We Need a Star | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We Need a Star

The thing about star players is that they are able to step up to that level because they have 3 other players doing the dirty work.

RJ Davis had 2 of the top 4 rebounders on the best rebounding team in the ACC. You think he had to worry about shot selection when 2 out of 3 times he's getting a 2nd chance look.

I don't think the star is on the team right now. Even if Q stays (and I want him to) we don't want him to be the "Guy" since he's best used to spark the engine, not be the engine.

JJ I wanted to say could be the star after UNC but I'm not sure he has that personality / aggressiveness consistently. Bell sort of the opposite, plays with too much emotion to the point where he's easily rattled on both ends.

That leaves Freeman and Moore or a portal Guard to step up. I think if it's up to Autry he'll build around JJ in the backcourt and Brown in the frontcourt and push them to be the floor captains but that worries me with how passive they appear. As Juniors in a league that will feature alot more inexperienced players next year with the covid kids gone it'll be interesting.

We gotta find the balance, less chirping on court but still keeping the aggressiveness on offense.

The offense flowed virtually every time he touches the ball. I'm not sure how we're not all lock-step on this
What’s your definition of a star?

Mine would be someone who can take over long stretches of a game and elevates their game at clutch time.

It’s a John Wallace. GMac his final two years. Obviously a Melo.

Hope not we won’t win 20 games if we lose all our good players other than Brown. I don’t consider Starling a good player on a top team either he’s OK. Cuffe and Westry to save us at guard? Lol we might be the worst team in the ACC.

Red needs to retain Q no matter what will be a crippling loss like Edwards.
Cope isnt even going to class as a bunch of people are saying. He should be kicked off immediatly.

Being 'nice' off the court doesn't win you games. The Boeheim kids were nice and we ended up with a losing record when there were 2 of them and not just 1. They had OK teammates JG3, Swider, Jesse.

Developing Q for 2 years so he can be a star somewhere else is moronic. Let Judah and Benny move on and try and coach him up. If he gets beat out hes still a high energy bench option. If he acts up he gets booted.
I am going to give you the chance to clean that statement up. You aren't insinuating that Copeland is better than Buddy, are you? Buddy was a first team All Acc player. He led us to the sweet 16 one year. Really carried us. And has actually played in a NBA game. Yes. He is also a good kid. Respectful to pretty much everyone. A good teammate to all of his teammates. Copeland falls way short on that.

Last edited:
Hope not we won’t win 20 games if we lose all our good players other than Brown. I don’t consider Starling a good player on a top team either he’s OK. Cuffe and Westry to save us at guard? Lol we might be the worst team in the ACC.

Red needs to retain Q no matter what will be a crippling loss like Edwards.
A crippling loss like that of our starting center who was good? Copeland has potential. But as of right now, he can't shoot. Turns the ball over too much. We can replace him and not even feel it. Not to mention, it is possible that if he leaves, others we need, may stay. Not because of a great dislike for him, but of the drama that he helped create.

What’s your definition of a star?

Mine would be someone who can take over long stretches of a game and elevates their game at clutch time.

It’s a John Wallace. GMac his final two years. Obviously a Melo.
I think cope can be that kind of guy

Jeez what the hell did Cope do??

I love his style but agree he’s replaceable.

If there are two players we can’t afford to lose it’d be Brown and Starling.

I like both but honestly, there is no one we couldn't lose from this team.
Im not sure I agree. We have a player that showed up and showed a next gear vs a conference foe thats owned us. Starling.

Brown has a good attitude towards rebounding and defense, which clearly is hard to teach. He’s also shown great offensive development.

We’ve got to beat some of the UNC’s, Virginia’s and Duke’s of the world if we want to be a top 25 team again.

Im fine with Mintz leaving. Starling and Brown though are known commodities that start assembling that puzzle

Im not sure I agree. We have a player that showed up and showed a next gear vs a conference foe thats owned us. Starling.

Brown has a good attitude towards rebounding and defense, which clearly is hard to teach. He’s also shown great offensive development.

We’ve got to beat some of the UNC’s, Virginia’s and Duke’s of the world if we want to be a top 25 team again.

Im fine with Mintz leaving. Starling and Brown though are known commodities that start assembling that puzzle
I like both. I hope and think they are staying. Just that, we can replace them if we have to.

The thing about star players is that they are able to step up to that level because they have 3 other players doing the dirty work.

RJ Davis had 2 of the top 4 rebounders on the best rebounding team in the ACC. You think he had to worry about shot selection when 2 out of 3 times he's getting a 2nd chance look.

I don't think the star is on the team right now. Even if Q stays (and I want him to) we don't want him to be the "Guy" since he's best used to spark the engine, not be the engine.

JJ I wanted to say could be the star after UNC but I'm not sure he has that personality / aggressiveness consistently. Bell sort of the opposite, plays with too much emotion to the point where he's easily rattled on both ends.

That leaves Freeman and Moore or a portal Guard to step up. I think if it's up to Autry he'll build around JJ in the backcourt and Brown in the frontcourt and push them to be the floor captains but that worries me with how passive they appear. As Juniors in a league that will feature alot more inexperienced players next year with the covid kids gone it'll be interesting.

We gotta find the balance, less chirping on court but still keeping the aggressiveness on offense.
I agree that there has to be balance because to have a “star” , a consistent reliable presence, others have to accept their roles to win and yet have the ability to step up when defenses key on stopping their “star” or he’s having a tough game. That’s what made our best teams great. I prefer players who hate to lose, want their team not just themselves to excel and have a laser focus on the overall goal - a championship.

Cope isnt even going to class as a bunch of people are saying. He should be kicked off immediatly.
If that's the case, I hope he's planning to play professionally in some capacity. Otherwise, he's really rolling the dice eligibility-wise.

HUGE red flag if true.

100%, those are the two kids we really should want back. After that? Eh

Jr Quadary Copeland with an improved jumper and better decision making is our best shot at this.

I don't think Freeman's game translates to dominating as a freshman. I think he'll be very good and a great compliment to Brown just not a put the team on his back guy.
I don’t think k you bring in guys to compliment players like Brown, who themselves are complimentary players. The potential star on the current roster are Bell and maybe JJ or Q.

Starling is worse than Girard on defense hes the one guy that plays a ton of minutes I would nudge out the door after Taylor. Won't happen so lets hope he can at least become average on that end because its a liability.

For all the changes in basketball, the one thing that hasn’t: you need a star

All our final four teams had a star you could go-to. The original construct of this team was for Judah to be the star. Just doesn’t work.

We need Donnie next year or some unforeseen transfer to come forth to do any damage in the third month of the year.

We need more talent overall. I’d be shocked if Donnie is the kind of player you’re talking about.

Potentially could have been Bathea.

We’d need to land a huge fish from the portal.

But we need to focus on overall talent. There aren’t many stars in college as it is.

Starling is worse than Girard on defense hes the one guy that plays a ton of minutes I would nudge out the door after Taylor. Won't happen so lets hope he can at least become average on that end because its a liability.
Not really. He was bad but let’s look at what happened a lot. Judah gambled and Bell was a black hole on defense as well. That meant the guy to his left and right were not helping at all.