What to expect if Frost is the guy. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What to expect if Frost is the guy.

Before we start predicting going to bowl games, remember in 2017 we play AT Florida State, Louisville, Miami, and LSU. A new coach may not want any part of that.
2017 acc schedule is tbd if ncaa allows us to go to 3-5-5 schedule going forward and there scheduled to meet and vote on the subject in january

The advantage of playing up tempo is you give your chances to do everything a lot, IE a balanced offense that runs more plays will pass the ball more than other offenses because they do everything more.

If Frost is the guy I think he'll do well and we'd love what we see out of the offense. Instant identity.

Plus... I've got a hunch he'd throw more than track record indicates.

hoopsupstate said:
Before we start predicting going to bowl games, remember in 2017 we play AT Florida State, Louisville, Miami, and LSU. A new coach may not want any part of that.

It's one year. You recruit to it.

I honestly don't get where you guys come up with some of this stuff.

Well aware of the schedule. Would you rather play Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State? That is Maryland's and Rutgers schedule every year. Besides, who knows what 2017 will bring. Louisville and Miami are not as good s they used to be. Jimbo Fisher could be gone by then and LSU could have a new hed coach with a new system that doesn't work.

This ia big time CFB adults only need apply.

The advantage of playing up tempo is you give your chances to do everything a lot, IE a balanced offense that runs more plays will pass the ball more than other offenses because they do everything more.

If Frost is the guy I think he'll do well and we'd love what we see out of the offense. Instant identity.

Plus... I've got a hunch he'd throw more than track record indicates.
Good points and I'd love to see an up tempo scheme. The only problem is...you have to move the chains. 3 and outs kill your defense come 4th quarter.

Good points and I'd love to see an up tempo scheme. The only problem is...you have to move the chains. 3 and outs kill your defense come 4th quarter.
Not even worried about that.

After watching McF***it last year, it definitely crosses my mind.
I get that. But think about this season. We tried to slow the game down, and our defense still fell apart late. I think we should just expect that the defense will fail.

So, how do you find a way to win if your defense can be expected to crack late? You get out front and have enough lead to give your defense the chance to fail. That's what the modern offenses are designed to do. I think it's the right way to go.

Because remember too - their defense is going to break down at the end of games too. Up tempo offenses take advantage of late game breakdowns by the defense.

It may be something that Coyle has been assisting to put together behind the scenes. It was interesting that it was leaked earlier on the board that Coyle talked to Ed O when he came to town back in October. I wonder if there are other potential assistants and coordinators that Coyle has been in contact with as a middle man for Frost. Could even be select coaches on the current staff like Acosta.

IMO this is the type of Defense we need going forward:

Syracuse football defense.jpg

Scott Frost will run an offense similar, if not identical to Oregon's. I am sure he will, over time, put his own stamp on it, but for openers expect to see the following:
  • spread zone read offense
  • no huddle
  • up tempo but not frenetic pace (about 70-75 plays per game)
  • very aggressive but balanced play calling
  • THE BUBBLE SCREEN WILL RETURN AS A STAPLE OF THE OFFENSE!
The Oregon offense scores 40+ points per game with a balanced attack of approximately 55%-45% run-pass ratio. They have a very good passing offense and a great running one. The Ducks are number one in rushing in the PAC 12 by over 50 years per game (7th in passing).

The Ducks gain nearly 5.7 yards per rushing attempt and 9+ yards per passing attempt giving them an overall average per play of 6.5+.

The offense is built around the Inside and Outside Zone Reads, which are run to perfection. They don’t try to fool you with these plays, but they will react to the defense overplaying them. As a matter of fact, they are counting on it. The Ducks stretch you out by lining up with about a yard gap separating linemen and then run the Zone Reads at you to see how you will react. Once they have you going where they want you, they will eat you alive with play action and double options to the opposite side of the ZR plunge.

It would seem that Dungey and the incoming QBs will fit the new system as it is imperative to throw well on the run as well as being a threat in the ZR. Fredericks should be an ideal RB (Oregon calls them tailbacks).

Oregon’s leading pass catchers always include their RB’s so maybe our HB’s will fit nicely as well. Oregon's formation for the Outside Zone Read has the RB lined up even with, but quite a distance from, the QB (more like a HB in a wing postion). Oregon's TEs combined catch about 40-45 passes per season, so they need to have good hands as well good blockers.

Lineman, as with any spread offense, need to be agile and mobile.

This offense has some similarity to Hackett's 2012 offense. It does not appear to be as radical a change as I originally feared it might be.

If it really is going to be Scott Frost, this could get fun in a hurry.
If Dungy fit, why not recruit him to Oregon.

Last edited:
Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. If Frost is the guy, these kids better be able to never stop moving for about 4-5 minutes at a time.

Rocco said:
Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. If Frost is the guy, these kids better be able to never stop moving for about 4-5 minutes at a time.
good fire will hicks

How many head coaches were QBs that have won NC?
I can't think of any, but if I am missing anyone the list is tiny.

Frost is not your run-of-the-mill OC. He has had a bit of experience as a LB coach and co-DC early in his career and has played for Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells,Bill Belichick and Jon Gruden. He has coached wide receivers and QBs (including Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota) and has been OC for three years running the high-powered Oregon zone read offense.

If there is a better prepared young OC out there I don't know who that would be.

Frost is as good a risk for a non-HC as there is at the moment.

How many head coaches were QBs that have won NC?
I can't think of any, but if I am missing anyone the list is tiny.

Frost is not your run-of-the-mill OC. He has had a bit of experience as a LB coach and co-DC early in his career and has played for Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells,Bill Belichick and Jon Gruden. He has coached wide receivers and QBs (including Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota) and has been OC for three years running the high-powered Oregon zone read offense.

If there is a better prepared young OC out there I don't know who that would be.

Frost is as good a risk for a non-HC as there is at the moment.
Steve Spurrier off the top of my head

I believe he won as a player too
Nah, he played 1963-1967 right in the heart of the Bear Bryant, Frank Broyles, Darrell Royal, Ara Parseghian, Duffy Daugherty era.

FWIW I was talking with my friend who is an Oregon grad/superfan and when I told him about Cuse's interest in Frost he responded "Have fun with that". Didn't like his big play calling but complimented his overall game to game gameplans

FWIW I was talking with my friend who is an Oregon grad/superfan and when I told him about Cuse's interest in Frost he responded "Have fun with that". Didn't like his big play calling but complimented his overall game to game gameplans
Wonder what that really means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom