where are the kids? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

where are the kids?

I wonder if some of the tickets didn't go to their parents, as someone had to bring these kids and supervise them.

I suspect that there is no money left over as the article said that the tickets were bought and distributed - the people that got them simply stayed home. Stuff like this is why people stop donating. Usually it is the fault of the charity as they overpay executives and waste donations. In this case the waste came from the people who the funds were raised for resulting in half the money burned on tickets and shirts no one used. I am sure none of that money will be returned or given to another organization. What a waste.

You can't force people to go, all you can do is give people the opportunity. 700 is better than the original goal of 200 (which would've only been 100 butts in seats).

I'm sure that those that went to the game actually enjoyed it. That's what it's all about. An ESPN mention would've been nice, though.

Guinness said:
That would have cut into them telling us ever 30 seconds that we had not allowed a 100 yard rusher this season.
This makes me grin for a while. That is funny

VirginiaOrange said:
I suspect that there is no money left over as the article said that the tickets were bought and distributed - the people that got them simply stayed home. Stuff like this is why people stop donating. Usually it is the fault of the charity as they overpay executives and waste donations. In this case the waste came from the people who the funds were raised for resulting in half the money burned on tickets and shirts no one used. I am sure none of that money will be returned or given to another organization. What a waste.

Disadvantaged kids usually have pretty crappy home environments. It's likely that a lot of families were not able to overcome this crappiness to do something good for their kids.

Disadvantaged kids usually have pretty crappy home environments. It's likely that a lot of families were not able to overcome this crappiness to do something good for their kids.
I am obviously not blaming the kids and/or their families. But for the organizations in charge to fail so miserably is inexcusable. 50% of the money wasted - gone - not available for other programs. Those organizations are the problem and are due blame as I highly doubt that two hours before the kickoff they suddenly had 700 people bail. They had to have known so much waste was a real possibility, probably days ago and should have either had other organizations on standby to take the tickets or simply turned down the massive ticket load knowing that they'd never pull it off.

VirginiaOrange said:
I am obviously not blaming the kids and/or their families. But for the organizations in charge to fail so miserably is inexcusable. 50% of the money wasted - gone - not available for other programs. Those organizations are the problem and are due blame as I highly doubt that two hours before the kickoff they suddenly had 700 people bail. They had to have known so much waste was a real possibility, probably days ago and should have either had other organizations on standby to take the tickets or simply turned down the massive ticket load knowing that they'd never pull it off.

Did you donate money?

Hope that's not the case, but agree with you that that's probably the way it played out.

To be fair, it's not always easy to organize something like this on short notice. And maybe kids and their families didn't think this was as special as we thought it was.

To be fair, it's not always easy to organize something like this on short notice. And maybe kids and their families didn't think this was as special as we thought it was.

If thats the case then the charities should have said, hey, pump the breaks, we cant use all those tix, don't buy them. By having backup/overflow charities available, to me they were implying that the tix would go to good use. Essentially all we did was line the pockets of the Texas Bowl.

Ive seen a few kids of some random pics here and there, but no hard count of how many went.

If thats the case then the charities should have said, hey, pump the breaks, we cant use all those tix, don't buy them.
Again, you can't force people to go.

Essentially all we did was line the pockets of the Texas Bowl.
We (supposedly) helped SU meet its ticket obligation. Did you donate?

Ive seen a few kids of some random pics here and there, but no hard count of how many went.
The number was +/- 700. Did you read the article?

Those who contributed:
  • brought some enjoyment to under privileged kids (and their families)
  • relieved SU if some if its ticket obligation
  • provided some more fans who cheered for the Orangemen
Stop with the whining and negativity!

I am not sure what the final count was but there were quite a few happy kids at the game. The seats were spread over a few sections so it was hard to tell. It was up to the parents/guardians to get them there, I did not see any bus or a large group come in. It was the kids and their chaperones. It was a tremendous effort and it is too bad from what I am hearing ESPN did not mention it. The bowl announcers did give a shout out to SU fans that made it possible. They also showed them on the jumbo-tron a few times. It was a great effort and even though they didn't all show, I assure you the ones that did really appreciated it.

I am not sure what the final count was but there were quite a few happy kids at the game. The seats were spread over a few sections so it was hard to tell. It was up to the parents/guardians to get them there, I did not see any bus or a large group come in. It was the kids and their chaperones. It was a tremendous effort and it is too bad from what I am hearing ESPN did not mention it. The bowl announcers did give a shout out to SU fans that made it possible. They also showed them on the jumbo-tron a few times. It was a great effort and even though they didn't all show, I assure you the ones that did really appreciated it.

Which makes it all worthwhile!

The Cuse Tee's looked good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom