Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison

I agree with the Jerami comparisons. Admittedly, I haven't seen much outside of highlight reels and the two preseason games, but a mix of Jerami and maybe CJ Fair if the jump shot continues to develop.

Here's the thing with DC. He was told by JB as a freshman "if you want to score, go get rebounds, I'm not running any plays for you". And Derrick said "Okay, coach".

Bennie should get the same speech.
different era. Nowadays, having a team of seniors/juniors is rare...before that was the norm.

and all players had a lot less agency/control/lower expectations then...especially younger players.

with the portal, a speech like that would be akin to kicking him out the door and calling him a taxi. bad idea.

I'm thinking Soph KrisJo is the closest thing, if we're using a single player comp.

He was springy, great slashing to the hoop, ok shooting from midrange.

Benny has better handles now, than Kris ever did.

Jerami was a freak athlete, but more raw and less skilled than Benny, at the comparable points in their careers.

Benny seems to have better passing skills than any Cuse forward I can remember, unless you wanna cheat and include guys like Silent G or Eli in their respective final years.

I'm thinking Soph KrisJo is the closest thing, if we're using a single player comp.

Jerami was a freak athlete, but more raw and less skilled than Benny, at the comparable points in their careers.

Benny seems to have better passing skills than any Cuse forward I can remember, unless you wanna cheat and include guys like Silent G or Eli in their respective final years.

KJo had a pretty nice Crossover to be fair.

Honestly, I was thinking about Derrick Coleman last night, only I'm thinking Benny's has a more complete game than DC when he was a freshman. Same height/athleticism. I think when he becomes our top rebounder, the comparison will be more apparent.

Are there ways Benny doesn't compare favorably to DC?
Ability to beat up a P5 Offensive line in a bar on Marshall Street?

Agree on young Joseph being a good comp. Marek still takes the title of best passing forward, but I really like that part of Bennies game in the scrimmages and hope it still looks promising against non D2 teams.

Ryan Blackwell to start. If he stays 3 years then John Wallace.

Billy Owens was significantly more polished at this stage, but he had similar size and skillset. Billy was more of a shooter and had a better handle, but I think Benny might have a greater ceiling as a post player / player in the paint.
Agree with everything but the post player observation. Poor man’s Billy Owens. Sophomore KrisJo production. His biggest positive is we have no one else like him on the team. Will be interesting to see how assertive he becomes as the season progresses.

He reminds me of Benny Williams 2 preseason games into his freshmen year. He also reminds me of a player with a combination of skills and size unlike anyone else on the current roster.

I didn't see the Pace game, so I can only go by what I saw against Lemoyne. Apples to apples, he's no James Southerland.

Seriously, we're supposed to compare him based off two exhibition games?

It’s hard to compare after two college scrimmages….at least for me. Billy, DC and Melo all came in as top 5ish players in the country as freshman so I think it’s fair to pump the brakes on Benny at least a little for now. It’s fun having a unique and special talent on the team.

Not a direct comparison nor is it an su guy, but I see a bit of Zaire Williams. Long, athletic, bouncy, above average intangibles, high ceiling, projects as a 3/d guy at the next level who can create his own shot. A lot of similarities between the two, even have the same last name.

For Syracuse comparison it’s a lot of Melo with body type and passing dribbling

He’s also just a touch more athletic than Carmelo and not the shooter. Who else do you think his game is most like?

Reggie Williams from Georgetown.

Not a Syracuse comparison, and may be slightly blasphemous, but I think his game compares to another Williams…….Reggie Williams

I made the same comparison. They even have a bit of the same flat shot.
As long as he doesn't turn into a dirty player, I'd be very happy with that caliber of player on our team.

Body and athleticism of Wes Johnson skills of a young ( K.JO./J.Grant )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom