What we wanted, What We got and What we didn't | Syracusefan.com

What we wanted, What We got and What we didn't

Pyle

All Conference
And by that I mean Frost, Babers, and Ash. I'd like to generate some conversation about the coaches we didn't get vs what we did get. I'm not trying to sell Babers short here, but at one point this board was almost all in on Frost. When that didn't happen most of us were happy as hell to hear Babers name come up next. And the board practically had a colon blow when Ash's name got brought up. This has made me curious what some of our real knowledgeable college guru's think about each coaches situation. I don't want to hear Ash is a meathead or that kind of crap. Which coach has the fastest track to success? Babers with a proven system but in the Siberia of recruiting, Frost with his Chip Kelly ties and fertile recruiting ground? Ash with his B1G mentality and knowledge of other teams and what it takes to win in that conference combined with his recruiting ties already established in B1G land? I hear people say Frost is most likely to have instant success but be the first to bail. Why? UCF started 0-8 last year. Do they have any talent? I'll be watching these other coaches closely all season. Sorry for the book but I expect similar type responses, not just one-liners please and thanks.

The biggest things for me, and pardon me because I'm not a college guru, is Babers has head coaching experience and a team that he has worked with for four years. Experience generally trumps everything else. (Note I said "generally")

And by that I mean Frost, Babers, and Ash. I'd like to generate some conversation about the coaches we didn't get vs what we did get. I'm not trying to sell Babers short here, but at one point this board was almost all in on Frost. When that didn't happen most of us were happy as hell to hear Babers name come up next. And the board practically had a colon blow when Ash's name got brought up. This has made me curious what some of our real knowledgeable college guru's think about each coaches situation. I don't want to hear Ash is a meathead or that kind of crap. Which coach has the fastest track to success? Babers with a proven system but in the Siberia of recruiting, Frost with his Chip Kelly ties and fertile recruiting ground? Ash with his B1G mentality and knowledge of other teams and what it takes to win in that conference combined with his recruiting ties already established in B1G land? I hear people say Frost is most likely to have instant success but be the first to bail. Why? UCF started 0-8 last year. Do they have any talent? I'll be watching these other coaches closely all season. Sorry for the book but I expect similar type responses, not just one-liners please and thanks.
IM OUT!!

53955-Kramer-the-bet-Im-out-gif-TD4u.gif

I wanted Frost because I was blinded by Dino's age to be honest. Frost seemed like the young offensive raising star we needed. Then I started reading about him and quickly learned he was just looking for a place to hang his hat until Nebraska came calling in 2017.
Ash, I saw his name and saw he never was a head coach, but was co defensive cord, and was ready to walk away and never look back lol.
Dino I was basically all in on him after watching BGSU play a game and he has proven to me time and time and time and time again he is the right man to pull us out of the dark ages.

I definitely wanted somebody with head coaching experience this time. No more lifer assistants. However, I did show some love to Dave Warner. Alum and all. Dino was my #2 and I'm very happy

I just wanted a HC with experience that wanted to be here. It was very clear that Frost wanted a stepping stone and that his demand of a shorter deal was a warning sign to that effect. Ash seemed like more of the same that we've had and failed here. He's interesting in that his OC hire is not meathead NE football - but both he and Ash are young and inexperienced.

I wanted a guy with good recruiting ties to both those areas - and it seems like Monroe is the next best thing.

Lastly - this system that Babers runs is still fairly unique and very much so to this region. Now that we know more about his philosophy with S&C and how the defense compliments his offense - I'm even happier. I think Ash while thinking more outside of the box than I originally gave him credit for - at heart - he's a defense first guy and will always shade that way in recruiting and in decision making. I don't think Frost will be at a school long enough to build a worthwhile foundation.

I just wanted a HC with experience that wanted to be here. It was very clear that Frost wanted a stepping stone and that his demand of a shorter deal was a warning sign to that effect. Ash seemed like more of the same that we've had and failed here. He's interesting in that his OC hire is not meathead NE football - but both he and Ash are young and inexperienced.

I wanted a guy with good recruiting ties to both those areas - and it seems like Monroe is the next best thing.

Lastly - this system that Babers runs is still fairly unique and very much so to this region. Now that we know more about his philosophy with S&C and how the defense compliments his offense - I'm even happier. I think Ash while thinking more outside of the box than I originally gave him credit for - at heart - he's a defense first guy and will always shade that way in recruiting and in decision making. I don't think Frost will be at a school long enough to build a worthwhile foundation.

Ash talking a lot but the proof is in the pudding. Dino looks like he can make pudding the other two are just assistants from blue blood programs. Dino looks like a guy that can make jello pudding, mess with a bit and serve it as over priced mousse at some high brow restaurant because he has a recipe and has cooked in all type kitchens, the others not so much.. yet

The other two are fresh out of CIA and their whites are lily white... Kitchens are unforgiving and ruthless

I agree with most of the responses.

I am very pleased with Dino - he has HC experience - he knows what he's doing/has a plan - he is at an age where he wants a destination job now - and he seems sensitive to and has fully embraced the tradition of Syracuse University Football.

At this stage, I don't think it's really all that close - Dino Babers seems to be the best choice when compared to Frost and Ash.

Would have been fine with Frost. Didn't want Ash because I want someone in charge that calls offense home.

Plus, Ash sounds like a meathead.

Would have been fine with Frost. Didn't want Ash because I want someone in charge that calls offense home.

Plus, Ash sounds like a meathead.
and Frost had one foot out the door.

My rank was

1A Frost
1B Babers
Wanted no part of Ash

I did not want another no exp, defensive meathead.

I liked Matt Campbell and Dino Babers, and Todd Monken as a dark horse. So I was happy with the selection and I think Dino has done nothing but improve my comfort with the decision.

Frost always had that mercenary feel to me and I really wanted someone who could bring an explosive offense but also could be here longer term. Dino definitely fits that mold.

Ash talking a lot but the proof is in the pudding. Dino looks like he can make pudding the other two are just assistants from blue blood programs. Dino looks like a guy that can make jello pudding, mess with a bit and serve it as over priced mousse at some high brow restaurant because he has a recipe and has cooked in all type kitchens, the others not so much.. yet

The other two are fresh out of CIA and their whites are lily white... Kitchens are unforgiving and ruthless

I like the gastronomical references!

image.jpeg

Zoom in on the bag he's carrying.

image.jpeg

I'd be happy to respond...after any of these guys coach a game, or maybe two.
Who cares then????? Lol, I'm just trying to get through this next 24 hours and figured this topic gave us something to talk about other than Rutgers. After tomorrow, I'll be too busy talking about us!

Hated the shafer hire from the start. We need an offense minded coach. Need to be unique in some way.

I think Frost would fail at Syracuse, but that doesn't mean he won't do well in Florida. He has zero experience with doing more with less. Recruiting would have been a big problem. I'll always be very skeptical about assistants coming from teams that recruit so easily.

Ash would be terrible for us, but I think he's a much better fit for RU. My gut says he's grob-esque, but I think he'll do "okay" with a b10 team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom