Wednesday Departure Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Departure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q is already gone

That's what I thought, but since you didn't list him above I wondered if that implied something had changed.

We can essentially sell 34mpg and 15 shots per game at the 1 position. We don’t really even have a backup right now - Starling and Cuffe don’t really facilitate for others.

Rolling out the “Red” carpet for Reynolds?

The portal is open for 45 days. Why does everyone think everything has to happen the first couple days? Some players may still be thinking things over with parents and not wanting to rush into a decision. Some players may have an interest in a couple schools but those schools are still playing. Some players may be negotiating NIL here. There is no rush. Only about 1/3 of the number of players expected to hit the portal have done so. Although I’d expect those still playing not to do anything till seasons end.

Last year, Girard entered the portal 11 days after it opened and Edwards 28 days after.
The portal shouldn’t even open until the postseason is over.

So Freeman, Maliq, Bell at F then Westry as the hybrid with Portal, JJ, Moore, and Cuffe at G. Portal 5, McLeod, Maliq and Patterson at the 5.

If we go all in$$ to get a high level PG and big then that can work still but there is a gamble in there too. Hopefully you have a legit 10 guys you can roll with every night or a 9.5 at least.
Which may be the future, running a complex system may be out of date these days. Get all the legs you can get running.

Good for Gerry. He wants to be a head coach and that can be a great starting job.
I would root so hard for Gerry at Siena. The guy bleeds orange, and deserves the shot to show what he can do as the head guy.

Will be absolutely fascinating to see how Red replaces him. I don’t see Red promoting Griff to replace Gerry.

I wonder if Gerry would bring Justin Taylor with him.

The portal is open for 45 days. Why does everyone think everything has to happen the first couple days? Some players may still be thinking things over with parents and not wanting to rush into a decision. Some players may have an interest in a couple schools but those schools are still playing. Some players may be negotiating NIL here. There is no rush. Only about 1/3 of the number of players expected to hit the portal have done so. Although I’d expect those still playing not to do anything till seasons end.

Last year, Girard entered the portal 11 days after it opened and Edwards 28 days after.
Because the insiders said it was going to happen that way? Were there not multiple posts claiming "fans would get it" come Monday on why they denied the NIT bid?

Departure Thread Rules:

Rule # 1: Don't talk about other day's departures in the wrong day thread

Rule # 2: Departures don't have to be players, they can also be coaches

Rule # 3: Don't be disparaging (except re: rule # 4) or be depressing and use levity in your posts

Rule # 4: Georgetown still SUCKS

Because the insiders said it was going to happen that way? Were there not multiple posts claiming "fans would get it" come Monday on why they denied the NIT bid?

I don’t remember anyone saying that every player going into the portal would announce the first couple days. And just Q and Taylor was enough to say no NIT.

We can essentially sell 34mpg and 15 shots per game at the 1 position. We don’t really even have a backup right now - Starling and Cuffe don’t really facilitate for others.

Rolling out the “Red” carpet for Reynolds?
prevailing thought is Westry will get some run at the 1, yeah?

I don’t remember anyone saying that every player going into the portal would announce the first couple days. And just Q and Taylor was enough to say we get no NIT.

With all the rumors and leaks, I think many were expecting we'd have some lock-and-loads ready to go...

We did with Q and Taylor obviously, but I think a lot were also expecting Judah to announce day one, as well...

prevailing thought is Westry will get some run at the 1, yeah?
I doubt it with Moore and who knows, maybe a second portal guard, JJ can’t play 30.

With all the rumors and leaks, I think many were expecting we had some lock-and-loads ready to go... we did with Q and Taylor obviously, but I think a lot were also expecting Judah to announce day one, as well...
Regardless if Judah has announced or not I doubt he would have played. He’s making a strategic decision what to do next.

I had heard a few weeks ago (on this board and elsewhere) that Will Brown might be a player. He was a miracle worker for the Saint Rose women's team this past year. I work there (no recent inside info though on WB), and the situation he navigated to turn that team around in the face of closure was extraordinary. I have worked with several of the players and the situation this year was extremely difficult.

So, per Jake's post we are scouring the portal for a big and a PG.

With the likely departures, it seems like we need a couple bigs. At least 1 starting caliber center, and perhaps a 3-4 combo type player (that can rebound and play D)

Hopefully, our PG is a locked in starting caliber scoring PG.

Some interesting options next year, but still seems like there are gaps to fill. Thin at PG & 3. Overloaded at the 2. Lacking a true center unless we hit a homerun in the portal.

What if Naheem returns healthy? Does Brown come off the bench for Freeman, or vice versa?
JJ or portal PG?(Westry, Moore, or JJ)Bell or Westry (if healthy)Donnie FreemanMaliq Brown
Portal?
Naheem?

Last edited:
My latest is there will likely be three more departures.

Hima Carey and Judah.

I believe everyone else will be back.

We’re looking in the portal for a PG and a big.

So we are good on forwards, but the question remains... if we're in the market for a 'big', who is starting at the 3-4-5? And who isn't?

So, per Jake's post we are scouring the portal for a big and a PG.

With the likely departures, it seems like we need a couple bigs. At least 1 starting caliber center, and perhaps a 3-4 combo type player (that can rebound and play D)

Hopefully, our PG is a locked in starting caliber scoring PG.

Some interesting options next year, but still seems like there are gaps to fill. Thin at PG & 3. Overloaded at the 2. Lacking a true center unless we hit a homerun in the portal.

What if Naheem returns healthy? Does Brown come off the bench for Freeman, or vice versa?
JJ or portal PG?(Westry, Moore, or JJ)Bell or Westry (if healthy)Donnie FreemanMaliq Brown
Portal?
Naheem?
If it were a perfect world... IMO... best scenario is:

1 - Portal
2 - JJ
3 - Freeman
4 - Brown
5 - Portal

6 - Bell
7 - Westry
8 - McLeod
9 - Moore
10 - Cuffe

Would love to have another forward that can be a Kris Joseph type, but I think they're hoping Bell can develop his game a little bit more. Hope he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom