We need to face facts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We need to face facts

The bball team still puts up 20+ win seasons and tournament runs even if people disagree with a call or performance here and there.

The football team hasn't shown that consistency since the 1990's.

Dino wants faith without belief. At some point you need to show results. W's not L's.

So basically we need the longest winning season streak in all of sports for the fans to show up and stay all game. Awesome.

Actually no. The reason we won has a lot to do with coaching. Not luck.

So we should have beaten FSU then since they were terrible when we played them and we outplayed a significantly better Clemson team?

Other then a temper tantrum. What is your main point here? That we had a disappointing loss? That our coaches blow? What is it?
The point is that we got rolled at home by wake forest. What do you think is the point?

So we should have beaten FSU then since they were terrible when we played them and we outplayed a significantly better Clemson team?
Get a grip. No. FSU is better than us. You can only get so much juice out of an Orange. having said that, if our kicker made a kick, we might have won that game. Him missing that kick, that was the coaches fault too?

Not really. We rarely even sold out a 50,000 seat stadium when we were good.

And the fans were a bunch of mouthbreathing babies whenever we lost back then too. I remember a TON of empty seats when we played Tulane in ‘97, because we were 1-3. Then everyone jumped on the wagon again when we started blowing everybody out.

Fair weather, pro football mentality fans for the most part. It’s rare to come across someone that knows jack sh7t about Syracuse football.

We averaged 46,000 a game in 1997. That's pretty good when your max is 49k.
So basically we need the longest winning season streak in all of sports for the fans to show up and stay all game. Awesome.

Or just a winning season. Not asking for much here when you should have 4 built in wins in the non-conf and only need 2 more just to get bowl eligible.

The point is that we got rolled at home by wake forest. What do you think is the point?
Who was talking to you? I asked a question of someone responding to me. You can't answer for him. Not to mention that I am not the least interested in what you think or believe.

Get a grip. No. FSU is better than us. You can only get so much juice out of an Orange. having said that, if our kicker made a kick, we might have won that game. Him missing that kick, that was the coaches fault too?

Get a grip, lol. I think my posts have been pretty calm. Your the one acting like your blood pressure is creeping up.

That you and the Baber mafia should admit that he isn’t a god and is a piss poor game coach. I hope he improves. Cause talent be dammed we won’t get better unless he does.
lol I'm in the Babers mafia? lol That is too funny. I have had my battles with that group. Try again. I do think he is a good coach that is the right guy for the job. you must have missed my railing about the onsides kicks in real time. you must have missed my outrage over not taking the FG at the goal line in real time. Pay better attention.

We averaged 46,000 a game in 1997. That's pretty good when your max is 49k.

Or just a winning season. Not asking for much here when you should have 4 built in wins in the non-conf and only need 2 more just to get bowl eligible.

46,000 isn’t really all that good when you’ve had 10 straight winning seasons and have a Fiesta Bowl team. Should’ve been 49,000 and impossible to get a ticket if it was a real college football town.

We had winning seasons in 2010, 2012, and 2013 and attendance still sucked other than a couple games. We didn’t score enough points and punted too much. Gotta go 11-1 and score 50+ a game and have all the big mouth dorks whose football experience was getting tossed around as a backup left guard at Carthage in ‘93 agree with all the play calls to get everyone on board.

We don’t have 4 built in wins OOC, we play tough schedules and we play in a brutal division where there’s not one pushover this year.

Get a grip, lol. I think my posts have been pretty calm. Your the one acting like your blood pressure is creeping up.
It actually is after reading some of the moronic things I have read here. And starting in a couple of days, I can look forward to the same crap on the hoops board.

Any time we lose, you lose your mind. Enough. Do yourself a favor (and the rest of us) and get off the internet.

I don't lose my mind every time we lose, today was a brutal loss.

Who was talking to you? I asked a question of someone responding to me. You can't answer for him. Not to mention that I am not the least interested in what you think or believe.
Yet you found it necessary to respond to me.

Just wondering out loud here. Curious to see.
I'm wondering if the majority of the people who are hopeful that Dino is the man to turn this around, are over the age of 36, and if the majority of the ones who have given up on Dino, or think we are not improving are under 36. I'm wondering if the ones who grew up in the era of instant gratification, just can't stomach the fact that a college football team, almost without exception, requires 3-4 years to turn around, while the older fans, 36 and over, have more patience.
I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if there is any truth to it. I know that myself (40), and my closest friends at work, who are also over 35, feel very hopeful, while the guys I work with in their 20's want Dino fired, because he isn't winning at least 8 games, and scoring 40 + a game in year 2.

I'm wondering if the majority of the people who are hopeful that Dino is the man to turn this around, are over the age of 35, and if the majority of the ones who have given up on Dino, or think we are not improving are under 37. I'm wondering if the ones who grew up in the era of instant gratification, just can't stomach the fact that a college football team, almost without exception, requires 3-4 years to turn around, while the older fans, 36 and over, have more patience.
I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if there is any truth to it. I know that myself (40), and my closest friends at work, who are also over 35, feel very hopeful, while the guys I work with in their 20's want Dino fired, because he isn't winning at least 8 games, and scoring 40 + a game in year 2.
Bingo. I can guarantee you that is the case. I will also tell you that those under 35, expect things from others that they certainly don't expect from themselves.

Oh...getting beat by 35 points in the second half against Wake is a step in the right direction. We got our asses kicked, at home, in a must win. Must be a talent problem. Step forward. Definitely.
That's incredibly short sighted. Clemson also took a step back when they lost to Pitt. They also won a national title. You need to look at the year as a whole. The year, by the way isn't done yet.

I don't lose my mind every time we lose, today was a brutal loss.

No offense Brian, because we need more passionate fans, but yes you do. You're definitely one of our more emotional posters.

Dasher you know I love you man, but seriously there is no reason to get on people for being upset today.

No offense Brian, because we need more passionate fans, but yes you do. You're definitely one of our more emotional posters.

I was perfectly rational after the Miami game, was upset, but rational after last week, today was brutal to take.

It actually is after reading some of the moronic things I have read here. And starting in a couple of days, I can look forward to the same crap on the hoops board.

Yeah but don’t go off on me specifically because everyone else is being an idiot. I don’t think I’ve said anything that bad, I think I’ve been pretty diplomatic. Nothing I said I think is that inaccurate, maybe debateable but not like I’m trying to say we suck and need to fire the staff. First part of my post said the complete opposite. I want the staff here. I’m annoyed by some posters who can’t handle any criticism and act like we’re one of the best teams in the conference. Then when it’s obvious we’re not that good, all of a sudden the excuses are flying.

There’s nothing wrong with not being good, there’s nothing wrong with being honest about it, and nothing wrong with believing this staff will get us to where we want.

I'm wondering if the majority of the people who are hopeful that Dino is the man to turn this around, are over the age of 36, and if the majority of the ones who have given up on Dino, or think we are not improving are under 36. I'm wondering if the ones who grew up in the era of instant gratification, just can't stomach the fact that a college football team, almost without exception, requires 3-4 years to turn around, while the older fans, 36 and over, have more patience.
Really strange post, I’m not sure how to attach expectations or “fandom” to age

Yes and the but we beat Clemson so we must be good implies we are on Clemson level (lol).

Let's move on from that win. Hey guys, it's college football! Upsets can happen!

The second half of today was flat out awful. It was a setback. That's undeniable. However, it wasn't a step back. We are still trending forward, and that's not a straight line. There are days where we will overachieve (Clemson) and days where we will underachieve (H2 vs Wake and MTSU), but we're staying close in games that would have been blowouts in past years, and we're bringing in recruits. We haven't turned the corner yet, and we aren't through the door. But man, we are knocking on it, and that's a step in the right direction. The next step is turning some of those close losses into wins, and then getting more and more wins by greater amounts.

Are you being serious right now? How about we just stop sucking season in/season out and maybe, just maybe, go to a craptastic bowl more than once every few years.

Unless you're in the SEC, fans aren't showing up to watch a perpetually bad team.

I'm wondering if the majority of the people who are hopeful that Dino is the man to turn this around, are over the age of 35, and if the majority of the ones who have given up on Dino, or think we are not improving are under 37. I'm wondering if the ones who grew up in the era of instant gratification, just can't stomach the fact that a college football team, almost without exception, requires 3-4 years to turn around, while the older fans, 36 and over, have more patience.
I'm 28. Completely behind this staff though admittedly, ED is a big reason I get so excited to watch this team... Throwing Rex in on 4th down was concerning... Seemed like a completely emotional decision that would be made if the game thread was collectively coaching the game. I'm going to be very disappointed if we lose these next two games.

Are you being serious right now? How about we just stop sucking and maybe, just maybe go to a craptastic bowl more than once every few years.

Even when we were consistently good, it was kindve a bandwagon fanbase from week to week.

There’s never been enough dyed in the wool loyal Orange football fans. It is what it is. It’s not really in the culture and never has been despite the programs history of success.