What message does it send if Shafer gets an extension? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What message does it send if Shafer gets an extension?

If, as our AD, you aren't pretty sure that you can upgrade this particular position given where we are right now, you have to ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Should I have taken this job?
2. Should I be an AD, or do something else with my life?
You hit the nail on the head!

If, as our AD, you aren't pretty sure that you can upgrade this particular position given where we are right now, you have to ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Should I have taken this job?
2. Should I be an AD, or do something else with my life?

Among the things he cannot control are:

1. The plethora of HC jobs that are or are likely to come open this year. That gives you an idea of just how competitive the market will be. (Sort of like the assessment you might do if you were considering quitting your job. If you found out there was a sudden surge in others who might compete or a retraction of available positions, you might stick it out a little longer.)

2. The fundamental competitiveness of SU as a job. That's set in stone in the short term'

Your view, I suspect, is there are plenty of guys out there who could resurrect the program and that if the new AD was any good he would be able to identify and hire them..

Your view, I suspect, is there are plenty of guys out there who could resurrect the program and that if the new AD was any good he would be able to identify and hire them..

My view is that the AD accepted this job after a 3 win season with a head coach who had never been a head coach before, and was not coveted as a head coach by any other program. The AD knew all of this.

I think there are plenty of guys more qualified for this job, and I think that our AD knows it, and that he will go find one. Otherwise, he wouldn't have taken this job in the first place.

Just for a larf I'd like to see Coyle hold a press conference at the end of the year where he not only extends Shafer but makes him the highest paid coach in the game. You want to get the college football world talking about us, that's the way to do it. It would be worth doing just for the unique mix of anger, ridicule, and confusion that it would generate. And the attention would never end! The press and fans from other teams would be constantly tuning into games wondering what the heck are they thinking giving this guy all these years and money?! It reminds me of that Louis CK bit about how if he became a billionaire he'd open up thousands of pet stores all over the country that charge you a $1 million for cans of pet food and the employees have s e x with your pets.
You watch Loius CK nut said

My view is that the AD accepted this job after a 3 win season with a head coach who had never been a head coach before, and was not coveted as a head coach by any other program. The AD knew all of this.

I think there are plenty of guys more qualified for this job, and I think that our AD knows it, and that he will go find one. Otherwise, he wouldn't have taken this job in the first place.
100% correct. If people don't think we can get a better candidate to be HC than SS shut the program down.
Phil Montgomery/Tom Herman two hot coordinators didn't get P5 jobs they had to G5 schools in American.

This program is not nuclear. We will have interested coaches. My god this AD has to know a coaching change could be possible. If we keep SS it has nothing to do with the fact nobody wants the job it will be the BOT/Syverud didn't give the funds to make an appropiate change.

It would say the University just doesn't care about football. Hire anyone it really can't get worse

anomander said:
Why renovate the Dome if there's going to be nobody to sit in it. Find a way to make it happen.

Small time thinking, short term thinking. Plus last I checked we play basketball there?

one thing that is a must if Coyle is convinced a change is needed hes going to have to move fast