What is going to fix our pass D faster better DBs or DEs? | Syracusefan.com

What is going to fix our pass D faster better DBs or DEs?

Alsacs

Living Legend
We have won these last 2 games and have played well defensively 3 in a row because the pass D has greatly improved.
Wake was average throwing because of the wind and rain.
VPI made plays in the air but we competed really hard and kept it reasonable.
Boston College had the worst passing game probably in the P5.

It isn't a coincidence we have looked good in these games. For the future to sustain this play against teams with good to decent QBs what has to improve faster getting a pass rush or getting better corners covering the pass?

We have won these last 2 games and have played well defensively 3 in a row because the pass D has greatly improved.
Wake was average throwing because of the wind and rain.
VPI made plays in the air but we competed really hard and kept it reasonable.
Boston College had the worst passing game probably in the P5.

It isn't a coincidence we have looked good in these games. For the future to sustain this play against teams with good to decent QBs what has to improve faster getting a pass rush or getting better corners covering the pass?
Rutgets is outraged at the bolded! ;)

I'm going to cut against the grain a bit here and say better DB's. I think both are important, but better measurables, better athletes, and a better grasp of the concepts will lead to a reduction in the massive plays the team seemed to be giving out like candy on Halloween. I think better DB's helps get us from awful to decent quicker, and I think better pass rushing linemen gets us from decent to really good.

I was gonna except Rutgers but even Rutgers scored 32 points on Minnesota with a new QB. I can't see BC doing that.

I was gonna except Rutgers but even Rutgers scored 32 points on Minnesota with a new QB. I can't see BC doing that.
not to quibble and further detract from what should be in interesting thread, but there just ain't no coming back from this:
Michigan vs. Rutgers - Box Score - October 8, 2016 - ESPN

That single game clinches the title for the entire season. It is rare that a single game can do that, but when it is that bad, special circumstances are made :)

I think our DE's played well in the last two games. And no-one is running up the middle with regularity.

I think what will look like a regression vs Clemson due solely to the talent in the passing game and OL.

I'll be watching for being in the right spots in the secondary. If a guy beats you, he beats you. But we can't be out of position or give up any freebies. We'll need to be selective with some blitzes too.

not to quibble and further detract from what should be in interesting thread, but there just ain't no coming back from this:
Michigan vs. Rutgers - Box Score - October 8, 2016 - ESPN

That single game clinches the title for the entire season. It is rare that a single game can do that, but when it is that bad, special circumstances are made :)

Is that professor who wanted Rutgers to get blown out in every game so they would give up football still there?

Update: Apparently, he is: William C. Dowling - Wikipedia

He must have loved the 78-0 game.

Last edited:
I'm going to say better DB's as it's the long plays that have been killing this team this year. Fix that and the offense should be able to score more points most games.

We really really need to fix the KO and punt coverage in a big way. Should not be giving up this many TD's in the kicking game.

To me the exciting thing about the last two games is that those two units played way, way better. That gives me hope that the coaching is up to snuff across the board.

We could always use bigger, faster, players. That goes without saying.

DE's. The ability to get pressure without committing extra guys is huge from a defensive playcalling/strategy perspective. It shores up coverage over the middle and renders coverage of deeper routes almost irrelevant. Lets the DB's jump more routes and play more aggressively, too.

Three things, IMO:
  1. Better pass rush [which is generally non-existent right now]
  2. Better size / athleticism in the secondary
  3. The players becoming more comfortable with their roles / responsibilities in the new system, to avoid giving up so many big plays

We're starting to see #3 happen before our very eyes this year, as the team gets more comfortable and is communicating better. Our problem during the first third of the season was miscommunications and people being out of position, which led to an ungodly number of big plays.

#1 and #2 will be longer fixes, but help is on the way. And at both DE / CB / S, we're getting lots of young players thrown into the fire this year, but they'll be gaining valuable game experience. So I'd expect all three units to be much improved next season.

I'd say DE. There have been a number of plays the last few games where there was good initial coverage, but the QB was able to just camp out until someone came open.

We've looked better lately. I guess we'll see if was lesser competition or improved play soon enough.

I recall Freeney basically dominated the opposition in a way that few others have for us. Convinced me that D line is just that critical.

Of course DBs are important but I think it is far more rare to find one that can truly shut down an opponent like a Revis or Deion Sanders (sorry, is that TOO dated a reference.)

I recall Freeney basically dominated the opposition in a way that few others have for us. Convinced me that D line is just that critical.

Of course DBs are important but I think it is far more rare to find one that can truly shut down an opponent like a Revis or Deion Sanders (sorry, is that TOO dated a reference.)
Not only that, but a lock down DB can only remove one WR from the equation. A Freeney like pass rusher disrupts the whole passing game.

Interestingly, Freeney's senior year we gave up more yards than we gained. The sacks, fumbles, and interceptions he accounted for made all the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom