What message does it send if Shafer gets an extension? | Syracusefan.com

What message does it send if Shafer gets an extension?

I think it signals to the college football world that we've given up and are content to cash checks from the ACC.

Could also be that we are a place that allows you to get kids in that you want in place before we can you.

or it could send message that we put out feelers to people we have interest in and they declined interest so we stay the course

We're waiting for basketball season and we're picked 9th in the conference. Except for year one, our hoops has been pretty dreadful in the ACC. Noone in the ACC fears us unless it's our soccer, cross country or field hockey teams.

It means we can't afford a new coach and a renovation to the dome.

OttoinGrotto said:
I think it signals to the college football world that we've given up and are content to cash checks from the ACC.

That we are a basketball school that happens to have a NC in football from multiple eras ago that only SU fans remember.

Wait what?

Essentially no change.

44cuse

I think it signals to the college football world that we're doing something you don't care about, and something you'll probably never even know about. Because you don't care.

If they really are on the way to a remodel and being road warriors you pay the guy to play out the string and he gets a year to see if the youth movement can really develop.

Keeping and extending Shafer would be roughly equivalent to saying this:

uja7yui_9699.jpg

I think it signals to the college football world that we're doing something you don't care about, and something you'll probably never even know about. Because you don't care.

Just for a larf I'd like to see Coyle hold a press conference at the end of the year where he not only extends Shafer but makes him the highest paid coach in the game. You want to get the college football world talking about us, that's the way to do it. It would be worth doing just for the unique mix of anger, ridicule, and confusion that it would generate. And the attention would never end! The press and fans from other teams would be constantly tuning into games wondering what the heck are they thinking giving this guy all these years and money?! It reminds me of that Louis CK bit about how if he became a billionaire he'd open up thousands of pet stores all over the country that charge you a $1 million for cans of pet food and the employees have sex with your pets.

After this game I don't think there is anyone left who thinks Shaf is back next year. It couldn't be more obvious that his time is up here.

or it could send message that we put out feelers to people we have interest in and they declined interest so we stay the course

A strategic thinker at last.

You only make a change if you are pretty darn sure that you can upgrade the position. And if your intelligence assessment it that you cannot, then you hold your fire.

I don't think SU is going to follow the suggested strategy on here of "We can't do any worse and if we do we will keep hiring and firing people until we get it right". That isn't intrinsically a bad strategy, it's just not one that I see SU pursuing.

A strategic thinker at last.

You only make a change if you are pretty darn sure that you can upgrade the position. And if your intelligence assessment it that you cannot, then you hold your fire.

I don't think SU is going to follow the suggested strategy on here of "We can't do any worse and if we do we will keep hiring and firing people until we get it right". That isn't intrinsically a bad strategy, it's just not one that I see SU pursuing.

If, as our AD, you aren't pretty sure that you can upgrade this particular position given where we are right now, you have to ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Should I have taken this job?
2. Should I be an AD, or do something else with my life?