Well...that makes me feel better | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Well...that makes me feel better

Maybe situationally they could use Custis a TE to run the seam.

I don't think they were anywhere near as fast as they're going to get. I expect Babers to hit on that in the presser.

We Are Syracuse said:
He has to adjust with that. He has zero patience in the pocket. Takes off the second he feels uncomfortable and takes his eyes off down the field. Dungey might of had great stats and he did make some BEAUTIFUL deep throws but he seriously needs to improve his pocket awareness. You're going to take hits in the pocket. But if he wants this offense to truly be what it could, he has to be willing to get hit and make throws. His accuracy is very good I think. Arm power is mehhhh...

He's got a dead arm because of all the reps in camp. It'll get better...

I would have preferred if we had stuck with more quick outs in the second half to take some pressure off Dungey - really don't want to see him take hits in the pocket or scrambling out of the pocket.

I wouldn't close the book on Strickland just yet. I think he'll figure it out.
no one is closing the book on strickland. my concern is that ol cannot open holes. they need to figure that out. 4fg???? big issues with red zone(deja vu)not helped by the lack of run game

Offense put up some good numbers but I feel like it was only about 50% of what they are capable of.
I'm sure the staff dialed back play selection saving stuff for Louisville. We barely used the center of the field in the passing scheme last night.

Interior running game sucked.

Don't like how we used Strickland: he's not an inside runner.

Specials were outstanding outside of the running into the kicker.

Quiet game from Ishmael plus the personal foul, so bad night for him.

Wish we threw the ball down the middle more...need a tight end.

Slayton is a beast.

Cordy is excellent...imagine him at 6'0" tall.

Secondary is shaky...they missed a lot of open receivers.

Linebackers looked decent.
One thing that is being overlooked in my opinion is the performance of Sterling Hofrichter. 3 punts for 136 yards, that's good for an average of 45.3 yards a punt.

I love Strickland. We didn't use him correctly. He's better in the slot or at the very least should be running outside.

We used him correctly, he is not a XB or Hybrid any more but an RB in this system. We have 2 RB's that played in the slot, both Moe and Erv.

As Babers said in his presser, Colgate was determined to not let us run the ball so we passed for 450 instead.

Fine. Fredericks for that. Strickland for outside runs.
Tough to do that when there are options predicated on what the defense does. You can't have Dungey look at the defense and see the MLB is shaded over too far towards the TE, change the play to an inside run read and ask to sub in Fredericks because he is a better inside runner.

I thought it was amazing that all the outside throws and bubble screens worked in this offense and personnel where when we had McF***it's offense they didn't.

tipphill said:
no one is closing the book on strickland. my concern is that ol cannot open holes. they need to figure that out. 4fg???? big issues with red zone(deja vu)not helped by the lack of run game

Colgate stacked had 7 in the box all game. That's why we threw for 400.

Red zone O will get better. That's where we showed our inexperience with the system.

The inside runs are not traditional power running. This is not smashmouth football. When you see an inside run in this system its based on tactical advantage...light box and the defenders with outside responsibility stay put. If done correctly the back has already gained 4-5 yards and has a one on one match up with the MLB.

Yes, Emerich and Palmer got lit up on this last night. And the handful of times the back got his hips through the hole, their mike was right there and made the play.

blizz said:
The inside runs are not traditional power running. This is not smashmouth football. When you see an inside run in this system its based on tactical advantage...light box and the defenders with outside responsibility stay put. If done correctly the back has already gained 4-5 yards and has a one on one match up with the MLB. Yes, Emerich and Palmer got lit up on this last night. And the handful of times the back got his hips through the hole, their mike was right there and made the play.

Babers said after the game he purposefully ran into 7 man box because he didn't want to throw on every down - even though that's what he should have done.

I have zero worries about the running game.

Babers said after the game he purposefully ran into 7 man box because he didn't want to throw on every down - even though that's what he should have done.

I have zero worries about the running game.

Glad you guys feel this way; hope you're right.

iommi said:

Do you really think the run game will forever be lousy because of 7 or 8 carries in the first game of this system? I don't understand the overwrought handwringing.

iommi said:

I need to find the quote. But he said the reads were to pass every down if you're going by how his system works. He was being stubborn by running it at all due to the stacked box.

you have to work on the running game and it cant be all done in practice. few of use can tell if the running game wasnt working because of bad blocks, the wrong blocks, bad technique, bad scheme, or lack of talent. they have game film now and they wouldnt have that had they just passed all game long.

Biggest jump in this system is from game 1 to game 2, quote came directly from Babers.

What Dungey has, though, is something Nassib never really had, and that is great touch on his throws. He doesn't quite have McNabb kind of touch, but he's off to a great start. If he stays healthy, he is going to destroy all our records this year. Let alone what he does in the next couple years in this offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom