What's in a name? | Syracusefan.com

What's in a name?

SWC75

Bored Historian
At halftime of the basketball game I was leafing through my Sports Illustrated and found a column by Steve Rushin. I always get a kick out of his work. This was far from his best - I think i ot only a single chuckle out of it. He was 'revealing' comical sports secrets. (No, nothing about Franklin Howard). The One is laughed at was "When football coaches hide their mouths behind oversized laminated play cards they are - in almost every single instance - talking about you!" (The rest of the time they are talking about Franklin Howard.)

One other item didn't make me laugh but got me thinking: "The SAuper Bowl trophy will always be awarded, disproportionately to the Bills - Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher. (This law is void in Buffalo.)"

It made me try to think fo the first names of the Super Bowl winning coaches: have there been more Bills than any other name? If so, what name is in second place? . I had nothing to tally it up on but was able to think of every SB winner except the guy who coached the Ravens to their first Super Wins, (with a team that used to be the Brown- take that Cleveland!). I could picture him but my 63 year old brain couldn't come up with the name. I looked it up when I got home- Brian Billick. Then I tallied the names up. Each win is tallied separately: Bill Belichick accounts for 4 of them because he's won four Super Bowls, not one because he's one Bill. Here are the results:

The Super Bowl has been won by:

10 Bills
6 Mikes and 6 Toms
3 Dons, 3 John's and 3 Joes
2 Georges, 2 Jimmys and 2 Vinces
And one each of Barry, Brian, Dick, Gary, Hank, Pete, Sean, Tony and...Weeb, whose real name was Wilbur. I'm guessing he'll remain the only Weeb and probably the only Wilbur.

As of this writing, There are two Mikes, one Bill, an Andy, a Dan and Jason still in contention to be this year's Super Bowl winner. The last three would be first-timers.

Last edited:
Your math was off as I counted to 50

Belichick 4
Walsh 3
Parcells 2
Cowher 1

So that's 10 Bills and i stopped, get a new CPA

Your math was off as I counted to 50

Belichick 4
Walsh 3
Parcells 2
Cowher 1

So that's 10 Bills and i stopped, get a new CPA

Thanks. I checked my stoke tally and I actually had 10. My math was OK. My reading comprehension and/or my typing was bad. But the Bills are pretty good. (Those Bills anyway.)

I looked up whether the Bills have ever been coached by a Bill - nope!
Buffalo Bills Team Encyclopedia | Pro-Football-Reference.com

In fact, the Bills have had 19 different head coaches and they've had 19 different first names!

Buster, (Garrard)
Lou
Joe
Harvey
Jim
Chuck
Kay, (George)
Hank
Marv
Wade
Gregg
Mike