What Scott Shafer Walked Away From at UMd | Syracusefan.com

What Scott Shafer Walked Away From at UMd

He always made a point to say how incredibly lucky he was to get paid what he got paid to coach this game. Flat out said once, it's crazy to pay football coaches this amount of money.

I don't think he's the type of guy who really looks at the bank account every day, it's just not near the top of his driving forces/motivator list.

Isn't Scott still being paid by Syracuse University?

I believe so yes

Is he? Usually those contracts are written in such a way that if you take another position, you void the remainder of the deal you had. Given what Maryland was prepared to give him over 3 years, it was a good move for him. I remember being kind of happy that Shafer signed with them because I thought SU would save some money for Babers' staff. Shafer quit but he was employed there for a bit. I assuming he signed his contract. If he did, I don't know if the remainder of his contract with SU is valid.

Is he? Usually those contracts are written in such a way that if you take another position, you void the remainder of the deal you had. Given what Maryland was prepared to give him over 3 years, it was a good move for him. I remember being kind of happy that Shafer signed with them because I thought SU would save some money for Babers' staff. Shafer quit but he was employed there for a bit. I assuming he signed his contract. If he did, I don't know if the remainder of his contract with SU is valid.
I wondered about this as well. This might explain the strange scenario where Shafer resigned from UMD so quickly, once he realized he would no longer be paid by SU (in essence, he'd be working at UMD for nothing).

idk why he left not my business at all. however, he does a great job at UMD and he gets another head coaching shot somewhere.

idk why he left not my business at all. however, he does a great job at UMD and he gets another head coaching shot somewhere.

Alas, he's winning fewer games there than he did at SU.

I always thought those deals were net money where if he made 1.5 here and 750 at Maryland he'd only be paid 750 by SU. Of course I have no idea his deal but that seems logical and I bet he didn't lose a Dime.

Do we know what happened?

I always thought those deals were net money where if he made 1.5 here and 750 at Maryland he'd only be paid 750 by SU. Of course I have no idea his deal but that seems logical and I bet he didn't lose a Dime.

Do we know what happened?

Yeah usually that is how it works.

He always made a point to say how incredibly lucky he was to get paid what he got paid to coach this game. Flat out said once, it's crazy to pay football coaches this amount of money.

I don't think he's the type of guy who really looks at the bank account every day, it's just not near the top of his driving forces/motivator list.

When you make that much, you don't have to look at the bank account every day.

I on the other hand, have to look at my bank account every time I make a purchase lol

When you make that much, you don't have to look at the bank account every day.

I on the other hand, have to look at my bank account every time I make a purchase lol
You and me both.

Coaches aren't paid crazy amounts because they're amazing at coaching football. They're paid crazy amounts because of the high demands (expectations) that schools place on football teams to generate revenue.

Shafer left because of a medical issue. At least that's what he told people at MD. Confirmed to me today by a member of MD's strength staff. Hope he's doing better.

EDIT: The same staff member raved about him as being a great guy who really knew his stuff--defensively, at least.