We will be fine but we are losing much more than most think | Syracusefan.com

We will be fine but we are losing much more than most think

Tony DeFranco

2nd String
What was our game this year? Transition - we were the best in the country at this - we lost the three players that made this happen - I've seen MCW and I'm hoping for the best but he has shown none of us anything that he is a gonna be Jason Kidd on the fast break

What was our second best weapon? defense - praying we get Nerlens which would replace Fab and Rak getting better would make us something like Duncan and Robinson (hoping) but Dion was out best defender by far after Fab

So we r gonna have to return to a more half court offense and hope we have excellent shooting in MCW, Triche, Cooney and Southerland which is possible and pray we get Nerlens and we can really d it up but I loved the transition game we had this year and that's long gone

Yes -- I agree. Amazing that ,many people believe Melo, Kris, Dion & Scoop can be so easily replaced by guys who have yet to prove anything. Our margin of victory in January & February was thin. A team can be almost as good, and still fall from double bye excellence to 9-9 in the Big East (ask UConn & Pitt fans about what they penciled in for this season).

Dion, Scoop & Kris were money in transition. Great in finishing, real good in attacking with the break. The same three were usually the ones who closed out games (we didn't lose a single game when we had a lead with 8 minutes to go).

Where do we gain? Cooney is a better jump shooter (in practice!) but needs to prove he can get his shot against tough defenders as Dion usually could. DC2 might provide scoring from the post. Better rebounding is possible as Rak, Keita & DC2 develop --and Fair likely adds some strength.

we'll still be able to run the transition out of the zone. with or without NN i still think this is a preseason 5 or 6 type squad. The key to next year and why i feel SU can be better is MCW, i feel his upside after playing a whole season next year is tremendous. By the end of the year, he can be a legit top 3 pg in the country. We just may take a few losses earlier in the season due to our inexperience but as the last 2 years have shown anyone can win

Potential wise, next years team is light years ahead of this past years team.

Honestly, Fab and KJo will be easily replaced and upgraded if we get NN. I have immense faith that James and CJ and the small forward slot will be as good or better than KJo was this past year. They are better defenders and better rebounders and both can score, James with his shooting and CJ with his midrange/around the bucket game.

As is the frontline of JS/CJ Rak DC2/Keita has the potential to be as good as our frontline was with Fab. A 2nd year Rak. JS/CJ stepping up into more prominent roles after both had big games in the NCAA Tournament. Keita is a solid backup who played well late and DC2 is the first player since AO that we can post up and get a bucket. MCW will see to it that some entry passes go DC2's way. If we get NN, our frontline is the best in the country and one of the best in recent college basketball history.

MCW oozes talent but is unproven. Defensively he will wreak havoc up top. Scoop was really good late in the tourney. MCW will be more of a facilitator.

Triche showed what hes capable of in the OSU game. This is the one position we clearly downgrade. Triche might be very good next year, possibly warranting the Wooden award mention he got this past pre-season. However, Dion is the best guard weve had since Flynn left as a lottery pick, and Dion is better than Flynn. Towards the end of the year college basketball analysts referred to him as THE best guard in the country. Still Triche along with Cooney will provide some serious 3 point shooting.

Biggest loss is penetration. KJo/Dion/Scoop could break down defenses off the dribble. I dont know if MCW can do that, Triche can somewhat and I have no idea what to expect from Cooney in this area. Luckily our primary offense is high screen and roll/pick and pop so this should help with a team oozing talent but lacking blow by speed.

Overall, this past years team was great. Championship worthy with Fab. Next years team, as crazy as it sounds can and I think will be better. If we add Noel, I wouldnt question anyone who buys Final 4 tickets the day he signs his LOI.

If we don't get Nerlen then the one aspect of Fab's game that the centers will have to work on is looking for and completing the outlet pass for the fast break. I think we still have players who can make this an effective weapon for us and now (I hope) we have a Jimmy Lee type guard in Cooney who can stop and pop on the break.

What was our game this year? Transition - we were the best in the country at this - we lost the three players that made this happen - I've seen MCW and I'm hoping for the best but he has shown none of us anything that he is a gonna be Jason Kidd on the fast break

I've highlighted the 2 words that are most irrelevant when discussing next years potential. Obviously nobody knows for sure, but a good assumption can usually be made based on potential, past performance, and other information.

That being said, you need to not be so one-sided or tunnel visioned. Yes, perhaps we won't be as lethal in transition next year. But as of now, it's looking like we'll have a much more reliable inside scoring threat (crossing fingers), with the Great White Hype giving us an outside threat we lacked this year (that one was for you, Marsh ;) ). That's not including the possibility of a new dominating defensive presence (doubly crossing fingers), which will help the transition game.

Yes I realize transition points are key, and are a fundamental benefit of zone defense, but I have faith that Boeheim and the staff will maximize what they can get out of what they have.

Bottom line, we could very well be making up for the things we are losing, and then some. But nobody knows for sure until next year. I'm going to stay optimistic and say that while we may play a different type of game, we could be damn near as good, if not better. Most likely not better from a record standpoing, but at least from a talent standpoint.

Time will tell.

Try this out.
In a challenge game, I will take Fab, Kris, Scoop & Dion plus 1 forward.

The opponent: DC2/Keita, Rak, James or CJ, BT and MCW with Cooney as a spare.

The forwards (CJ and James) can be lined-up either way. Take your pick at that forward spot, and I will take the one you don't want.

My veteran group wins by 20 points -- true now, true next year after the new group has a year to develop.

This years team had to excel in transition because they did not have a legitimate post presence to run a half court offense through. Personally I feel that the combo of guys that will be playing down low next year will be much better at that aspect. That then opens up chances for kick outs to open shooters. You have only seen small glimpses of what MCW can do with the ball. I watched him in high school get the ball into the lane at will and either finish ( he has a great running floater ala Sherman) or pass it to open teammates. I know that was high school but it was against good competition in the New England Private School league. I think it is going to be a fun team to watch. LGO!

True now, yes. True next year after a year to develop, how can you possibly know that?

All I know is that the 11/12 team had an incredible year and players will be missed and certain aspects of their game will also hurt not having but like all things there will be a plus minus and next years team is going to have to make a lot of plays to win games like this past one did and it should be exciting to see if they do or which players step up and make the plays needed to win.

Scoops leadership will be missed and when things fail or break down who will be the leader on this team? You don't have to be a rah rah guy or a get in your teammates face guy to lead and from what I saw of Triche I like the fact that he at times sat at some odd times and didn't complain. I hope that trend continues and the players accept Boeheims call regarding who's playing and who isn't, especially at crunch time. A lack of playing time and a few losses really has a way to blister and if I see this team stick together through thick and thin, I like how our chances for the NCAA's. I know they have the talent to compete so that's not the issue.

There is no doubt that we are losing major components of this team and huge contributors to our success. Gone are our team leaders, our intimidating anchor of the zone and our most dynamic player/best 6th man in the nation.
The optimism that I share with so many fans is born from the amazing talent that we add and return.
The big questions, as I see them, are 1) Is Triche ready to be a vocal leader, on and off the court? 2) Can Keita and Coleman protect the paint? 3) Will Christmas be ready to take the next step on both ends?
I’m not sure it’s in Triche’s nature to readily accept the leadership role. Luckily, MCW fits the profile perfectly. Between the 2 of them I think we’ll have a great combination of energy, determination and composure.
I expect a much stronger and improved Keita. A lot of people are looking to someone else to step into Melo’s shoes and I don’t know that he can truly be replaced but I think BK will be much strong and ready to be the man.
Christmas will return to the PF and I hope he and the coaches get him prepared. He has all the talent and athleticism he will ever need. Now it’s just a matter of recognition, timing and confidence.
Next year’s team is not likely to have as much transition game as this year’s but I strongly believe that we become a much better rebounding team in compensation. We don't appear to have the same talent to break down defenses and get to the rim but we will be an improved shooting team.
As hard as it is to replace what we are losing, I think this team has the ability to go even further and achieve even more in 2012-2013.

Great halfcourt offense is better then great transition basketball.
Im stoked about our halfcourt offense it could be easily, noticably, better then this years. Especially when we were lacking Fab in the low post.

Agree though...
Scoop Dion and KJO were so good at forcing the defender to take a extra step in transition.
Brandon not so much. I hope MCW can figure that out.

I never felt Scoop and KJO brought alot of offensive consistancy to ride outside of a few games a year. This team only had Waiters to ride and even he slumped. The 09-10 team had Wes, Andy and AO to ride.

I could see Southerland, Triche, CJ, DC, and Cooney(with his shot) all having a good shot at developing into the type of player that we can ride for stretches. All the above and MCW may be ready physically, with skillsets and/or the experience to do so. And thats not even counting Noel.

Im not talking about 6th men to hit a few shots off the bench I am talking about guys who you ride and are capable of putting up or creating a quick 8-10 points in 3-5 minutes. And capable of doing it again later in the game.

When we add the pass/shot ability of MCW with that thought we can be downright scary.

Defensively we have the guard who can extend in MCW, The rebounding, shot blocking, The scrappyness and some weight in the paint. Very excited indeed! :D

True now, yes. True next year after a year to develop, how can you possibly know that?
Well, of course, we can't know, but we can trust our eyes (except I admit I haven't seen DC2 except in highlights). I seriously doubt whether any of the replacements will be first round draft choices in 2013, whereas the current team has two. We know what BT can do; we have seen that Keita and Rak are raw on offense. Fab would dominate the centers; the young guards could not stop Dion and Scoop from getting to the basket.
Ultimately, my point is that Fab, Kris, Dion & Scoop proved it on the court. The predictions about next season are Orange-colored optimism.

Let's face it, our half court offense flat out stagnated at times this year.

Next year, as has been said, we'll have improved outside shooting, and an improved inside game.

The transition O can be taken away, but a steady half court game will always be there.

Offensively we will be better next year.

Defensively we will probably be a little worse, but we can afford that.

I think its the complete opposite. Next year our ceiling is higher.

MCW has the potential to be better than scoop
Southerland has the potential to be better then Kris
Nerlens/RAK better then fab
cooney has a different game but i think he can nail shots like dion

cooney has a different game but i think he can nail shots like dion

Not sure what part of the court you're talking about, but let me put this in a way the board can relate to:

Cooney's shot:

jennifer-love-hewitt.jpg

Dion's shot:

jennifer.jpg

Nerlens/RAK better then fab

I have to point out that Rak will be moving back to the PF position and Noel has not committed to play at SU. So, although I share your enthusiasm for our team next year, this statement has no bearing.

Does Fab even count??? He was ineligible. I think anyone with more experience is an upgrade over that. RAK/Keita...Coleman...maybe nerlens

I have to point out that Rak will be moving back to the PF position and Noel has not committed to play at SU. So, although I share your enthusiasm for our team next year, this statement has no bearing.

Transition points r huge - they r free points - we also have no one that can break down a defense or get to the rim - these r gonna be problems - can people please stop talking about Cooney cuz no one has any clue - and the same basically goes for MCW - I've seen him with ball and every time he dribbles I just think a wolf like Dion is gonna rough him up and take the ball - Southerland and Fair r free lance players right now - what is this inside out game I'm hearing of - Keita and Rak can score when scoop gets them a bucket - we need Nerlens and we need MCW to toughen up - we will be ok - let's pray for Nerlens

Transition points r huge - they r free points - we also have no one that can break down a defense or get to the rim - these r gonna be problems - can people please stop talking about Cooney cuz no one has any clue - and the same basically goes for MCW - I've seen him with ball and every time he dribbles I just think a wolf like Dion is gonna rough him up and take the ball - Southerland and Fair r free lance players right now - what is this inside out game I'm hearing of - Keita and Rak can score when scoop gets them a bucket - we need Nerlens and we need MCW to toughen up - we will be ok - let's pray for Nerlens

The thing is we don't really need Noel. Would be nice but as far as transition goes DC2 is the only player next year that may struggle being bigger. Depends on his conditioning.

MCW, Triche, Cooney (presumably), CJ, JS, Rak, BMK can all run and attack the rim. The first 5 can also shoot from 3 or pull up from 10-15. Defense and rebounding will fuel these fast breaks and that is more of a ? than if we can run transition IMO. Offense and running the point was not MCW's weakness, he was just a bit lost in the zone. If we didn't have Scoop, BT, and Dion at guard then MCW would've played much more and Cooney likely wouldn't have redshirted.

biggest myth about this years team is KJo's driving/slashing ability

I think people we're still envisioning his 2009 season when he would drive against the 4th or 5th best opposing defender who was also trying to rotate and cover Wes, Rautins, or AO in the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom