Week 1 Depth Chart for Liberty | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Week 1 Depth Chart for Liberty

People need to remember Moe was easily a 1000 yard rusher last year had we not had such a knowledgeable/dependable senior back in Strick and a bowling ball in Howard.

Moe and Adams are each studs. Havent been this excited about a backfield since PTG/Jerome/AAM
PTG/Jerome/AAM were productive, but in terms of talent, I think this group blows their doors off.

No way Bergeron will play unless the line is wrecked by injuries. Have to assume the staff is going with 7 guys in rotation, plugging and filling as need be.

Also, Vettorello is class of 18.
My bad

Redshirt Freshman and Sophomore on the right side of the OL is going to be interesting. If they start the entire season we are in great shape for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Crazy how loaded at W/R ... thought we may see Queeley on there considering the hype during some scrimmages and what not. No RTB either still. Guess this is a great problem to have..

Mikel Jones on there as well. Got a real good feeling that dude is the real deal

Also remember just because a player is starting doesn't mean that a number of positions won't be rotated frequently. I think Howard will see touches, I think the oline will rotate, as will receivers and cornerbacks. I love Bergeron on the 2 deep. Starting is nothing more than a bragging right but functionally the staff I think will sub frequently.

I am friggin pumped.

It's not shocking to see Courtney Jackson crack the 2-deep. The kid was the MVP of the spring game IMHO. I watched him in person find pockets all over the field. He's fluid, quick and has good hands.

I like the OL 5. I expect to see this change a few times, but Vetty is going to surprise some people. Kid is a mauler. Servais losing that weight makes sense in hindsight. He's protecting Tommy's blindside.

Also, they're in a 4-2-5 base set, but with Trill's LB size at the nickel, they're basically in a fluid 4-3... I expect to see some sets with 6 DB's this year... Cordy and/or Scoop being the 6th. Mikel comes in as the 3rd LB in hammer sets.

Lastly, that secondary and DL is ridic. Everyone keeps talking about the offense, but the defense is going to be LEGIT this year. Cannot remember the last time we had so many playmakers on D. An actual NO FLY ZONE.

Oranges up...

Big thing out of Babers this morning on the ACCN show was he expects our D to carry the team for a few games.

Redshirt Freshman and Sophomore on the right side of the OL is going to be interesting. If they start the entire season we are in great shape for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

That's my worry particularly after seeing Miami's young line Saturday night.

PTG/Jerome/AAM were productive, but in terms of talent, I think this group blows their doors off.
Absolutely. I just cherish any players that embarrass the Mountaineers.

He'll be used in situational sets. Kid is a player and won't be kept off the field. He's a likely starter at DE next season with Kingsley.

Agree. He’s going to be on the field a lot. And be productive. He’s a hybrid with no real position to call home. But will be a key part of opponents’ game planning.

I suspect Alexander may see some time at Right Tackle especially if there are some early struggles but its certainly a good sign that a few young guys have won the position battles (at least I think it is). The better news is that all of the OL appear to be good to go for the first game health wise.

Alexander got here late, and Vettorello is better conditioned right now.

Both will play.

Agree. Could also see Servais slide back to C, Heckel to RG for Davis and Vetty and Alexander take the RT and LT spots, respectively.

Do we truly know how big of a gap it is? I know we've seen Tommy in games but none of us have seen Clay.
We’ve seen Rex too. If, to this point, rex and clayton have been neck and neck in camp then there’s a sizeable gap imo.

I think the 4-2-5 is trying to get the best defensive players on the field all at once. Really trust Trill to get into the mix coming downhill into the second level.

We’ve seen Rex too. If, to this point, rex and clayton have been neck and neck in camp then there’s a sizeable gap imo.
We haven't seen Rex play in two years. Did he not get better? There's obviously a gap between TD and the others but Im not so sure its as large as we think.

Last edited:
We haven't seen Rex play in two years. Did he not get better? There's obviously a gap between TD and the other but Im not so sure its as large as we think.
Im sure he did get better, and it should be mentioned the rest of the team in 2017 was not nearly as far along in Dino’s system as it is now. That being said I feel pretty comfortable saying that Tommy has potential to get us to a Big Bowl or “special” year vs. our backups where i’d assume the run game and defense would be carrying a much heavier load. Im not necessarily concerned about the QB position, i just wish there was a more clear cut #2. Welch may be that guy though idk. The team has a high ceiling that drops considerably if the OL doesnt come together or we have to make a change of plans at QB. But one of those two situations could be said for any team.

Last edited:
I think the 4-2-5 is trying to get the best defensive players on the field all at once. Really trust Trill to get into the mix coming downhill into the second level.
Both Trill and Evan have linebacker size and can shift down to the box when we want them to. Huge advantage to have 4 linebackers or 5 DBs within the same group of guys.

A little shocked that Cantin-Arku didnt make the 2 deep, though
Playing Canadian ball will take him getting used to our style and type. I’m sure our defense is way more complicated than his hs. I see him being a stud bye sophomore year