Well, it’s obvious that either Maliq or one of JT/Cope need to start | Syracusefan.com

Well, it’s obvious that either Maliq or one of JT/Cope need to start

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Benny or Bell has to benched. We can’t afford these starts to games. If you want to bring Brown off the bench to save some fouls, fine I get that. But Bell brings nothing to the table. Split those minutes with JT/Cope. Thoughts?

Benny or Bell has to benched. We can’t afford these starts to games. If you want to bring Brown off the bench to save some fouls, fine I get that. But Bell brings nothing to the table. Split those minutes with JT/Cope. Thoughts?
Brown should start over Williams, no question. There still isn’t enough separating the other three to warrant a change, as long as JB finds the right guy like he did today.

Taylor nor Copeland are ready to start especially the latter. They're both learning how to play at this level. Copeland played well in the bursts he was in, but he's the fourth best guard at the moment.

What does Copeland bring outside of some hustle plays? I like him long term but he doesn't look remotely like a starter. His next made jump shot wlll be his first this season.
per most analytic data, his defense is better than Benny and Bell.

his total rebound percentage is DOUBLE Bell’s.

obviously on offense he’s not ready and has his spaz out moments.

but to suggest he doesn’t bring anything is incorrect. i wouldn’t start him or even play him a bunch. but if bell isn’t making shots, I see no reason why he should play over cope

but to suggest he doesn’t bring anything is incorrect. i wouldn’t start him or even play him a bunch. but if bell isn’t making shots, I see no reason why he should play over cope

Also he's the only one of those 3 making that play on that kick out to Joe.

Today bell wasn’t even taking shots let alone making them

What does Copeland bring outside of some hustle plays? I like him long term but he doesn't look remotely like a starter. His next made jump shot wlll be his first this season.
He’s probably better than Bell at everything except shooting the 3.

Copeland did hit a 3 that he got fouled on against Pitt. Not sure he’s as bad as some think from out there. He’s certainly no Bell from the perimeter.

Well when the two starters don’t hustle at all it’s pretty important. He showed good vision, he can dribble better than Benny and Bell and he had more rebounds today than both combined have had in games.

I wrote this in the postgame thread:

Benny and our system is not a mix. It is in everyone's best interest if he moves on. It happens. Will he have success in another program? Who knows but it is clear after almost 2 years he will not have consistent success in this system. Cut losses on both sides and move on.

Well when the two starters don’t hustle at all it’s pretty important. He showed good vision, he can dribble better than Benny and Bell and he had more rebounds today than both combined have had in games.
He’s clearly “got that dog in him”. He competes and wants to win. You’ll know he’s out there.

At this stage in his career Copeland is a more athletic version of JBA. In a perfect world neither would ever see the court this year.

At this stage in his career Copeland is a more athletic version of JBA. In a perfect world neither would ever see the court this year.
This makes no sense, JBA does nothing, Copland can rebound, hustle, pass, dribble, and play the best defense in that corner we saw all game. Am I missing why he shouldn’t play? What doesn’t he do that Bell and Benny do other than score a few points here and there? I’d rather him score zero than Bell scoring 17 but giving up 30.

Forward rotation should be:
Brown - 40 minutes
Bell and Taylor 20 minutes

JBA or Copeland to play in case of emergency

This makes no sense, JBA does nothing, Copland can rebound, hustle, pass, dribble, and play the best defense in that corner we saw all game. Am I missing why he shouldn’t play? What doesn’t he do that Bell and Benny do other than score a few points here and there? I’d rather him score zero than Bell scoring 17 but giving up 30.

So he can hustle, rebound, play defense and pass that is exactly what the board was screaming JBA was doing for the team.

I wrote this in the postgame thread:

Benny and our system is not a mix. It is in everyone's best interest if he moves on. It happens. Will he have success in another program? Who knows but it is clear after almost 2 years he will not have consistent success in this system. Cut losses on both sides and move on.
See, I don't get this type of thinking. Benny has had some good outings this year and he is only a soph. He has actually developed since last year and developed in our system. JB himself has raved at times about Benny in practice, which indicates that Benny mixes well enough for him to do that. I totally get wanting Maliq to start and there is currently a strong case to be made for it. I would rather have depth at a position than boot one of the guys who can play it out the door. We have had enough seasons where we were doomed at a position if a starter couldn't go. So start one of them, give the minutes to the guy who deserves them the most, but keep both guys around for depth.

See, I don't get this type of thinking. Benny has had some good outings this year and he is only a soph. He has actually developed since last year and developed in our system. J

use to think like this but the games are just too far apart to bank on him for anything. It just isn't a good fit period. Coaches aren't getting the best out of him on a regular basis and/or Benny doesn't know how or is unwilling to give the coaches what they are looking for. It has been 2 years just move on.

Benny has to lose his bouncy, almost lazy-looking loping up and down the floor.
Move with purpose -kick that athleticism in gear with some bursts of speed.
Maliq is The Man, but not giving up on Benny-
Playing like the "cool kid" isn't going to work though.
Hope Benny watches Maliq when on the bench -can learn how to anticipate and position himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom