Who are our playmakers? | Syracusefan.com

Who are our playmakers?

florange44

Scout Team
I often think that football coaches outhink themselves. I think we did that on Saturday by not goin back to plays that worked previously.

I'd like to see us get the ball to our playmakers some more on Saturday. I would distribute the ball like this:

J Smith - 20 carries (please go outside some or draw some!)
Broyld - 12 touches (2 swing passes, 2 seam routes, 2 misdirection handoffs, 2 draws, 1 reverse, 2 screens, 2 WR screens)
Morris - 8 touches (3 draws, 2 sweeps, 2 misdirection, 1 swing pass) + KO returns
Wales - 5 catches in the 8-12 yd range middle of the field
Gulley - 5 touches (draws and screens and wheel routes)
West, Kobena, Clark - another 10 catches on 18 throws

That's 34 runs and 42 passes (27 catches for 65% completion rate) = 76 total plays. Might be more plays than we can get off. If Smith is working, give him more and reduce touches for Broyld and the WRs. If the Smith runs aren't working go more toward the WR screens to Broyld and the swing passes to Gulley and Broyld.

What do you guys think?

Florange44

We need more touches for Macky.

I think there was an incomplete swing pass to estime as well.

I often think that football coaches outhink themselves. I think we did that on Saturday by not goin back to plays that worked previously.

I'd like to see us get the ball to our playmakers some more on Saturday. I would distribute the ball like this:

J Smith - 20 carries (please go outside some or draw some!)
Broyld - 12 touches (2 swing passes, 2 seam routes, 2 misdirection handoffs, 2 draws, 1 reverse, 2 screens, 2 WR screens)
Morris - 8 touches (3 draws, 2 sweeps, 2 misdirection, 1 swing pass) + KO returns
Wales - 5 catches in the 8-12 yd range middle of the field
Gulley - 5 touches (draws and screens and wheel routes)
West, Kobena, Clark - another 10 catches on 18 throws

That's 34 runs and 42 passes (27 catches for 65% completion rate) = 76 total plays. Might be more plays than we can get off. If Smith is working, give him more and reduce touches for Broyld and the WRs. If the Smith runs aren't working go more toward the WR screens to Broyld and the swing passes to Gulley and Broyld.

What do you guys think?

Florange44

Generally chances this team wins throwing the ball 42 times, not good, chance they win running the ball 42 times, very good.

This game might be the exception.

At this point seeing what I have I would say both rbs gully and smith. Broydl and maybe kobena. A wild card for me would be estime but who knows. I would think there would be some go to plays that they would have. Ones that everyone seemed to gel and hit there marks!

If Kobena is 100% healthy, go with him. He did very well against NW last year... 2 TDs.

Generally chances this team wins throwing the ball 42 times, not good, chance they win running the ball 42 times, very good.

This game might be the exception.
Go-
I agree in general but realize that 10 of those completions are screens and swing passes. Really just another type of outside running play.
Florange44

About the only thing you can do for that is put him on special teams or make him a ball-boy.

More first downs...more offensive plays...means more touches for Mackey.