Where's the Beef?? | Syracusefan.com

Where's the Beef??

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I love the sudden surge of recruits making commitments. All these satellite camps seem to be paying off. My only complaint so far is, where the heck are all the linemen? It seems to me that's all we should be looking at from here on out.

OL is pretty well stocked with youth. Probably only 1 maybe 2 at most more this year.

DL on the other hand, I'd like to see minimum 3/4 possibly 5 there, got 1 so far.

OL is pretty well stocked with youth. Probably only 1 maybe 2 at most more this year.

DL on the other hand, I'd like to see minimum 3/4 possibly 5 there, got 1 so far.

No seniors on the D-Line this year. 14 underclassmen between DE and DT plus Morton for 2017. Granted, untested group but I'm not sure we know what we have there.

Agree OL is stocked pretty well, but we do lose 3 there this year and have only 1 commit. I think there will be a focus on getting linemen that fill the skills necessary for the new schemas but not so much on pure numbers.

No seniors on the D-Line this year. 14 underclassmen between DE and DT plus Morton for 2017. Granted, untested group but I'm not sure we know what we have there.

Agree OL is stocked pretty well, but we do lose 3 there this year and have only 1 commit. I think there will be a focus on getting linemen that fill the skills necessary for the new schemas but not so much on pure numbers.

I've got 14 with De'Jon Wilson and Laguerre. Which would be 13 for 2017 with Dunk being the only Sr. and Morton on board.

From a #'s standpoint you'd be OK, but, the DL is as critical a place on the field as there is for RS purposes IMO. I'd like to see a minimum of 2 more to go with Morton. #'s might not shake out that way though.

Though
I've got 14 with De'Jon Wilson and Laguerre. Which would be 13 for 2017 with Dunk being the only Sr. and Morton on board.

From a #'s standpoint you'd be OK, but, the DL is as critical a place on the field as there is for RS purposes IMO. I'd like to see a minimum of 2 more to go with Morton. #'s might not shake out that way though.

Thought Dunk came in with 3 to play 3. Roster lists him as a Junior. Think we agree in concept. there are enough bodies but a lot of question marks at DE. No need to stockpile with projects but grabbing another DE or two with strong pass rushing skills would really solidify things.

Still not sure I understand the role of the TE in Babers' offense but that seems to be the most vulnerable position right now.

We need two interiors and at least 1 more DE. If we get Wright. I will be happy. DT slots, I have know clue who the staff is targeting or think they can get verbals from.

Babers is building the offense first. Get that humming and it'll fill the dome and create excitement. Work on the defense second. 50 point shootouts.

Defensively we're doing a good job shoaring up the secondary (easier to recruit?) and adding some linebackers. Hopefully if teams run the ball on us the next two seasons because of our DL depth, that's fine because we'll score quickly. Teams will be forced to throw it to keep up.

Though

Thought Dunk came in with 3 to play 3. Roster lists him as a Junior. Think we agree in concept. there are enough bodies but a lot of question marks at DE. No need to stockpile with projects but grabbing another DE or two with strong pass rushing skills would really solidify things.

Still not sure I understand the role of the TE in Babers' offense but that seems to be the most vulnerable position right now.

Yeah, I just don't understand why he chased off that original grad student DE because he was going to take another visit. I don't think the Delaware kid had the same pedigree. He could have taken both, you know?

We didnt chase him off. He wouldn't give a solid commitment. He used as a safety net. Kid was never orange.

That's different from what the article implied - that Babers made the offer and the kid accepted, but then took another visit. We have put up with that in the past from some players. Not a ton, but we were in a position of need. Kid seemed surprised his offer was pulled after he had accepted. I guess Babers in no nonsense, but this was a time we could have used another experienced player at a position where we have literally none. I wonder if Ron Thompson regrets his decision now?

IthacaMatt said:
That's different from what the article implied - that Babers made the offer and the kid accepted, but then took another visit. We have put up with that in the past from some players. Not a ton, but we were in a position of need. Kid seemed surprised his offer was pulled after he had accepted. I guess Babers in no nonsense, but this was a time we could have used another experienced player at a position where we have literally none. I wonder if Ron Thompson regrets his decision now?

He's committed to Mich State now, so whether we cut bait then or got tough news now - the result was the same. I'm glad we did it that way and found another guy who wanted to play here.

I love the sudden surge of recruits making commitments. All these satellite camps seem to be paying off. My only complaint so far is, where the heck are all the linemen? It seems to me that's all we should be looking at from here on out.

They are the toughest to recruit. Always have been. You've got to fight with the big boys to get linemen and so far they haven't had much luck. I think we'll see some junior college kids pop up on the radar come the Fall.

The article was from a singular point of view. Obviously the kid will paint it in a way that benefits him. Sherrod wasn't surprised, he knew what he was doing.

I love the fact that our staff cut bait. No matter what it was, something happened they didn't like. Who runs the show?

You have to establish boundaries and hold people accountable, that's exactly what they did. Kids crave discipline and structure.

We have on the roster a number of linemen who will be on the field this year. What we don't have in abundance are players that put points on the scoreboard. Now I agree strongly that the O-Line is the key unit on the field for any team. I believe this to be true for a number of reasons and I fully expect that Dino will pick up the pace this season or the next cycle.WRs with speed are coming for 2017.

i said the same thing in a different thread. i read that we are well stocked with ol . thats good but are they BIG enough? i do not know enough about them, but hope they bigger and stronger than what we have now.
The post above yours was a nod to the late Cali...not to reopen the tread.

The post above yours was a nod to the late Cali...not to reopen the tread.
did i respond to the wrong thread????i do not understand your post. no disrespect intended am i missing something???my response was to ithaca matt please delete

did i respond to the wrong thread????i do not understand your post. no disrespect intended am i missing something???my response was to ithaca matt please delete
You showed no disrespect at all. I was merely pointing out that IthacaMatt's post was from July and the post above yours was simply to bring Cali back to us for an instant. All good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom