"we play no other defense" | Syracusefan.com

"we play no other defense"

Clemson shot the three ball from teh same two corners up top all game, finished from the fouline on a few big plays and hit the offensive boards, they played a good game sometimes you have to outscore your opponent in a high scoring game, and 66 isn't all that high scoring.

I don't think the problem was with the defense that much...just the defensive rebounding. We allowed them too many second and third chances.

tbonezone said:
JB says it in his post presser like it's a strength. even after this beatdown. i 'd say it's our weakness.

Wide open three point shots

We didn't get any
They got a bunch and made some

(There were other factors like rebounding)

Going to enjoy the season

rebounding has always been a problem with playing zone. Can't argue with the success JB has had playing only zone the last 6 years but I would like to see us mixed up the defenses more.

JB says it in his post presser like it's a strength. even after this beatdown. i 'd say it's our weakness.

SU is a 100% zone team and will stay a 100% zone team even after JB leaves given the current coaching succession plan.

Read Boeheim's book. He explains why in detail.

The zone defense is not the reason we scored less than 20 pt in the first half.

The zone isn't the problem. It's execution was. We didn't box out well in first half at all. The second half was much better in that regard, but we didn't close out on shooters hard for a portion of the game and they made 4 of their 3s with no attempt to get a hand up for a close out.

They still only made 7 3s, we have survived significantly more makes than that in the past. But when your opponent has a 7 minute scoring drought, and you can only cut the lead by 6 points when you are down 20 that's not going to cut it.

Our problem was offensive today not defensive. How many FTs did they make to close us out? Had to be at least 8 in the final 2 minutes, and probably more than that.

That's partly a product of the zone though.

Rebounding isn't rocket science, If it was, Dennis Rodman wouldn't have been so good at it. It's all about body positioning and finding an opponent to box out. We have been poor at this for way too long. It's past time to hire a rebound guru, as we have been out rebounded consistently for years now.

And a produxt of mccullough being our. He also led our team in blocks and steals
correction: we were still waiting for mccullough to play bad " cuz that's an improvement "...

agreed. but i watch a lot of college hoops and see most of the top programs able to switch it up when need arises. we can't.

We can. But we don't. We don't because JB believes that "committing 100%" to the zone is the key to playing it better than anyone else.

And because SU plays one defense, that's all they have to practice. It conserves player energy and better keeps floor balance.

If you love Man2 Man teams, there are a lot to choose from.

"The zone isn't the problem."
i agree . the inability to never switch out of it is the problem.
let's take a minute to tick off the all the teams that have won NC'S playing only zone...

Guess how many m2m teams have lost? All the rest. :p

"The zone isn't the problem."
i agree . the inability to never switch out of it is the problem.
let's take a minute to tick off the all the teams that have won NC'S playing only zone...

You say that because you don't understand JB's coaching philosophy.

Read the book.

We have ZERO bench, and we need to be playing man or pressing? Think before you post man.. Our sophomore class is gonna be the death of us. Buss, BJ and Chino are giving us ZERO production it's that simple.

please. the bench doesn't even enter into this equation. boeheim gloated today he hasn't played man since '87.

we allow teams to bring the ball up with ZERO pressure - even when up 2 or 1000 with few min to go and they roll the ball up to save time.

we used to press often - whether we needed to or just to stomp on the throat.

we used to trap often - either the PG at the top or anyone in the corners. Seriously, when was the last time we had a good trap? Onuaku years?

We used to play man2man at times... never anymore.

my issues is not with the 2-3... it is with the sitting in the 2-3, no matter what is happening in front of you. Its like a Duke team living and dying by the 3. They are almost always going to die by the 3 at some point... but when we live and die by the 2-3... we have opportunities to realize that we can die from it and we can adjust - but we decide not to!

please. the bench doesn't even enter into this equation. boeheim gloated today he hasn't played man since '87.

according to sources, we didnt start the 2-3 exclusive until 1996.

I thought it was longer ago than that... but it has been written about a lot that we started in 96. and i was too young to remember pre 96.

Rebounding isn't rocket science, If it was, Dennis Rodman wouldn't have been so good at it. It's all about body positioning and finding an opponent to box out. We have been poor at this for way too long. It's past time to hire a rebound guru, as we have been out rebounded consistently for years now.

What would have happened to SU chances of winning that game or any future game should Christmas foul out?

What do you think JB's instructions were to Christmas about fouling?

If Christmas had gotten into early foul trouble or had fouled out early, SU might not have scored 30 pts in that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom