What other schools could get the crowds that we do? | Syracusefan.com

What other schools could get the crowds that we do?

Eric15

Living Legend
Just hypothetically, if every school in the country played in a Carrier Dome-sized facility, what other fanbases would generate the types of crowds that we do?

Obviously Kentucky would. Probably Kansas, Louisville, Indiana. Would UNC? Possibly Michigan State?

(To confirm, this post is intended to be a compliment to how elite and loyal our fanbase is).

Just hypothetically, if every school in the country played in a Carrier Dome-sized facility, what other fanbases would generate the types of crowds that we do?

Obviously Kentucky would. Probably Kansas, Louisville, Indiana. Would UNC? Possibly Michigan State?

(To confirm, this post is intended to be a compliment to how elite and loyal our fanbase is).
The Dean Dome seats 21K, so there's a good chance they would.

UNC fans are wine and cheese but they could get 30k crowds.
Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, Indiana, and maybe Arizona are the only teams I think could do what we do and Syracuse is only the private school that could.

Indiana struggles to fill it's 16K arena, over the past 10 years it has rarely been able to average even 16K. No way they could ever draw what Syracuse does routinely.

Kansas does a much better job consistently filling their 16K arena. Hard to say what they would draw if they had a Carrier Dome to play in. It would surely be more than Indiana.

Carolina's holds 21K. They almost never approach that number, and their average attendance in recent years is often below 20K, even dropping into the 17K range. I can't see them coming close to the numbers SU does.

Even Kentucky's average attendance ranges from year to year from 22K to 24K. While a lot of the variance has to do with the amount of fraud they need to commit to win the attendance crown from Syracuse, they still struggle to consistently fill their relatively small arena (compared to a 35K arena, 23K is small). They might, might not. Never underestimate the willingness of that university to cheat to win something.

Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas and UNC.

I think that's it.

Certainly not Duke.
One must be sure that if they really had the fanbase many think they do, they would have figured out years ago how to build a "new" Cameron. If they opened a 20k seat arena, they'd probably still average 9,314. Sure, ticket prices are ridiculous there, but I gotta believe the supply/demand law at work in Durham would crumble with a scant 1,000 extra seats (except for the UNC game).
Open to debate on this.

Certainly not Duke.
One must be sure that if they really had the fanbase many think they do, they would have figured out years ago how to build a "new" Cameron. If they opened a 20k seat arena, they'd probably still average 9,314. Sure, ticket prices are ridiculous there, but I gotta believe the supply/demand law at work in Durham would crumble with a scant 1,000 extra seats (except for the UNC game).
Open to debate on this.

Duke has a huge national fan base. I've never heard audible cheering from the visiting team in the Carrier Dome like I did with Duke. They might not have the North Carolina base to support a bigger arena, and given the mystique of Cameron, I'm not sure why they'd want to, they certainly don't need the money with a $7b endowment.

Like this thread, by the way.
We are SOOO spoiled (and awesome) that a "small" crowd on a snowy weeknight is still 20,000 real people in the seats and 26k announced.
Check out @EmptySeatsPics on Twitter at 7pm each night if you want to see how pathetic some schools' and (and pro teams') fan "support" is!

Michigan, when they're winning.
Most teams can put in big crowds when they're winning.
The bandwagon effect.

Syracuse can have a hard fought but mediocre season like this and still put in 20k-plus.
By SU standards that's not even a large crowd.
And that is the best statement of just how large and loyal the fan base is.

I'd like to see $30,000+ Kentucky fans try to drive home in the whiteout conditions we've had the last two game.

Us Syracuse fans have to be the most loyal and dedicated fans in the country. Not many places in the country have the weather we do and we make it look normal. Normal for us but not many others.

Eric15 said:
Just hypothetically, if every school in the country played in a Carrier Dome-sized facility, what other fanbases would generate the types of crowds that we do? Obviously Kentucky would. Probably Kansas, Louisville, Indiana. Would UNC? Possibly Michigan State? (To confirm, this post is intended to be a compliment to how elite and loyal our fanbase is).

I say none.

I think Louisville could. They seem like they have a great fan base and like Syracuse they seem to be a college basketball town first and foremost and have only minor league pro teams as potential distractors.

None.

Maybe, MAYBE Kansas and Arizona.

CuseCPT said:
I think Louisville could. They seem like they have a great fan base and like Syracuse they seem to be a college basketball town first and foremost and have only minor league pro teams as potential distractors.

Louisville brought a shocking number of fans to the BET. They really do have a great fan base. I think they would probably be the most likely school to be able to do what we do.

Even Kentucky's average attendance ranges from year to year from 22K to 24K. While a lot of the variance has to do with the amount of fraud they need to commit to win the attendance crown from Syracuse, they still struggle to consistently fill their relatively small arena (compared to a 35K arena, 23K is small). They might, might not. Never underestimate the willingness of that university to cheat to win something.

Oh, Tomcat, you made me laugh out loud! Their fan base travels very well, just like ours. But ours not only travels well for away games, it travels well for home games (walking three miles up a hill during a blizzard wearing paper bags on our feet, driving 30 miles going 35 mph on the Thruway of Terror in a blizzard, driving 40 miles on Interstate Apocalypse dodging overturned tractor trailers in a white out, etc. etc.)! We fans are nothing short of awesome.

Certainly not Duke.
Open to debate on this.

They would fill it, but with opposing fans and 'anybody but Duke' fans, if their teams were on the road or weren't playing that day.

What makes this even more impressive is how well we show up, especially up and down the eastern sea board. Someone mentioned how Duke has a national fanbase, which they absolutely do, but they wouldn't get anywhere near our crowds if given the same capacity. We do all that plus take over any arena that looks vulnerable. I don't know too many fanbases that have opposition creating ticketing rules to stop them from taking over their gym.

Louisville brought a shocking number of fans to the BET. They really do have a great fan base. I think they would probably be the most likely school to be able to do what we do.

Yeah I was surrounded by them at the final in 2013. They were super polite and knowledgeable. I'm sure they have their share of too (every team does) but they made a great impression on me.

None if given the same weather conditions and status of this year's team. If you're going to throw in the Dome, you've got to throw in all of the other variables also.