What are the top 10 "destination" coaching jobs? | Syracusefan.com

What are the top 10 "destination" coaching jobs?

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Not necessarily which teams are the best (although that will likely correlate relatively well) right now.

Was thinking about it in bball, so just curious what some think about football.

No order:

Alabama
OSU
LSU
Florida State
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Georgia (??)

Last edited:
Not necessarily which teams are the best (although that will likely correlate relatively well) right now.

No order:

Alabama
OSU
LSU
Florida State
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
FSU
Texas

???
You have FSU twice, but it just may be that great of a job. Seriously.

Think you nailed it pretty much.

Alabama
OSU
LSU
Florida State
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Georgia

Florida/Auburn/Texas A&M can't decide on these.

You have FSU twice, but it just may be that great of a job. Seriously.

Think you nailed it pretty much.

Alabama
OSU
LSU
Florida State
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Georgia

Florida/Auburn/Texas A&M can't decide on these.

Good catch. Replaced one with UGA.

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida State
7. Florida
8. Alabama
9. LSU
10. Oklahoma

Texas is #1 for me because of where you get to live and the recruiting ground.

I believe what's considered a destination job changes based on the success of the program. For example, I believe several coaches turned down Bama when they were struggling pre-Saban

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida State
7. Florida
8. Alabama
9. LSU
10. Oklahoma

I like this list. I have the same question as orangepassion - how much of Bama's appeal is due to Saban? I think recruiting grounds and the facilities at Texas A&M could put them on this list (I'm biased though). Might switch out Oklahoma for the Aggies.

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida State
7. Florida
8. Alabama
9. LSU
10. Oklahoma

ND at 5 too over Florida schools and Bama? OU dominates Midwest right?

ND at 5 too over Florida schools and Bama? OU dominates Midwest right?
Yeah just because Notre Dame has that mystique that gets them more
Relevance than they deserve and they recruit nationally.
Honestly my bottom 2 could be changed.
As Aggie said A&M could be ahead of Oklahoma or LSU.

Alabama would be a top 10 job I just put it lower in the top 10 because of where I could live and more fertile recruiting grounds.

No order:

Alabama
OSU
LSU
Florida State
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Georgia (??)

Alabama
OSU
LSU
Florida State
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Penn State

I think that Tennessee, Auburn, and Florida are next tier. Miami / Nebraska used to be on this list, too, but not anymore. Most other schools are johnny come latelys, but not true perennial destination blue chip schools.

I like this list. I have the same question as orangepassion - how much of Bama's appeal is due to Saban? I think recruiting grounds and the facilities at Texas A&M could put them on this list (I'm biased though). Might switch out Oklahoma for the Aggies.

It depends on what the head coach values. If it's a quicker path to the national title, then Oklahoma over aTm. But as far as quicker access to the recruiting area, being in the SEC, and the resources that the school is putting into the program, aTm looks like they could jump them in attractiveness.

It's funny how Nebraska has fallen off the radar in a Top 10 (still Top 25). They've sold out every game since many of us were born. But the game has changed, and they just don't have the local talent base to keep up with it.

I believe what's considered a destination job changes based on the success of the program. For example, I believe several coaches turned down Bama when they were struggling pre-Saban

Agreed. Tennessee was a destination job for a while and then fell off the face of the earth. Bama was on no-one's list for a while. Nebraska, Wiscy, MState, were flavors of the month, Miami was a hot job and then they joined the ACC. PSU was considered a destination job - even PP was rumored to be on the short list when he was winning at Syracuse and JoePa refused to retire. Auburn is schizophrenic; hot/cold. Florida was up and down.

Winning generally cures all ills. PSU has somehow managed to live down protecting a child molester (can you say cult?). Auburn won with the highest paid QB in CFB (technically he wasn't paid, his father was).

Texas
OSU
Bama
USC
Michigan
Notre Dame
LSU
Florida St
Oklahoma
Oregon

Brian Kelly is going to end up at Tennessee or Florida.

His scum style winning at all costs will work in the SEC.
Notre Dame wants PJ Fleck.

Yeah, it's crazy that Penn State can basically be listed as a top destination school... I think Tennessee is not far off and Washington could be added with some sustained success based on being in a premier city, state flagship, top 25 all time wins and good attendance.

Penn State IMO is not a top 10 job. I would rather have Wisconsin job. Penn State has cult fanbase and good Hs recruits. However that baggage from Sandusky/Paterno and location move it down.

Agreed. Tennessee was a destination job for a while and then fell off the face of the earth. Bama was on no-one's list for a while. Nebraska, Wiscy, MState, were flavors of the month, Miami was a hot job and then they joined the ACC. PSU was considered a destination job - even PP was rumored to be on the short list when he was winning at Syracuse and JoePa refused to retire. Auburn is schizophrenic; hot/cold. Florida was up and down.

Winning generally cures all ills. PSU has somehow managed to live down protecting a child molester (can you say cult?). Auburn won with the highest paid QB in CFB (technically he wasn't paid, his father was).
Miami's fall-off coincided with its joining the ACC (much to Disney's and Greensboro's joint chagrin), but it wasn't caused by it. Their administration, led by Donna Shalala, upgraded academics and clamped down hard on all the bad stuff that occurred due to Luther Campbell, Nevin Shapiro, et al. Richt will probably get them closer to what they were than they are now; but they won't be allowed to be the Bad Boys of the 80s again because they have too big a stake to lose on the academic side.

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida State
7. Florida
8. Alabama
9. LSU
10. Oklahoma

I wouldn't put Texas #1 due to expectations. They are an overrated program IMO. 2000-09 was their first real stretch of "greatness" and now they have the expectation to repeat that stretch. From 1982-2000 (19 seasons) they only had one Top 10 finish. Then they had seven Top 10s from 2001-2009 (9 seasons). In the last seven seasons they have ended the year ranked once, finishing 18th. So who are they? The team from 2001-09 or the team from the other 26 seasons?

Miami's fall-off coincided with its joining the ACC (much to Disney's and Greensboro's joint chagrin), but it wasn't caused by it. Their administration, led by Donna Shalala, upgraded academics and clamped down hard on all the bad stuff that occurred due to Luther Campbell, Nevin Shapiro, et al. Richt will probably get them closer to what they were than they are now; but they won't be allowed to be the Bad Boys of the 80s again because they have too big a stake to lose on the academic side.
Agreed, I just had to mention the timing. It was a top destination job for a while and recruiting was so easy with the "assistance" of "volunteers" as you noted.

Richt will win, not sure he gets a championship, though. He had all the tools at UGA.

I wouldn't put Texas #1 due to expectations. They are an overrated program IMO. 2000-09 was their first real stretch of "greatness" and now they have the expectation to repeat that stretch. From 1982-2000 (19 seasons) they only had one Top 10 finish. Then they had seven Top 10s from 2001-2009 (9 seasons). In the last seven seasons they have ended the year ranked once, finishing 18th. So who are they? The team from 2001-09 or the team from the other 26 seasons?

If you are good enough, expectations shouldn't bother you, you have unlimited resources, and are in the best state for recruiting.

I don't give a damn about caliber of football program, I can't be the only one who would put Hawaii on this list.

Now that's a destination job.

Its a great destination, not a great coaching job, Can you imagine trying to control your players and getting them to focus.

I don't give a damn about caliber of football program, I can't be the only one who would put Hawaii on this list.

Now that's a destination job.
Its a great destination, not a great coaching job, Can you imagine trying to control your players and getting them to focus.
Saw this at UH-Manoa this summer. They had a bicycle storage shed near the dorms with chain link fence for walls and a big ID card-controlled lock on the door. Really neat idea to let the students store their bikes there over the summer!!! A lot of them were hanging from the storage racks. Along one wall there were a bunch of brackets sticking out from the wall. No shelf on them. They were there so the students could store their surfboards! I only knew that because there were about a dozen in the shed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom