We honestly have not... | Syracusefan.com

We honestly have not...

CanadianSU

Living Legend
Made a legit third down stop on defence. Now perhaps I am totally wrong and I know we forced Louisville to some very very lucky turnovers last week but can someone tell me when a player on defence made one single play ?

This may be a slight hyperbole but honestly today the only reason South Florida didn't come up with the first downs was due to their own errors... Like seriously someone is absolutely ALWAYS open its crazy!

The problem here is the offense is not a well oiled machine 3 games in (expected) and this defensive unit might be the worst defensive squad I have ever seen on a field not only for Syracuse University but for as long as I have been watching football. There are about id say 2 legit P5 defenders on the team who are Clark and Cordy (now injured) slight nod to Kayton Samuels. I know this is what the former head coach left Babers...point still remains. Also I hate to rag on college players but Zaire Franklin... what happened ?!!

FYI: How the heck are we supposed to recruit good players on defense when we give up a bunch of points every single game ? will we ever get the right players for the dreaded "Tampa 2?".

/rant.

Made a legit third down stop on defence. Now perhaps I am totally wrong and I know we forced Louisville to some very very lucky turnovers last week but can someone tell me when a player on defence made one single play ?

This may be a slight hyperbole but honestly today the only reason South Florida didn't come up with the first downs was due to their own errors...

The problem here is the offense is not a well oiled machine 3 games in (expected) and this defensive unit might be the worst defensive squad I have ever seen on a field not only for Syracuse University but for as long as I have been watching football. There are about id say 2 legit P5 defenders on the team who are Clark and Cordy (now injured) slight nod to Kayton Samuels. I know this is what the former head coach left Babers...point still remains.

FYI: How the heck are we supposed to recruit good players on defense when we give up a bunch of points every single game ? will we ever get the right players for the dreaded "Tampa 2?".

/rant.

The defensive cupboard is pretty bare, they need to start mixing things up. Start blitzing more, if you can't get pressure with your front four, start sending more guys. Also start mixing up your coverages. Play cover 3 for a couple of series, then play some man, then play some cover two.

The defensive cupboard is pretty bare, they need to start mixing things up. Start blitzing more, if you can't get pressure with your front four, start sending more guys. Also start mixing up your coverages. Play cover 3 for a couple of series, then play some man, then play some cover two.
We did better getting pressure this week. But last week maaaaaaaaaan ! I know Jackson could win the Heisman but he literally could have sat and had Dinner back there because we only sent three guys.

I am totally scared what Deshaun Watson (or any qb actually) is going to do with literally ALL day to throw. (eventually find someone open beyond the sticks, or just scramble for 15

We did better getting pressure this week. But last week maaaaaaaaaan ! I know Jackson could win the Heisman but he literally could have sat and had Dinner back there because we only sent three guys.

I am totally scared what Deshaun Watson (or any qb actually) is going to do with literally ALL day to throw. (eventually find someone open beyond the sticks, or just scramble for 15
Louisville just beat FSU by like 40 points. I do not think that the Louisville game is a good barometer of this season. We can be frustrated by USF, but we should all shut up about Louisville.

Louisville just beat FSU by like 40 points. I do not think that the Louisville game is a good barometer of this season. We can be frustrated by USF, but we should all shut up about Louisville.
Certainly fair enough.

Flowers is horrible if you can flush him out of the pocket. His accuracy goes to virtually zero when he's on the move. I understand being down on the defense, but flushing him and getting him moving is a legit strategy to stop him and USF. Our defense did that successfully on several 3rd downs. Did he miss passes to open guys? Yes. So you could look at that as a gift from them, that isn't completely fair. That was what our defense was doing - forcing him to make accurate throws while on the move. He couldn't do it. But that was the point.

Last years defense with our current offense we would have won that game yesterday. Flowers would have scrambled for his life and would have been forced to throw on the run.

This may be a slight hyperbole but honestly today the only reason South Florida didn't come up with the first downs was due to their own errors... Like seriously someone is absolutely ALWAYS open its crazy!

The problem here is the offense is not a well oiled machine 3 games in (expected) and this defensive unit might be the worst defensive squad I have ever seen on a field not only for Syracuse University but for as long as I have been watching football. There are about id say 2 legit P5 defenders on the team who are Clark and Cordy (now injured) slight nod to Kayton Samuels. I know this is what the former head coach left Babers...point still remains. Also I hate to rag on college players but Zaire Franklin... what happened ?!!

/rant.

Considering that Lville had 4 three and outs and USF had 3 and 2 other short drives that resulted in punts somebody must have made some plays.

Cusefan78 said:
Last years defense with our current offense we would have won that game yesterday. Flowers would have scrambled for his life and would have been forced to throw on the run.
Maybe you didn't see the game last year where they scored 45 on last year's defense where they didn't have to throw much at all.

Maybe you didn't see the game last year where they scored 45 on last year's defense where they didn't have to throw much at all.
Last years defense was full of freshman. You don't think we get any better after a year and also at home

Zaire has some technique issues that I hope he can figure out but the dudes been in a no win situation

Last years defense was full of freshman. You don't think we get any better after a year and also at home
Full of freshmen? We had some, but we also had plenty of upper classmen playing D against USF. Nto to mention, USF returned most of their offense this year. Should we expect to be the only team who expects returning players to improve from year to year?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom