.

77-63 SU.

13 – 15 Seeds to Make it to the Sweet 16

But in this case, the 15 seed isn't playing the 7 seed as expected. It's playing the 10 seed (That's SU. We were also and upset winner)

And even when they were playing the 7 Seed, it does happen.

15 Florida Gulf Coast (2013)

14 Cleveland State (1986)

13 Ohio (2012)

13 Richmond (1988)

13 Valpo (1998)

13 Oklahoma (1999)

13 Bradley (2006)

Of course, if the argument is then that there's a huge difference between a 13 seed and a 15 seed,

13 La Salle (2013)

I found this from the Middle Tennessee message board...

Laughing-GIF_1.gif

I'm going to save my laughter for after the game. I'm guessing theyre laughing at some posters here or elsewhere as well, as are a number of us.

I'm going to save my laughter for after the game. I'm guessing theyre laughing at some posters here or elsewhere as well, as are a number of us.
Oh - you think it's possible that Syracuse plays man? Very well.

13 – 15 Seeds to Make it to the Sweet 16

But in this case, the 15 seed isn't playing the 7 seed as expected. It's playing the 10 seed (That's SU. We were also and upset winner)

And even when they were playing the 7 Seed, it does happen.

15 Florida Gulf Coast (2013)

14 Cleveland State (1986)

13 Ohio (2012)

13 Richmond (1988)

13 Valpo (1998)

13 Oklahoma (1999)

13 Bradley (2006)

Of course, if the argument is then that there's a huge difference between a 13 seed and a 15 seed,

13 La Salle (2013)

So a grand total of 1 15 seed has made it to the sweet 16? Well, all I have to say is that it would be embarrassing (not as embarrassing as MSU) if we let them beat us.

77-63 SU.

That's the thing though, how often has Roberson tied Coleman or Owen's record? And how often twice in a row? That's a big if. I'm hoping just like everyone, but not taking it for granted.

During my excitement in MTSU Game Thread(tm) I created, I some may have noticed me calling their players "Roberson". It wasn't for their jump shot. Call me crazy, but I'm not sure rebounding will be as easy as it was today. The more I think about it, the more I have us winning, but by a more modest margin still.

Syracuse will win on Sunday because unlike Michigan St. they'll play defense.

The ride probably comes to an end in the sweet 16 though. Either Gonzaga or Utah will dominate down low so it doesn't matter much who wins that match up. But if something crazy should happen and Syracuse is able to scrap out a win in the sweet 16, I'd bet on them winning in the elite 8 and reaching the final four.

Re your first sentence - You may be right and I hope you are right. But prior to today if somebody had written that sentence on a message board I would have expected the men in white coats to take them away. But admittedly MSU had an awful defensive game. Gotta give MT credit though. Some of their guys were very effective off the dribble.

Last edited:
Oh - you think it's possible that Syracuse plays man? Very well.

No, but most fanbases have their share of ignorant fans. I won't fault one of them for not knowing how stubborn JB is when every year we have people on here suggesting the same thing should happen. Yeah it's funny, but I'm not busting a gut or anything yet. ;)

The poster is also likely riding some crazy wave of emotion...we never see that on here, right?

CaptainJ said:

Way more fun to laugh and poke fun at each other. It's sports, man. Gentlemen need not apply ;).

Florida Gulf Coast is the only 15 seed to win in the Round of 32. The rest of them lost by double digits. Remember Norfolk State? They couldn't miss against Mizzou and then they lost by 30+ to Florida. Not saying we win by that many, only that it doesn't take much for a hot team to go cold.

The zone will take away their ability to penetrate. Potts is not going to get many looks from outside. They're not a big team by any means, so they won't be able to exploit our weakness down low. They basically have a day to prepare for something they've never seen before.

Sure, the tournament is crazy and nothing is guaranteed. Still, I think this is a favorable matchup and the best we could have hoped for.
Their back line goes 6'8", 6'7",6'6". Not that different from ours.

Is it possible that watching too many games on TV during a two-day period can induce AMNESIA.

Because I'm starting to think that some of our fans are suffering from AMNESIA in which they have forgotten about the previous four months and can only remember this afternoon. (Although they do have faint glimpses of the Glory Days)

We have all suffered through the ups and downs of this season. We limped into the end of the season and got off the bubble somehow. (I still don't understand how after losing four of our last five games and getting knocked out of the ACC tourney in the first round). But I'll take it.

We then went on to upset a higher seeded team in a game in which the opponent set a record for missed lay-ups.

We watched our next opponent beat a 2 Seed (MSU).

And some of us are now licking our chops assuming that this next game will be easy and that our entrance into the Sweet 16 is all but inevitable.

It has to be AMNESIA.

Well, we certainly couldn't have asked for a better situation. As I was watching MSU vs. MTSU, I was thinking, "Wow. This is working out a whole lot better than I ever thought it would".

But for fans of this particular SU team to scoff at the idea that MTSU, a 15 seed, can beat us seems crazy to me.

If MTSU was unimpressed with MSU, I don't think they are too worried about a 19 win SU team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom