What is wrong with Andre? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is wrong with Andre?

No ST coach. Coaching matters so much at this level.
Its why our OL is doing so well. We finally have a solid coach.
Its also why the kicking game is bad this year why the holder is screwing up and yes why a great kicker is off.
If a golfer is off he goes to a coach.
Our guys dont have anyone to correct them or to focus on the details which are critical in the kicking game.
If Lustig was still on staff Andre makes this kick and last weeks kick.
ST coaches rarely coach kickers.

In the past we've always used the punter as the holder.

This year for some reason, we're using the back-up long snapper.

This is a fugly hold...

View attachment 208790
Regardless if it's the blocking, the snap, the hold or the kick, too often we have not been successful in one of those aspects and we're throwing away points. Especially when we play out home games in what should be ideal kicking conditions. I don't need to tell anyone that we're not a program that can afford to waste opportunities.

Regardless if it's the blocking, the snap, the hold or the kick, too often we have not been successful in one of those aspects and we're throwing away points. Especially when we play out home games in what should be ideal kicking conditions. I don't need to tell anyone that we're not a program that can afford to waste opportunities.

The snaps seem fine.

The holder is not getting the ball laces OUT.
And Andre is a shadow of his former Groza-winning self. And has been, since that year.

DIno would be INSANE to trust him with another crucial kick of 40+ for the remainder of this year.

On the first touchdown the announcers said he was kicking the extra point to get the school record for points scored I thought to myself, “oh no, that’s definitely going to come back to bite us”. You can’t tempt fate like that.

ST coaches rarely coach kickers.
Arguably true. But they do oversee people that do. I don’t think the lack of dedicated ST and our ST efforts are unconnected

The holder is just as much to blame, but having said that, why hasn’t Dino made adjustments with that yet? Especially considering all these close games?

Is this even true? Do the laces in or out really matter or is that just kicker superstition ?
seems to be you should be able to kick the ball no matter where the laces are - but I admit that’s 100% speculation
Omg, not this again!

Arguably true. But they do oversee people that do. I don’t think the lack of dedicated ST and our ST efforts are unconnected
There is a lot of things involved in becoming a good kicker and staying good.

Dino is an enigma in the kickers and holders respect. How we do not have a ST coach I do not understand.

My grandson was a kicker for BIG RED, (Steubenville, OH), who my son Bill and I coached in his senior year. The team was an undefeated Ohio State Champion and my grandson kicked 66/67 PAT’s and 4 for 4 FG.

Every day I kept stats from stretching, PAT tries, FG’s from right and left hash from the 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 how many made total kicks wind speed and direction while my son went over and over proper technique working with Ian at one end of the field. We usually finished up working with the long snapper who was in this case the starting QB and the holder making sure of the proper hold with the laces forward towards the goal posts and the proper angle of the ball.

Towards the end of practice he was called in to a scrimmage situation where the snap was timed and he had 5 tries from L&R hash at different distances. After dinner we would go over the days practice and because he was a lefty, watched an NFL left footed kickers film.

Proper distance back from the spot, stepping forward towards the ball, having the correct plant and follow through we went over and over. Ian was then 5’9” 150 lbs. In my opinion 80% of kicking is practice to be perfect and technique not size or BIG LEG. There is a lot to getting the muscle memory right so you are kicking in perfect form every time. Every Thursday night he was in an ice bath for his legs to be ready for Fridays game. He received several scholarship offers taking one with Washington and Jefferson. Unfortunately by the time we were able to work with him KOHLS and the other kicking camps were in the rear view mirror. They are valuable.

IMO, Andre without a ST coach and subordinate coach who really knows kicking is at a big loss this year as is Syracuse football. You need someone who is in your ear all the time with encouragement and constructive criticism and sometimes plain old NO you Fu’d up and why. And we as a school are the recipients of Andres lack of that special coach. It really is necessary to have a ST coach and one for the Kicker(s). We’re paying a BIG price for his lack of not having one, especially Friday night’s, that was HUGE.

Last edited:
Dino is an enigma in the kickers and holders respect. How we do not have a ST coach I do not understand.

My grandson was a kicker for BIG RED, (Steubenville, OH), who my son Bill and I coached in his senior year. The team was an undefeated Ohio State Champion and my grandson kicked 66/67 PAT’s and 4 for 4 FG.

Every day I kept stats from stretching, PAT tries, FG’s from right and left hash from the 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 how many made total kicks wind speed and direction while my son went over and over proper technique working with Ian at one end of the field. We usually finished up working with the long snapper who was in this case the starting QB making sure of the proper hold with the laces forward towards the goal posts.

Towards the end of practice he was called in to a scrimmage situation where the snap was timed and he had 5 tries from L&R hash at different distances. After dinner we would go over the days practice and because he was a lefty, watched an NFL left footed kickers film.

Proper distance back from the spot, stepping forward towards the ball, having the correct plant and follow through we went over and over. Ian was then 5’9” 150 lbs. In my opinion 80% of kicking is practice to be perfect and technique not size or BIG LEG. There is a lot to getting the muscle memory right so you are kicking in perfect form every time. Every Thursday night he was in an ice bath for his legs to be ready for Fridays game. He received several scholarship offers taking one with Washington and Jefferson. Unfortunately by the time we were able to work with him KOHLS and the other kicking camps were in the rear view mirror. They are valuable.

IMO, Andre without a ST coach and subordinate coach who really knows kicking is at a big loss this year as is Syracuse football. You need someone who is in your ear all the time with encouragement and constructive criticism and sometimes plain old NO you Fu’d up and why. And we as a school are the recipients of Andres lack of that special coach. It really is necessary to have a ST coach and one for the Kicker(s). We’re paying a BIG price for his lack of not having one, especially Friday night’s, that was HUGE.
It’s completely inexplicable

Every day I kept stats from stretching, PAT tries, FG’s from right and left hash from the 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 how many made total kicks wind speed and direction while my son went over and over proper technique working with Ian at one end of the field. We usually finished up working with the long snapper who was in this case the starting QB making sure of the proper hold with the laces forward towards the goal posts.

I think its great that you spent that time with your grandson, and that he ultimately had much success, but are we to believe that Szmyt, being in a "big time" college football programming going on four years now, doest have a regimen to enable his success, dedicated coordinator/coach on staff or not? (I suspect there is a coach who works with him, prepares/watches film, etc.).

On the first touchdown the announcers said he was kicking the extra point to get the school record for points scored I thought to myself, “oh no, that’s definitely going to come back to bite us”. You can’t tempt fate like that.

Some of you get really weird with the "football gods" superstition stuff. On top of it being complete and utter nonsense, was the broadcast simply to ignore the fact that Szmyt became the all-time points leader? On the night he became the all time field goals maker, he kicked a game winner against Liberty (less than a month ago).

I think the holds at FSU and on Friday night definitely had an impact. And I must say, it doesn't look like he is confident now, and hitting the ball like he should. He seems to be chipping at it. I wonder simply about the mental aspect of his game? Also, I don't think he's ever been one of those kids that kicks on the sideline all game. I wonder if he is being caught off guard some of the times he's being run out there, and thus not mentally prepared (the "pre-shot" routine)? But I'll certainly admit that speculating about a players "head space" is never anything more than mere speculation.

He needs to kick the ball harder instead of aiming it. Knock the putt into the back of the cup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom