What should Hunt's punishment be? | Syracusefan.com

What should Hunt's punishment be?

nzm136

All Conference
I think that this is an interesting question. On one hand, there is no defense for his actions, and they were embarrassing to the school, the team, and himself. Furthermore, they were the epitome of unprofessional. On the other hand, it was a 6 inch punch to a guy's helmet after a questionably late hit. More violent things happen all the time in football. And, adding an interesting twist, he is vital to the team, and this is a very important stretch of the season. These are the very winnable games (i.e. as opposed to Clemson and FSU) and are vital towards gaining bowl eligibility for the 3rd straight year (4th in 5 years). Not only would that be eat for perception and fan experience, it would be fantastic for recruiting.

It's obvious that Hunt should be punished, but where should the line be drawn? What should the punishment be? Discuss.

I think that this is an interesting question. On one hand, there is no defense for his actions, and they were embarrassing to the school, the team, and himself. Furthermore, they were the epitome of unprofessional. On the other hand, it was a 6 inch punch to a guy's helmet after a questionably late hit. More violent things happen all the time in football. And, adding an interesting twist, he is vital to the team, and this is a very important stretch of the season. These are the very winnable games (i.e. as opposed to Clemson and FSU) and are vital towards gaining bowl eligibility for the 3rd straight year (4th in 5 years). Not only would that be eat for perception and fan experience, it would be fantastic for recruiting.

It's obvious that Hunt should be punished, but where should the line be drawn? What should the punishment be? Discuss.

he already missed half of last game. sit him for the 1st quarter against CMU and that is it. in my opinion much worse happens on a field during the game, he was just dumb enough to do it blatantly and to the face mask. maybe i am looking at it wrong, but i am not as "embarrassed" by it as many others are. people almost cared less when Delone Carter actually did punch another student in the face

He already faced his punishment. He was ejected from the first game of the season, resulting in public shaming and humiliation.

In this case the punishment more than fits the "crime." Does he really need more to be piled on to really learn his lesson?

he already missed half of last game. sit him for the 1st quarter against CMU and that is it. in my opinion much worse happens on a field during the game, he was just dumb enough to do it blatantly and to the face mask. maybe i am looking at it wrong, but i am not as "embarrassed" by it as many others are. people almost cared less when Delone Carter actually did punch another student in the face
What illegal actions happened on the field that were worse than a deliberate punch to the head? I must have missed those.

I tend to be lenient on these type of things, it was a dumbass move for sure, but unless he doesn't get how he screwed up, then that should be enough.

That said, the upstanding citizen that I am thinks more should be coming...and I'd be ok with it.

If the ACC is leaning, then act and give him another quarter, at least a series. To me, that is the smart play, this shlit cant be tolerated and handled only by a referee. SS may have spoke too quick on the no further penalties are forthcoming or whatever he said. The school and the AD need input.

He had to have broke a team rule. This isn't Parcells asking his team to talk quietly in meetings because LT needs his sleep. Or Jimmy Johnson cutting the 2 guys who were out doing blow and hookers with Michael Irvin, before telling him to take a shower and get some rest.

No superstars in college...or at least not at Syracuse.

His punishment should be a half hour extra work with every single WR, otherwise it's Football let him play.

Losing the 2H was a pretty big penalty, but I agree there has to be something else.

First drive against CMU would be good by me.

With that said, punching someone with a helmet on in frustration is stupid, but not really dangerous. I'd be much more angry about players that trip or illegally cut block or try to knock someone out with their helmet.

What illegal actions happened on the field that were worse than a deliberate punch to the head? I must have missed those.

I said in my opinion worse things happen on A football field, not specifically last night. Late hits, hits to the head, illegal chop blocks. All of those things have the chance to injure the opposing player. I understand their is stupidity, and a lock of integrity in punching someone, but lets not act like more dangerous things don't happen on the gridiron.

He's playing a tough, physical game, takes a borderline late hit, uses an open handed, half-hearted punch as an immediate reaction...i'd say since NYS has banned the death penalty we let him off with the time served. My bet is the first part of the punch was a gut reaction and the opening of the fist was a split second awareness of what he was doing.

this
6566628_std.jpg

o-line should be chanting "thank you sir may i have another"

Unless there is some ACC rule, his punishment should be whatever Shafer thinks it should be. Discipline is one thing I'm not gong to worry about with Shafer.

If they punish him it needs to be for the full game. You have to get an offense ready to play. Much harder to do that if you're planning a QB switch at some point. We don't want to treat things now like we have a 2 QB system. Plus, if Wilson lights it up against CMU it's not fair to him or the team to leave the hot hand for the guy that was dumb enough to punch someone.

Just posted this in another thread - fits better here:

We have two weeks until the next game - this looks like a situation where the coaches can impose discipline behind closed doors next week (make him run stairs, clean the locker room, etc.) and get back on board to prepare for the next game.

tie him to the goalpost and every member of football team/staff get to throw footballs at him for an entire practice

I think he should be shunned like the Amish do and when he takes he field we should all turn our backs to him and look at the nice grey concrete behind us in the dome. Only when the defense and special teams are playing should we watch the game.

I actually just read the rule, the NCAA (joke) rule states that if a player is ejected during the first half of a game then he is not able to play the second half. If ejected during the 2nd half then he cannot play the first half of the next game.

It does state that en ejection warrants a mandatory video review by the conference to see if any further disciplinary actions can/will be taken.

I am sure the ACC will have to review.

As far as the coaching staff punishing him, why are we discussing this. It's pretty clear what Shafer said in his presser when asked if there would be any further action taken. He VERY clearly said "No". Not sure if everyone missed it or if just chose to ignore it and want to talk meaninglessly about something that won't happen.

The ACC on the other hand might view it differently.

I thought he was punished when he missed the rest of the second quarter, all of the second half, and the 2 OTs.

In the movie A Man Called Horse, they put hooks into his chest and suspended him from the rafters. I forget what his offense was, but it was probably very similar to what Terrel did.

He was punished. He was ejected. What?

Nothing. He knows he screwed up and apologized to his teammates. It was a valuable learning lesson.

It's in the ACC hands right now as " I think " the NCAA requires each league to review every ejection during a game in the By-laws of the NCAA rulebook. Sine we signed a contract to join the ACC so we need to honor whatever punishment they come up with.

This out of our hands as fan, but Shafer can come up with his and the ACC can accept or reject and insert their own deal

It's in the ACC hands right now as " I think " the NCAA requires each league to review every ejection during a game in the By-laws of the NCAA rulebook. Sine we signed a contract to join the ACC so we need to honor whatever punishment they come up with.

This out of our hands as fan, but Shafer can come up with his and the ACC can accept or reject and insert their own deal

There is no "thinking" about it, rules are clear. I don't think they add any additional punishment though.

Here are the Articles:
Flagrant Fouls
ARTICLE 1.
Before the game, during the game and between periods, all
flagrant fouls (Rule 2-10-1) require disqualification.
Team B disqualification
personal fouls require first downs if not in conflict with other rules.
Striking Fouls and Tripping
ARTICLE 2. a. No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent with the
knee; strike an opponent’s helmet (including the face mask), neck, face or any
other part of the body with an extended forearm, elbow, locked hands, palm,
fist, or the heel, back or side of the open hand; or gouge an opponent (A.R.
9-1-2-I).
b. No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent with his foot or any
part of his leg that is below the knee.
c. There shall be no tripping. (Exception: Tripping the runner is not a foul.)

Penalty for the Above:
PENALTY—15 yards. For dead-ball fouls, 15 yards from the succeeding
spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other
rules. For fouls in the first half: Disqualification for the remainder of the
game. For fouls in the second half: Disqualification for the remainder of
the game and the first half of the next game. If the foul occurs in the second
half of the last game of the season, players with remaining eligibility shall
serve the suspension during the first game of the following season. The
disqualification is subject to review by Instant Replay (Rule 12-3-5-f). [S38,
S24 and S47]

For games in which Instant Replay is not used: If a player is disqualified
in the second half, the conference may consult the national coordinator of
football officials who would then facilitate a video review. Based on the
review, if the national coordinator concludes that the player should not
have been disqualified, the conference may vacate the suspension. If the
national coordinator supports the disqualification, the suspension for the
next game will remain.

ACC Review Portion:
SECTION 6. Flagrant Personal Fouls
Player Ejection
ARTICLE 1.
When a player is disqualified from the game due to a flagrant
personal foul, that team’s conference shall automatically initiate a video review
for possible additional sanctions before the next scheduled game.

Foul Not Called
ARTICLE 2.
If subsequent review of a game by a conference reveals plays
involving flagrant personal fouls that game officials did not call, the conference
may impose sanctions prior to the next scheduled game.

I couldn't find the ACC by-laws on this. I think they can exceed the NCAA though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom