We need to recruit PGs for 2016 | Syracusefan.com

We need to recruit PGs for 2016

Alsacs

Living Legend
I love the potential of Howard and I am still not giving up on Joseph yet but this program needs a PG badly.

It just showed today our offense looked like a cut with its head cut off out of syncs when Miami put ball pressure on our guards. G is a SG, Cooney is a SG. We need more play distrubtors. I get JB doesn't care about anyone's opinions but his own. However this going into the year hoping kids can play out of position and hold up is amazing.

I will be very disappointed if Joseph is on this team next year. I see no point in running off guys like BJ and Bus but keep around guys like Joseph and Chino.

OrlandoCuse said:
I will be very disappointed if Joseph is on this team next year. I see no point in running off guys like BJ and Bus but keep around guys like Joseph and Chino.

Chino would be an afterthought if Daigne was on this team

I love the potential of Howard and I am still not giving up on Joseph yet but this program needs a PG badly.

It just showed today our offense looked like a cut with its head cut off out of syncs when Miami put ball pressure on our guards. G is a SG, Cooney is a SG. We need more play distrubtors. I get JB doesn't care about anyone's opinions but his own. However this going into the year hoping kids can play out of position and hold up is amazing.

No PG is coming here when Battle is going to get the nod for PG.

No PG is coming here when Battle is going to get the nod for PG.
Is Battle a PG or a SG in the NBA? If he isn't a PG in the NBA then him being the PG next year is not the right call. If he can play the point then fine.

We need a play distributor badly.

Is Battle a PG or a SG in the NBA? If he isn't a PG in the NBA then him being the PG next year is not the right call. If he can play the point then fine.

He's a "scoring" guard, imo. Not a traditional PG. I believe he wants to play PG to attempt to make himself more appealing to the NBA.

Like you, I think we need a true PG.

Howard will be fine next year imo. Hes tall will rebound. Hes a quarter step slower then the competition right now compared to malachi and Lydon, but that will fix itself in the offseason imo.

If there is anything I want its a one on one scorer with the last ship, and that is doubtful from any freshmen, and most doubtful from a freshmen at the point position. Its the toughest position for freshmen to play and score from.

Malachi leaves and we might not even be ranked next year no matter how good our defense is. That is how badly we need another one on one scorer. And today is a perfect example of why. Without Malachi shooting that way today, and they were off the dribble we are down 10 all game, and next years defense would not have made up for it as miami had a poor offensive game as it was. I think he had something like 17 of our 45 points at one point.

If you still don't believe that
Outside Malachi Richardson 8-41 on field goal attempts that is 19% from the floor. With nobdoy making more then 2 baskets malachi had 7. More then cooney gbinije and kaleb and lydon combined.

If you want to run a NBA like basketball system, then you need to have the nba like scorers.

Last edited:
I want Battle & Mal starting up top next year

that said, I'd also love a 5th year transfer real pg

oh yeah, we also need 2 more bigs if DC2 goes, maybe 2 if he doesnt

In my opinion, Malachi is not the type of player you can play in the backcourt next to a "combo guard". His ball-handling and playmaking skills for others aren't good enough, and when you've got a "combo guard"(read: a 2 guard who can handle the ball and pass pretty good) playing point guard that doesn't work.

I think Malachi could be a good 2 guard playing alongside a pure point guard that does almost 100% of the ball-handling and playmaking like a Sherman Douglas, Tyler Ennis, Jonny Flynn, Z Sims, etc.

Malachis turnovers come more off passing then off the dribble. Today he lost a few because the pass came right before the double got there and he put the ball on the deck instead of passing it back, or using his body to shield the double when it was flying at him at full speed. Either Wait to the double gets set, or dribble through it before it does, he did the later at just the wrong moment, and it bit him. You gotta be to early or to late against a double. Freshmen mistake but sample size.

I actually can see some point forward skills in him at this level of ball, because he is that kind of scorer.

Gbinije has been more like MCW kindof the last two. Hes taking the ball inside and finishing strongly but stopped doing so in the second half. Made a big difference against Pitt and and today. Hes going to put the outside shooting with it just a matter of time.

Last edited:

So it's bad to run off players in one year but not another?

Howard will be fine next year imo. Hes tall will rebound. Hes a quarter step slower then the competition right now compared to malachi and Lydon, but that will fix itself in the offseason imo.

If there is anything I want its a one on one scorer with the last ship, and that is doubtful from any freshmen, and most doubtful from a freshmen at the point position. Its the toughest position for freshmen to play and score from.

Malachi leaves and we might not even be ranked next year no matter how good our defense is. That is how badly we need another one on one scorer. And today is a perfect example of why. Without Malachi shooting that way today, and they were off the dribble we are down 10 all game, and next years defense would not have made up for it as miami had a poor offensive game as it was. I think he had something like 17 of our 45 points at one point.

Outside Malachi Richardson 8-41 on field goal attempts that is 19% from the floor. With nobdoy making more then 2 baskets malachi had 7. More then cooney gbinije and kaleb and lydon combined.

If you want to run a NBA like basketball system, then you need to have the nba like scorers.

Malachi isn't going anywhere. He is nowhere near ready to play in the NBA as a 2 guard. Yes, he played well today. He'd be one of those guys that if he declares would be a life D leaguer, but if he stays, works on his handle, consistency and getting stronger getting to the rim, he would be well served.

Where is this Malachi leaving stuff coming from? I mean he's ranked below Lydon in the 2017 draft in most mocks. He's not leaving this year shooting sub 38 percent overall and sub 30 percent from three. Let's be realistic here.

I want Battle & Mal starting up top next year

that said, I'd also love a 5th year transfer real pg

oh yeah, we also need 2 more bigs if DC2 goes, maybe 2 if he doesnt

Also, better looking cheerleaders and new instruments for the band. Just trying to add my two cents.

Right now, Battle is a SG. I fully expect him running the point next year to look an awful lot like G trying to run the point this season. Battle's nickname is Kid Mamba, for goodness sake. Take a wild guess who he models his game after. He's going to be a tremendous player, but a pure point guard he is not.

Right now, Battle is a SG. I fully expect him running the point next year to look an awful lot like G trying to run the point this season. Battle's nickname is Kid Mamba, for goodness sake. Take a wild guess who he models his game after. He's going to be a tremendous player, but a pure point guard he is not.

Agree 100%.

Malachi isn't going anywhere. He is nowhere near ready to play in the NBA as a 2 guard. Yes, he played well today. He'd be one of those guys that if he declares would be a life D leaguer, but if he stays, works on his handle, consistency and getting stronger getting to the rim, he would be well served.
Not going anywhere? "Nowhere near ready"? What's that got to do with anything? Tyler Ennis still isn't ready for the NBA and he's a millionaire. Chris McCullough didn't score over 7 pts in any of his last 8 games. Also another millionaire.

Timing has nothing to do with it.
You give someone a scholarship which has conditions. So long as those conditions are met no kid should be run off. Last year felt like a Calhoun thing. It shouldn't happen. You mention timing has nothing to do with it but you also mentioning jettisoning 4 guys in two years who lived up, so far as we know, to their end of the deal, seems like timing has a lot to do with it- as soon as you feel they are good enough it is time to get them out. The fact that they may not be good enough is not their fault. I feel for Kaleb- all reports indicate he's worked really hard yet many here don't care. If he's not an Ennis then he should be dumped. Not right.

Not going anywhere? "Nowhere near ready"? What's that got to do with anything? Tyler Ennis still isn't ready for the NBA and he's a millionaire. Chris McCullough didn't score over 7 pts in any of his last 8 games. Also another millionaire.
McCullough was a projected lotto pick before setting foot on campus and still was picked in the late 1st despite the ACL injury. Ennis had an incredible year and showed people what he can do. Unless Mali has a Ennis-type season going forward, he's not leaving. Ennis was a sure fire 1st round pick when he declared, short of Mali averaging like 18ppg and shooting over 50% from the field the rest of the way he wouldn't sniff the 1st round this year

I know Battle is going to be great, but I really hope Howard is the pg next year.

In my opinion, Malachi is not the type of player you can play in the backcourt next to a "combo guard". His ball-handling and playmaking skills for others aren't good enough, and when you've got a "combo guard"(read: a 2 guard who can handle the ball and pass pretty good) playing point guard that doesn't work.

I think Malachi could be a good 2 guard playing alongside a pure point guard that does almost 100% of the ball-handling and playmaking like a Sherman Douglas, Tyler Ennis, Jonny Flynn, Z Sims, etc.

Concur $1000%!

We will obviously see where Mali is next year, but at the moment he doesn't seem to be ideally suited for a shooting guard - if his backcourt mate is going to be another hybrid.

Concur $1000%!

We will obviously see where Mali is next year, but at the moment he doesn't seem to be ideally suited for a shooting guard - if his backcourt mate is going to be another hybrid.
We're in this predicament because JB doesn't recruit many of the available PG prospects - simply because they're not long enough. Another example of zone being prioritized above everything else.

We have a built-in knock against us for kids staying instead of declaring: the zone.

If a kid gets any interest from an NBA team, he has to evaluate playing another year of zone versus getting into an NBA practice/training regimen.

For guys like Lydon and Mal, being able to defend the wing is very important.

I agree we need a true PG. I think Frank Howard needs to be given the chance to grow into a starting-calibre PG.

I just don't think it's going to happen. G is our PG this year. Battle next year.