Which of SUs current players ends up being the best in the NFL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Which of SUs current players ends up being the best in the NFL

Here's my thoughts from what I've seen on the field to this point:

Surefire NFL - Alton
Likely NFL'er - Trill, Cisco, Szmyt
50/50 Chance - Servais, The Hof, Fredrick, Coleman, Taj Harris
**Too Soon to Tell - Tommy, Abdul Adams, Triston Jackson

I'm going off memory and not scanning the roster. Did I leave any obvious guys out?

** Due to limited action, I'm refraining from making a guess.

As someone pointed out above, Evan Foster should be on the list. 50/50 at a minimum. I think he gets drafted though.

As someone pointed out above, Evan Foster should be on the list. 50/50 at a minimum. I think he gets drafted though.

I understand the measurables attribute. And the kid can definitely hit, but I feel like he is a liability in coverage. He also seems to take terrible angles at times. I'm no football mind, so it's definitely possible I'm very wrong. But I'd actually be surprised to see him stick in the NFL. Obviously would love to be wrong about that!

I understand the measurables attribute. And the kid can definitely hit, but I feel like he is a liability in coverage. He also seems to take terrible angles at times. I'm no football mind, so it's definitely possible I'm very wrong. But I'd actually be surprised to see him stick in the NFL. Obviously would love to be wrong about that!

Never know how a kid will develop, especially as a junior & senior. But based on his first two years, agree with you.

Never know how a kid will develop, especially as a junior & senior. But based on his first two years, agree with you.

He's a Sr this season, so he has 1 last go at it. I think he'll have a nice season, especially with all the talent we have in our secondary.

I have said that first few years he started but last year his angles improved greatly and he was covering guys extremely well and I know this cuz I was kinda shocked he improved so much. They must see improvement too in the nfl cause they are talking about him. Not too mention he weighs 220 and made the biggest hit of the year on Sunshine against Clemson. Which was not in any way dirty since he put his head forward instead of sliding.

Devito. Especially if he sticks around and has 3 full years as a starter reading defenses etc.

Shocked he hasn’t been mentioned yet. I can’t predict anyone else’s pro potential given our recent top players bad luck in the draft etc etc.

I will say that if our young secondary guys improve after being so good last year they should definitely be playing on Sundays!

I think we're all hopeful, and very high on Tommy. We are just holding our breath a bit until he has a few wins under his belt.

Surefire NFL - Alton

I'm going off memory and not scanning the roster. Did I leave any obvious guys out?

Jawahr Jordan is crazy talented. I'll be shocked if he's not on one of the All-ACC teams as a sophomore. I think that when he gets on the field against defenses that are already a bit winded, he's going to seem even that much faster.

I think he is going to explode in this offense as a second unit guy this year, so long as the O Line comes together. Next year, he'll be a star.

I think we're all hopeful, and very high on Tommy. We are just holding our breath a bit until he has a few more wins under his belt.
FIFY

(I was one of those lonely fans who put teeshirt Tommy on my short list)

The biggest problem that fans are going to have with Tommy this year is figuring out to celebrate a record breaking year (for QB and team) without having it look like shade being thrown at our retired warrior

Don’t worry, my crystal ball says we will all figure out a way :cool:

FIFY

(I was one of those lonely fans who put teeshirt Tommy on my short list)

The biggest problem that fans are going to have with Tommy this year is figuring out to celebrate a record breaking year (for QB and team) without having it look like shade being thrown at our retired warrior

Don’t worry, my crystal ball says we will all figure out a way :cool:

I'm very optimistic, but he got punched in the mouth against Notre Dame.
He's not the finished product yet. That only comes with game time.

I'm very optimistic, but he got punched in the mouth against Notre Dame.
He's not the finished product yet. That only comes with game time.
I guess but I saw our retired warrior get punched in the mouth too

Also saw a Taj take a throw to his numbers and gift it over to ND

Also saw NJ drop a long TD that he had in secured in both hands before hitting the ground

Also not too many offenses other than Clemson played well vs ND

Also he still hadn’t had the chance to practice as #1 with an offensive game plan that was built for him and practiced for 9 months before the game

The raw numbers don’t tell the whole story here I don’t think

If TD is not AT LEAST a top 25 QB (measure however you want) it will be the worst prediction I ever made.

This one is “easy button” stuff

Sit back relax and enjoy the show (I know you will!)

Last edited:
I guess but I saw our retired warrior get punched in the mouth too

Also saw a Taj take a throw to his numbers and gift it over to ND

Also saw NJ drop a long TD that he had in secured in both hands before hitting the ground

Also not too many offenses other than Clemson played well vs ND

Also he still hadn’t had the chance to practice as #1 with an offensive game plan that was built for him and practiced for 9 months before the game

The raw numbers don’t tell the whole story here I don’t think

If TD is not AT LEAST a top 25 QB (measure however you want) it will be the worst prediction I ever made.

This one is “easy button” stuff

Sit back relax and enjoy the show (I know you will!)

Don't start pointing fingers already.

That's not the way of a leader. That's not how you build trust with your teammates.

That's not the way of a leader. That's not how you build trust with your teammates.
Pretty sure teeshirt Tommy wouldn’t say anything I pointed out above, and I hope it’s obvious that he is not posting on my handle since I have been posting on it for 2 decades.

A couple more obvious reasons below

#1 because he already proved he is a terrific teammate with great leadership qualities (too many examples to cite, although I have cited some of them in the past)

#2 because none of his teammates would ever say “he got punched in the mouth”. My guess is they would all view it as a collective failure which it was (which I pointed out)

But i think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one

Last edited:

This thread has taken a strange turn.

1. We can’t root too hard for Tommy, because it will look like we are showing shade at Dungey??

Good lord...

2. A random post on here is a reflection of Tommy pointing fingers at the failures of his teammates to do their job??

Please...

This thread has taken a strange turn.

1. We can’t root too hard for Tommy, because it will look like we are showing shade at Dungey??

Good lord...

2. A random post on here is a reflection of Tommy pointing fingers at the failures of his teammates to do their job??

Please...

No, I pointed out that Tommy did not have a very good game against Notre Dame, which was a big opportunity. The poster I was responding to listed about six plays where other players "let us down".

That wasn't my original point - people are saying Tommy will lead us to another 10 win season like it's a done deal and he's one of our best pro prospects. I would be more confident if we hadn't gotten our butts kicked versus Notre Dame. I'm expecting a couple bumps in the road this season, and hope for good composure and growth in terms of being able to perform under pressure.

If Foster could learn how to take a proper angle on a tackle on opposing running plays, that would up his game and stock tremendously. Over the years, he has taken some horrendous angles and given up huge plays at the wrong moment. Hope he fixes that in 2019. Go Orange!!!!!!!!

Jawahr Jordan is crazy talented. I'll be shocked if he's not on one of the All-ACC teams as a sophomore. I think that when he gets on the field against defenses that are already a bit winded, he's going to seem even that much faster.

I think he is going to explode in this offense as a second unit guy this year, so long as the O Line comes together. Next year, he'll be a star.

I see him as potentially a kamara type. That super fast, quick, change of direction type guy. He is exactly what the NFL is looking for. They all want that smaller, fast guy as the 3rd down back. I could rattle off 15 of these types of guys, if he stays healthy with that speed he’s almost a lock for the nfl in our system.

No, I pointed out that Tommy did not have a very good game against Notre Dame, which was a big opportunity. The poster I was responding to listed about six plays where other players "let us down".

That wasn't my original point - people are saying Tommy will lead us to another 10 win season like it's a done deal and he's one of our best pro prospects. I would be more confident if we hadn't gotten our butts kicked versus Notre Dame. I'm expecting a couple bumps in the road this season, and hope for good composure and growth in terms of being able to perform under pressure.
I’m not getting involved with this stuff we all know the Qb gets to much blame or credit . That ND game had Blame top to bottom TD included. TD could have

[/

i was bored in February I went back to read some game threads OMG ... talk about jeckyl and Hyde ... QBs get to much credit and blame just the way it is .. remember what you see with your own eyes isn’t always the truth only the coaches and players can tell you the real story behind just about every play . I only find out after film what really happened but I can’t post that stuff

If Foster could learn how to take a proper angle on a tackle on opposing running plays, that would up his game and stock tremendously. Over the years, he has taken some horrendous angles and given up huge plays at the wrong moment. Hope he fixes that in 2019. Go Orange!!!
ASI have said before he changed that drastically this year both in angle pursuit and coverage. I was the hardest guy on him 2 and 3 years ago but last year I saw 2x he made poor angles but everything else looked great. He made drastic improvements. Watch out for him this year. Animal.

Surefire NFL - Alton

No love for Iffy.

No love for Iffy.

He's had a couple really nice games (UNC obviously comes to mind). I think it's possible he gets there.

His biggest hurdle right now is the talent in front of him. 9/10 other years he'd be starting, but the secondary is so deep, that his opportunities are more limited than they would be on most other Cuse teams.

His measurables are off the chart. My guess is he makes second team ACC his junior year and becomes an All American 3rd team his Senior.

I can see Evan Adams being a long term swing guard due to his size, and ability.

The NFL loves our receivers so they are going to get every opportunity.

Alton has great potential, and I hope he gets drafted by the right team. Meaning scheme fit in a 3-4 system.

It is really cool to be having the conversation!

I’m not getting involved with this stuff we all know the Qb gets to much blame or credit . That ND game had Blame top to bottom TD included. TD could have

i was bored in February I went back to read some game threads OMG ... talk about jeckyl and Hyde ... QBs get to much credit and blame just the way it is .. remember what you see with your own eyes isn’t always the truth only the coaches and players can tell you the real story behind just about every play . I only find out after film what really happened but I can’t post that stuff
Even knowing what to look for, every week I’d go into the film room and be like, damn, this, that and this...

You’re right, 99.9% of people don’t know what’s happening on any given play unless they’re in that room.