What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say Bazley has the same impact as Battle and Carey has the same impact as Brissett. Howard is slightly improved. It’s not a much different team than this year.

This isn’t 2005. You can’t win with 1.5 shooters.

Adds Hughes as another reliable scorer and pray that Howard Washington develops

Brissett may be best off leaving this year if he projects as a top 20 pick.

That’s just being realistic in today’s world.

However, if both of them leave It’s time to panic. Brissett’s going to be the difference of this team being top 25 or potentially sucking again. Hes a stud.

And there's a 0.001% chance he's a first round pick this year.

However, if both of them leave It’s time to panic. Brissett’s going to be the difference of this team being top 25 or potentially sucking again. Hes a stud.

I just can’t think of any 6’8 or so players that are shooting .349 % from the field being first round picks. Like...35 percent!!! Nah. No way.

Bazley isn’t Carmelo.
Carmelo was a scorer.
Bazley is Lamar Odom type who will be a playmaker, will be able to play the high post, and drive for baskets.
He isn’t going to come in score 20 every game like Melo could do if needed.
This team needs offense.
Brissett is a guy with Bazley who can spot up and be fed the ball.
I bet Bazley gets more assists than Howard next year.

The problem JB doesn’t recruit enough offensive first players it’s all fits for the zone. We need an offensive big. Hell Tyler Lydon was underused.

You? Shocker.

; )

I think that it is far more likely that both will have a steady improvement curve, that you'd expect from sophomores. Both played a lot of minutes as frosh. Both will be more physically mature next year. Stands to reason that they'll both improve over the course of the off-season.
And I'm sure you assumed the same about Roberson after every season.

And there's a 0.001% chance he's a first round pick this year.
Im preparing for the worst. He’s already been projected top 15 in 2019. He’s absolutely gone first round with a big ACC tourney run.

Say Bazley has the same impact as Battle and Carey has the same impact as Brissett. Howard is slightly improved. It’s not a much different team than this year.

This isn’t 2005. You can’t win with 1.5 shooters.

That would assuming NO improvement from Sidibe, Chukwu, Marek, and Moyer though. I’m optimistic that at least 2 of them will be quite a bit better. Plus Hughes.

We should be much deeper(.which it would be almost impossible to not be deeper), and have more options.

I happen to think this Brissett talk is pretty ridiculous and far-fetched and is just us being a bit shell shocked and thinking worst case. I think he’s here, and I think we have a chance to be really good and at minimum will be a good, solid team.

Something like Howard, Hughes, Brissett, Bazley, whatever Center, with Carey as 6th man...there’s a lot of potential there.

Completely agree. Guy is going to be our best player next year. If he leaves, we're absolutely a bubble team again.

And I'm sure you assumed the same about Roberson after every season.

Roberson never showed any skill. He was a “will” player. A good athlete who hustled and got on the boards, and could finish the garbage points at the rim. It’s not surprising when those guys max out. There was never any sign of a handle, passing, or shooting ability.

Marek has shown some of the skills as well as some of the “will” stuff. I think he’s got a higher ceiling and more capacity to improve than s guy like Roberson did.

Im preparing for the worst. He’s already been projected top 15 in 2019. He’s absolutely gone first round with a big ACC tourney run.

Have you seen his historically bad numbers?

Who left before they were ready? 6 straight first round picks means each was ready.
Depends on the definition of ready. Today's definition seems to be having the potential to develop into an NBA player. It used to mean you were projected as an immediate NBA starter.

That would assuming NO improvement from Sidibe, Chukwu, Marek, and Moyer though. I’m optimistic that at least 2 of them will be quite a bit better. Plus Hughes.

We should be much deeper(.which it would be almost impossible to not be deeper), and have more options.

I happen to think this Brissett talk is pretty ridiculous and far-fetched and is just us being a bit shell shocked and thinking worst case. I think he’s here, and I think we have a chance to be really good and at minimum will be a good, solid team.

Something like Howard, Hughes, Brissett, Bazley, whatever Center, with Carey as 6th man...there’s a lot of potential there.

I’ll admit I’m basing this on recent history. Guys like Roberson and Joseph never improved.

We keep losing guys losing guys before they are capable of carrying their college team.

Roberson never showed any skill. He was a “will” player. A good athlete who hustled and got on the boards, and could finish the garbage points at the rim. It’s not surprising when those guys max out. There was never any sign of a handle, passing, or shooting ability.

Marek has shown some of the skills as well as some of the “will” stuff. I think he’s got a higher ceiling and more capacity to improve than s guy like Roberson did.

If Marek has half the career Roberson had here I'd be surprised.

Have you seen his historically bad numbers?

He’s playing on a historically bad JB team. NBA drafts on ability and potential, not statistics on an 18 win team.

His length, athleticism and form will turn heads. His shots workable and will improve.

If OB declares I’m done following college basketball. What a joke. I can’t keep investing in all these one and dones who jump to play in the g league.

Depends on the definition of ready. Today's definition seems to be having the potential to develop into an NBA player. It used to mean you were projected as an immediate NBA starter.

There's like 6 guys a year that start as rookies in the NBA and about a dozen more that are in the rotation. If you can be a rotation guy in year 1 than you're ready.

Im avoiding making the H0T Takes I want to with Marek. Need to see some more games, wouldnt be too fair right now.

He’s playing on a historically bad JB team. NBA drafts on ability and potential, not statistics on an 18 win team.

His length, athleticism and form will turn heads. His shots workable and will improve.

His athleticism is so overrated on here, while he is athletic he's made out to be Grant around here.

Statistics may not the end all be all but when you're historically as bad as he's been it absolutely plays a part. I don't think you've seen his numbers or else you wouldn't dismiss them as being that big of a deal.

I’ll admit I’m basing this on recent history. Guys like Roberson and Joseph never improved.

We keep losing guys losing guys before they are capable of carrying their college team.

I hear you. I’m much higher on Sidibe and Marek than I was on Joseph and Roberson at the ends of their freshman seasons.

It’s hard to get too high on Sidibe with the injury problems he’s had so far, but, and if...I think a healthy Sidibe potentially raises the teams ceiling significantly next year. He showed a lot early on for a freshman big. He dominated the Pitt game. He’s a guy who potentially could be a solid inside scorer and defender.

I’m not going to count on it for next year. I’ll hopefully assume he’ll be reasonably healthy and decent and Chukwu will be ok(he can give us 7-7-3). But there is a chance, Sidibe gives us much more than that.

The only skill I've seen Marek display is passing. Everything else is just "will" or "effort" stuff.

If Marek has half the career Roberson had here I'd be surprised.

If he has a 4 year career, I think he’ll be a better overall player than peak Roberson was.

I don’t think he’ll have the soph. year Roberson had(think he was around 9 points 8 boards), he may not have a record setting night against Duke or be one of our best players in a final four run...but I think he has the potential to develop into a better all around player by the time he’s done because he’s shown the potential to do more things well. He’s nowhere near doing this things consistently enough to be considered “good” at them - but he’s shown flashes of them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a 12 points, 7 boards, 3 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.2 blocks, helps break the press with ball handling and passing type player by the time he’s done.

The only skill I've seen Marek display is passing. Everything else is just "will" or "effort" stuff.

69 % from the line. Roberson was 29% as a freshman - 49% for his career.

He’s knocked down mid range jumpers in games against good teams.

He’s taken the ball off the dribble from the 3 point line to the hole for a big bucket late in an overtime game.

He’s shown potential to have much more of an offensive game beyond finishing dunks and putbacks - which is all Roberson could ever do on that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.