we left so many pts on the table that first half | Syracusefan.com

we left so many pts on the table that first half

upperdeck

Living Legend
1 drive score
2nd score
3rd drive 3 and out

4th drive, back to back poorly thrown balls on go routes, one was dropped that would have been a TD, but both balls Tawo had the DB beat with no safety and good throws are TDs

5th drive. first time we saw Moe in 3rd and short. Live I thought he missed the hole for the first down, but watching the replay while a bigger back might hit that hole hard and drive for the first down, he actually hit what is probably the hole they wanted him to be in.. if the left guard makes any kind of block its a TD as there is no one left and both LB are in the other hole. it was a perfectly sealed hole just a missed block.

6th drive. 2nd and short and dungey takes a bad sack with lots of protection. he needs to get better with the clock in his head.. led to 3rd a long and a failed screen.

7th drive. Uconn scores we drive 55 yds and dungey misses phillips on an open corner route, Td or first down inside the 10 with a good throw.if Towa runs his route a bit better the Db can slack off and the throw would have even been easier.. still needs to make that throw.. then we miss FG

8th drive. uconn ties it up, plays it a bit soft but we ran some nice plays and drive for a FG.

17-14,

Uconn missed on the 4th down pass that we blew a coverage too. so could easily have been 31-38 to 21 at the half. But at worst should have been 10-13 pt lead. I think Dino sees these mistakes in the comments. QB has no pressure all half, QB misses throws, Oline needs to make simple blocks, WR cant drop TD passes, Correctable mistakes in his head hopefully not a talent issue.

Probably the best half the offense played all year for chances to score. When do we play a complete half and limit those mistakes?

1 drive score
2nd score
3rd drive 3 and out

4th drive, back to back poorly thrown balls on go routes, one was dropped that would have been a TD, but both balls Tawo had the DB beat with no safety and good throws are TDs

5th drive. first time we saw Moe in 3rd and short. Live I thought he missed the hole for the first down, but watching the replay while a bigger back might hit that hole hard and drive for the first down, he actually hit what is probably the hole they wanted him to be in.. if the left guard makes any kind of block its a TD as there is no one left and both LB are in the other hole. it was a perfectly sealed hole just a missed block.

6th drive. 2nd and short and dungey takes a bad sack with lots of protection. he needs to get better with the clock in his head.. led to 3rd a long and a failed screen.

7th drive. Uconn scores we drive 55 yds and dungey misses phillips on an open corner route, Td or first down inside the 10 with a good throw.if Towa runs his route a bit better the Db can slack off and the throw would have even been easier.. still needs to make that throw.. then we miss FG

8th drive. uconn ties it up, plays it a bit soft but we ran some nice plays and drive for a FG.

17-14,

Uconn missed on the 4th down pass that we blew a coverage too. so could easily have been 31-38 to 21 at the half. But at worst should have been 10-13 pt lead. I think Dino sees these mistakes in the comments. QB has no pressure all half, QB misses throws, Oline needs to make simple blocks, WR cant drop TD passes, Correctable mistakes in his head hopefully not a talent issue.

Probably the best half the offense played all year for chances to score. When do we play a complete half and limit those mistakes?

That 4th drive, man, ET catches that ball he's gone again. But no one's perfect, he's just closer to it than anyone we've seen recently.

6th drive, I thought that 2nd and short was screaming for a quick run. Just move the chains, and then hit it deep on the ensuing 1st down.

Agree though, the plays were all there. We'll get there. This offense is a chain moving machine with someone open all the time.

Even when we didn't score, we flipped field position on punts. Both led to UConn mistakes. One, eventually, two immediately (and 7).

Like Babers said, waiting for doubles on ET and then we see things change and other guys get more opportunities. The UCONN DB he abused is highly regarded

Agree with UD's post though, lots of points left out there in the 1st half.. Onward and upward

I agree that sometimes we run the offense, like we are clicking on all cylinders and we arent there yet.. a team that can run when it needs to can be greedy on 2nd and short. when it works we look good, when it doesnt we stall out. oline play will decide how far we can go with this style and how quickly. if we can get to the point where we can run 3-4-5 times in a row and move the chains this passing game becomes deadly.

We'll get there. Remember, not only are we implementing an entirely different offensive system (night and day), but we also have a lot of young guys running around out there.

Our offense against UCONN featured exactly two seniors out there, one of which is a backup.

The band aid is officially being torn off...

Which was the drive we went 2 TEs and went play action 2x in a row? First kinda worked, but then Dungey was sacked on the 2nd one and I think the drive stalled out right there, might be misremembering the sequence a bit. But either way, I think we got a little too cute there and stalled our offensive momentum.

you cant say that tempo got us extra drives Sat to skew the stats. we only had 8-10 chances and still have almost 500 yds.

1 drive score
2nd score
3rd drive 3 and out
We were throwing the ball all over them and went away from it this drive. Can't blame the run on 1st down, but 2nd and long run was simply dumb.

Can't recall off the top of my head but I believe we called a screen here on 3rd down, which never works for us. We should have tried a third time to get it to ET.

Not a wise idea to give a true frosh the ball on 3rd and short let alone a 150lb one. You shouldn't need perfect blocking there. Also why did we not go for it on 4th down?

I didn't think it was a bad sack at all. They got pressure right away. I absolutely hate that coaches call deep balls or trick plays on 2nd and short. More oftne than not a negative play occurs causing a 3rd and long.

The wind seemed to be a bit of a factor on KR/PR so I am guessing it was as well on FGs. So why go for a 49 yarder instead of the first down?

17-14,

you cant say that tempo got us extra drives Sat to skew the stats. we only had 8-10 chances and still have almost 500 yds.

This is interesting for sure.

Our YPP went up after this game due to the big plays. On a meathead team, you'd probably chalk that up to Amba "just making plays" (and there is some of that) - but this system creates big pass plays deep. It's more likely that it will continue than it won't.

If we could just muster a better run game - all of the stats, regardless of the amount of possessions would take off.