Who starts at QB in Buffalo? | Syracusefan.com

Who starts at QB in Buffalo?

Nobody. Don't need one.
I don't know.. With OC Roman, Taylor and EJ look incredible and have looked good all preseason. They've also done this without the top 3 WRs and top RBs. I think we'll be passing more than you think.

Trying to not get too excited but I never expected this.

They both looked really good today. I was really impressed with a couple passes that EJ made in the third quarter, particularly the long one towards the sideline that was perfect for the Bills receiver and just out of reach for the Steelers. That pass to Clay in the first quarter for the TD was a nice throw also.

I thought Fred looked really solid too - nice run to start the whole game. He still has some legs left in him.

I'm nervous about Darby. Looked good against the Ravens but he struggled today. I wasn't that excited about picking him in the first place and I know he's a rookie in the preseason, but we're going to need him to play well. It doesn't sound like McKelvin is that close to being healthy.

Gragg doesn't look like he wants to get cut. I was really excited about picking O'Leary but he may not have a place if Gragg keeps playing that well.

Agreed on all counts. Clay and Gray show why we let Chandler walk.

No clue who to start but I wouldn't mind cutting Cassell to keep a Thigpen or extra WR because it's clear EJ/Taylor or Taylor/EJ "could" be the future.

Darby needs to get better and quick with Dareus being out against Indy. I like our chances against them but not if Darby morphs into Justin Rogers.

I think people are talking themselves in to Taylor. He's not a good quarterback.

I would be careful drawing conclusions from preseason play. While I think it is fair for fans to be pleasantly surprised that these guys have not looked as awful as most of us expected, I would still worry about what will happen when defenses are actually game-planning to stop them.

I would be careful drawing conclusions from preseason play. While I think it is fair for fans to be pleasantly surprised that these guys have not looked as awful as most of us expected, I would still worry about what will happen when defenses are actually game-planning to stop them.
I absolutely agree but Preseason Game 3 is usually a solid barometer. I don't know if these guys will be All-World come the regular season but one thing is for sure.. EJ has improved, a lot, and Taylor is showing why Kubiak wanted him so bad in the offseason. I also think Roman as OC is showing through in these guys developments.

Let's also remember they've been doing this without Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Shady, FJax, Brown and Hogan for most of the preseason.

My three biggest takeaways from the preseason are:

-For those who miss Chandler, and I liked him, we see why we let him walk. Clay is a freak and Gray is Clay-lite.

-The Offensive Line looks to be very solid.

-Darby needs to get it together, and quick. With McKelvin not even practicing yet and Dareus out against Indy, this guy cannot be a one man sabatoge unit like he was yesterday. My only solace is that Rex didn't gameplan the defense yesterday and probably doesn't allow Darby to get abused in a regular season game like that.

Last edited:
I think you will see both early but Taylor has certainly been impressive. Not a big body of work to determine how good he can be but he will get a shot for sure.

I don't agree
We'll see. EJ went against the first string Pitt defense (not exactly a tough feat, I know) and the first string offense obliterated them. Offensive Line beat them up and let EJ and FJax/Clay run all over them. Let's just say I've seen enough to think this performance wasn't a total outlier. QBs don't usually play great all preseason (which EJ and TT have) then completely tank in the regular season.

As an aside...I'm sick of the recent NFL culture of throwing young QB's to the wolves on bad teams, and then quickly giving up on them and discarding them when they predictably struggle.

EJ Manuel was a reach where they picked him, and he never should've been starting as a rookie or even 2nd year guy in the first place.

If he was being brought along the way the NFL always brought along QB's until very recent years, this would be about the right time to give him his first(and not LAST) chance to start.

As an aside...I'm sick of the recent NFL culture of throwing young QB's to the wolves on bad teams, and then quickly giving up on them and discarding them when they predictably struggle.

EJ Manuel was a reach where they picked him, and he never should've been starting as a rookie or even 2nd year guy in the first place.

If he was being brought along the way the NFL always brought along QB's until very recent years, this would be about the right time to give him his first(and not LAST) chance to start.

The plan was always to bring EJ along slowly. It just went out the window because they thought Kolb would be the guy to hold down the fort until he was ready.

Anyways, I'm still rooting for EJ to get the job I think. Anyone but Cassel really; the numbers don't lie; EJ and Taylor have been FAR more effective and the offenses as a whole have been far more effective when they're on the field.

EJ looks like a completely different player this pre-season. It's really quite remarkable. I think he'll get a shot at some point this season, but I think I'm hoping he's the week 1 starter.

You never know with pre-season football though. Defenses generally don't try to confuse you much in the pre-season, so guys like Tyrod might look good now but struggle to read blitz packages and stuff in the regular season. I remember last year, everyone was glowing about how good Blake Bortles looked in the preseason and then he fell flat on his face once defenses started trying.

They released Fred. This one hurts. It's a business but I loved Fred and thought he had something left in the tank.

I'm not a huge Bryce Brown fan and was hoping to keep McCoy, Dixon and Fred as the RBs.

They released Fred. This one hurts. It's a business but I loved Fred and thought he had something left in the tank.

I'm not a huge Bryce Brown fan and was hoping to keep McCoy, Dixon and Fred as the RBs.

Karlos Williams will be the backup RB.

Wouldn't surprise me if Freddy requested to be released now so that he could catch on with another team and have a bigger role than he was going to have here. Hurts to see him go, but I'm happy for him. I think he'll get picked up very quickly.

Wouldn't surprise me if Freddy requested to be released now so that he could catch on with another team and have a bigger role than he was going to have here. Hurts to see him go, but I'm happy for him. I think he'll get picked up very quickly.

I forgot about Karlos since he didn't play Saturday, but you're right about that. You may be right about Fred asking for his release. I think he'll get picked up also - he's on my fantasy team. I picked him up on waivers to get rid of the two punters autodraft thought I needed. I'll still cheer for him unless it's a division rival. Even then, I might still cheer for Fred to do well and the rest of the team to suck.

Maybe they resign him at a lower salary.

Karlos Williams is the perfect compliment to Lesean McCoy. He really flashed in preseason. That's the one-two punch with Brown/Dixon as depth. There really wasn't room for a 34 year old RB who is nowhere near as physically talented as the top 3 RB's I just listed. Dixon is younger and plays special teams.

FJax wasn't going to be getting many touches this year, if any. Love the guy but the move makes total sense.

Karlos Williams is the perfect compliment to Lesean McCoy. He really flashed in preseason. That's the one-two punch with Brown/Dixon as depth. There really wasn't room for a 34 year old RB who is nowhere near as physically talented as the top 3 RB's I just listed. Dixon is younger and plays special teams.

FJax wasn't going to be getting many touches this year, if any. Love the guy but the move makes total sense.

Yeah it makes sense, but I have trouble removing the emotion with Fred. That's why I'll never be a GM for anything besides my fantasy team :)

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 29s30 seconds ago
Bills are going w Tyrod Taylor as their starting a QB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom