What’s the plan to replace Edwards and Girard? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What’s the plan to replace Edwards and Girard?

We are gonna hit the portal hard for a legit center. Go hard after a SF/PF wing player. I think we are able to convince Bethea to go 2023. I think Benny transfers after this season so I think next year is looking like:

PG-Mintz
SG-Taylor
SF-Bell
PF-Brown
C-Legit center Transfer (likely a junior to help balance classes)

Rotation:
Bethea-SG/PG
Copeland-PG/SG/SF
Transfer-SF/PF (likely a junior to help balance classes)
Hima-C
Carey-PF/C
Bethea!? Can he reclass?

I could definitely see him leaving -- in no way am I disputing that point. But on the other hand, he's having a much better year this year than last, so maybe him returning to continue to hone his NBA draft prospects might be alluring [he also might be having more fun, as a function of having more on-court success than last year].

Also, we'll be returning an experienced nucleus that could have a big jump next year in overall team performance [which might also be a compelling reason to return].
That and Mr. Weitsman could make it worth his while to stay. That's what my UNC friend told me happened with Bacot and why he returned. If he can a stronger core, so he doesn't get pushed around when making his offensive moves, he could be a monster and really lift his stock.

The problem is that Jesse is an international player and INELIGIBLE for NIL. Unless we go on an international trip this summer, that’s a big problem.

The problem is that Jesse is an international player and INELIGIBLE for NIL. Unless we go on an international trip this summer, that’s a big problem.
Other option is to apply for an O-1 visa which would allow an athlete to earn compensation while in the US. The hold up with that presently for all non US student athletes is that the requirements are difficult to separate from pay for play but there has been movement on that front

Do we know for sure that Jesse / Joe aren't coming back?
I really hope Jesse comes back. I’d be happy with Joe too. Get them some NIL $$$. This year’s team is on the brink of being good but are struggling to close out games. If everyone comes back next year we could be a solid top 25 team or better. They need to mine the portal if we lose either of those guys.

Aren't we supposed to get Moore to commit this weekend? He's supposed to be a highly regarded guard who can either start or back up Taylor. There's no need for Bell to transfer as he is a lock for one of the forward spots.

Center will be the issue if Jesse doesn't come back and we don't hit the portal. Boeheim will again misuse a promising forward (Brown) at the center position. If we have no choice, hopefully Hima and Carey can give us 20 minutes combined so Brown doesn't have to man the middle full time. But, I can't see why an average/competent junior or senior center from a low level D1 school wouldn't want to come to SU if guaranteed good minutes.

Aren't we supposed to get Moore to commit this weekend? He's supposed to be a highly regarded guard who can either start or back up Taylor. There's no need for Bell to transfer as he is a lock for one of the forward spots.

Center will be the issue if Jesse doesn't come back and we don't hit the portal. Boeheim will again misuse a promising forward (Brown) at the center position. If we have no choice, hopefully Hima and Carey can give us 20 minutes combined so Brown doesn't have to man the middle full time. But, I can't see why an average/competent junior or senior center from a low level D1 school wouldn't want to come to SU if guaranteed good minutes.
I think Moore's a '24 recruit and not a candidate to reclassify to '23.

Is Bethea the Girard replacement as far as roster slot? And Bethea/Taylor in terms of role?

As for Center, I really wish we weren’t limited by the zone and needing a unicorn 7 footer who can run and block corner 3’s AND play on offense.

If we weren’t, you can’t tell me we couldn’t possibly find a 23 year 6’9 wide body who could give us 10 and 8. Every team we play seems to have a guy like that.

I like Cole Bajema and Joel Soriano to replace JG3 and Jesse. Both grad transfers.

Mintz/Copeland
Bajema/Taylor
Bell/Adams
Brown/Ajak
Soriano/Hima/Carey

And if Mintz leaves for NBA, hope SU looks at JJ as a combo guard to pair with Quadir

Last edited:
That center for Western Kentucky, Sharp, would be perfect if he portals and doesn't get targeted by a blueblood.

Jessie has some interesting choices and I'm curious if he would want a masters/play somewhere else, happy at SU, NBA or simply go back to Europe and play. Same with Joe as the biggest difference being NBA and playing at home in Europe.

Hima is fine for 30 minutes or so but foul trouble/scoring will hurt big time so finding a replacement for Jessie might be difficult. even in the portal. I can see SU going to another backup type for this slot unless Adam antes up for the 5 spot as well in the portal and Hima stays as a backup.

I'd like to see a 6'9" or so burly guy to backup Hima that could score inside and rebound adequately and to matchup with other schools with such a player that Hima might get pushed around by. Also, this stops Jim from sliding Brown to the 5 out of necessity.

He can shoot and he’s solid on defense. To expect him to replace Girard's production next year is going to lead to another mediocre season.
I don’t think he said he would replace his production. Others, Bell and Brown, will increase theirs. Jesse is the issue.

Jessie has some interesting choices and I'm curious if he would want a masters/play somewhere else, happy at SU, NBA or simply go back to Europe and play. Same with Joe as the biggest difference being NBA and playing at home in Europe.

Hima is fine for 30 minutes or so but foul trouble/scoring will hurt big time so finding a replacement for Jessie might be difficult. even in the portal. I can see SU going to another backup type for this slot unless Adam antes up for the 5 spot as well in the portal and Hima stays as a backup.

I'd like to see a 6'9" or so burly guy to backup Hima that could score inside and rebound adequately and to matchup with other schools with such a player that Hima might get pushed around by. Also, this stops Jim from sliding Brown to the 5 out of necessity.
I think Hima will improve on offense. Not yet to Jesse’s level, but improved.

I’m a Joe fan, but he needs to leave so JT can progress. JT’s ceiling as a basketball player is higher than Joe’s, IMO.

I’m a Joe fan, but he needs to leave so JT can progress. JT’s ceiling as a basketball player is higher than Joe’s, IMO.

I agree and I'd add that if Joe stays, would JT leave?

With Brey retiring, Starling might want to leave ND. He and Judah in the backcourt is something I'd love to see with shooters like Bell and Taylor on the floor.

Hope it's not just a dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom